Love Inspired Books discussion

eReaders

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
A couple of friends and I were talking about reading preferences. I am firmly in the camp of preferring to read on paper, but I do have a Kindle.

I'm thinking about getting an iPad mini, mostly because I need a new iPod, and the price difference is such that it actually makes sense for me to go ahead and get the mini, which I can also use as an ereader.

I know some people prefer to read on their iPads, others like the Nook, others like Kobo, and some are Kindle fans.

Which formats do you use? Have you tried other formats? What's your preferred reading format?

Dream

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy I end up reading on my computer most of the time. It's nice having the NOOK and Kindle apps on my computer and phone. I just got a tablet, the apps are there as well. It's still nice to grab a physical book now and then.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 44 comments I have an iPad Mini, and a Kindle Fire and an Kindle "keyboard" (I think its the 1st generation small one??). I love my Kindle, but wanted to be able to access the internet, so I got the Fire. Unfortunately, the battery life on that was REALLY bad---even if I was just reading a Kindle book (no internet surfing) the batter lasted less than 8 hours.

My husband had the 2nd Gen iPad, and when the Mini came out, I wanted one--so he was great enough to get it for me for this past Christmas! I enjoy reading on it. I also have an iPhone so the ability to use the Mini (shared apps) for other things is great too!

I do keep my original Kindle for if I am ever going to read in the sun--I have not really tried the Mini outside, but the Fire was not so great (went on a cruise last fall & couldn't read too well outside on the deck).

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments I have the old kindle and love it we cant get nook here and I dont have an ipad or tablet. I will read on the computer but the kindle is so much easier. I do like books too but at present the kindle is kinder to a bad wrist

message 5: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) | 103 comments I was reading on the Nook Goodreads group about the iPad Mini. Several people had both the Nook and the Mini and they said that they enjoyed reading on the Mini a lot. Some people still prefer the Nook because of the e-Ink screen, but many of the Mini owners said they use the Mini for their ebooks over their Nook because it's a nicer screen.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 33 comments I have a Kindle that I enjoy reading but I discovered my Kindle for Android app for my phone and I am very happy with that. I have read at least two books since I downloaded the app. My phone is always with me so I can read that when I don't have my kindle. I still love having a paper book in my hand but I do enjoy ereaders as well.

message 7: by Shatara (new)

Shatara (lovepinkish) I read mostly on my Nook and iPhone. I also read paper books but not as often.

message 8: by Lynsay (new)

Lynsay | 14 comments I read on my Nook and paper books.

message 9: by Love Inspired (new)

Wow, this is all really good to hear! And you mini folks are making me feel more confident that I want to bite the bullet and get a mini. :)

Of course, paper will still rule at my house.

I am really enjoying having the variety of reading options, though.

Dream

message 10: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments Dream I love that going away recently even for a few days I had my kindle (left the book i was reading home by accident) but with the kindle I had options of what to read and read one and a half books which didn't need to be packed. its so much lighter. it was also easy to carry with me my medical appointment and the cricket.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 62 comments I read on my Nook, which I love, and also paper books. I have also tried the nook and kindle free computer apps on my laptop, the ipad, and the kindle, and of those I enjoy my Nook the most. I think I still prefer an actual book, however.

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Carter (CharlotteCarter) | 29 comments I recently spent a couple of really boring days in the hospital and was sooooo glad I'd gotten a Kindle for Christmas. Whew.....
Char....

message 13: by Janis Kay (new)

Janis Kay (riceball1759) | 33 comments I'm getting a Nook Simple Touch for technical reasons lol. Nook allows me to upload PDF and E-Pub files and Kindle only accepts it's own format...so I don't like that. The other main reason I'm getting an ereader in the first place is because there are books that I can only get in the ebook format -__- I didn't want another device I can surf the web (my smartphone does that lol); I just wanted something I could simply read with :)

[my 2 cents]

message 14: by Love Inspired (new)

I've definitely fallen in love with my Kindle for travel. I guess I need to travel more so I can put my Kindle to better use. :)

Dream

message 15: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) | 103 comments Does your thumb still get sore when you use your Kindle for too long? A Mini would be good because you only need to swipe to turn the page, which will be easier on your thumb. You don't want to reinjure that.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 76 comments I read alot of print books, but had the First Edition Nook which I liked, but then "upgraded" to the Nook HD recently, and love it because of the backlight and easy to use screen. =)

message 17: by Love Inspired (new)

Camy,that's part of why I want to get a mini.

message 18: by Belle (new)

Belle Calhoune (BelleC) | 22 comments Just got back from vacation and I did bring my Kindle, although I never used it once during my week in Bahamas. I gravitated towards my paperbacks. I do like my Kindle, but I'm in love with actual books.

message 19: by Love Inspired (new)

fun! I hope you had a good vacation!!a

message 20: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 44 comments Have a question, not sure where it belongs, but eReaders looked like a good spot!

What format are eBooks from the Harlequin site (Kindle, Nook)? I have never actually bought a book from the the Harlequin site directly, but found one I might like to purchase. I have a Kindle (and an iPad), so want to know what format the books are done in!

Thanks!

message 21: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments I think they have a variety of choices. you need mobi I think it is for kindle.

message 22: by Janis Kay (new)

Janis Kay (riceball1759) | 33 comments When I ordered an ebook from Harlequin (this was 5+ months ago), they sent it to me in an ePub format and recommended that I download Adobe Digital Editions, but from there you can transfer ebooks to your Nook/Kobo or anything that uses that format. Not sure about the other formats though...