Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Through the Fire
This topic is about Through the Fire
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Diane U and Melanie❀ Through the Fire by Shawn Grady

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9587 comments Mod
❀Diane U and Melanie❀ Through the Fire by Shawn Grady

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane, do you want to read this in halves?

message 3: by Diane U (last edited Mar 12, 2013 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane U (djuseless) What do you mean by that? Read half and then discuss it?

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yep. Read the first half, discuss, then read the last half, discuss. Does that sound good to you? If not, I'm fine with reading it however you want. :)

Diane U (djuseless) That'll work. I am reading on my kindle so we can talk at 50%. I should be starting it before the weekend.

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sounds good. :) I'll try to start it this weekend too. I'll be reading a print copy, so can we go by chapters instead of reading to 50%? Chapter-wise halves would be reading chapters 1-26, then 27-51 (the end). Looking forward to reading/discussing this book with you. :)

Diane U (djuseless) Sounds like a plan Melaine! I'll let you know when I start it! I love reading books about fire fighters. I also enjoy shows and movies about it like Chicago Fire or Rescue Me. I am hoping that this will just as good!

Diane U (djuseless) I just started it today! I'm on chapter 3!

message 9: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

:D I plan on starting it this weekend. :)

message 10: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just finished the first half. No rush - just wanted to let you know I'm ready to discuss when you are. :)

Diane U (djuseless) I just finished the first half while eating my lunch today at work.

So what do you think of it so far?

message 12: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm liking it. The story hasn't grabbed my attention yet, but it's good. Sometimes all the firefighter terms can get a little confusing (at least to me).

How about you?

Diane U (djuseless) It's keeping me interested too. I have read several fire fighter stories and this one is just as good. The story does flow nicely and the chapters are short so it is a quick read for me.

My problem is that I am not sure how I feel about Aiden. He seems like a good guy, but a work-a-holic, but I have not really been drawn to him. The story is keeping me going but I am not really connecting with the characters.

message 14: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I like that the chapters are short, too.

Yeah, I think the characters are probably one reason I'm not connecting with this book. They are okay, but none of them really stand out and are favorites to me.

I'm not sure how I feel about Aidan and his seeing things in the fires - definitely a different/weird aspect to the story. :)

I wonder if Julianne's suggestion has any merit and, if so, what Blake had to do with the fires.

Diane U (djuseless) I was starting to think the same thing about Blake. Considering Blake was having coffee with Aiden before Aiden met up with Julianne, when did Blake have time to mark up the evidence at the most recent fire?

message 16: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah... that is true.

I wasn't really surprised when Aidan's fiance broke up with him - especially after hearing about her goals in life. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I have a feeling Julianne and Aidan might become a couple. What about you?

Diane U (djuseless) Plus Aiden started remembering conversations with Christine about her house in Lake Tahoe, the latest Porsches and Coach purses. She is from a very different walk of life than he is.

I think Aiden and Julianne as a couple could be a possibility.

message 18: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

:) I can't think of anything else to discuss about this section... How about you?

Diane U (djuseless) I think we've covered it! Now let's finish it :)

message 20: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yep! :)

message 21: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished the book. No rush, though. Ready when you are. :)

Diane U (djuseless) I finished it last night. Overall, I thought it was okay. I still did not connect with Aiden or any other characters but it was a quick and easy read.

Did you think that Cormac was the arsonist? I was reading it in the living room, by myself, and I yelled what! I did not see that coming.

message 23: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah, I still didn't connect with the characters either. I liked the book, but it wasn't a favorite.

I did NOT see it being Cormac! I was so shocked when we found out it was him!

So I guess Blake really didn't have anything to do with setting the fires and there just wasn't that much evidence to gather...

It was an interesting scene when Aidan attacked/hit Blake.

I felt so nervous for Julianne when she couldn't feel her legs - so glad she ended up being all right. :)

Diane U (djuseless) I was starting to like Julianne too! When I read that it was a mini cooper in the accident, I knew it was her. The fires were getting more and more personal to Aiden and the department.

I liked how in the end, Aiden's mother left before breakfast and came back with Julianne. I guess you just assume that they end up together.

Did you read the end about the author? This was his first book and he was a Reno fire fighter and still lives in Reno with his wife and kids. It's cool that his personal experience was used to help make a more descriptive and believable story.

message 25: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I knew it was her too. Yeah, the fires were getting more and more personal to Aidan.

I liked that too. :) I assume they do end up together.

I did read the author's bio on the back of the book. It was cool how his personal experience probably helped with the story.

Now I want to read Shawn's other books even more. I'm sure they're going to be good.

Diane U (djuseless) Thanks for reading this with me Melaine! We'll have to do it again sometime soon!

message 27: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 3 stars

:) Ditto! Thanks for reading it with me, too. Made me read it way sooner. :)