The BURIED Book Club discussion

Emmanuel Bove
This topic is about Emmanuel Bove
unBURIED Authors A-D > Emmanuel Bove

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 25 comments I too own Winter's Journal and A Singular Man. I should get on those...

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 93 comments Great writer, although I can't seem to get into his other books... I started several but only finished My Friends and Winter's Journal.

message 3: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 93 comments !!!!

:)

I don't know why I'm so happy about this news... I have about 10 Boves on my bookshelf that I have yet to read ;) But I don't care, I'm still silly happy

message 4: by S̶e̶a̶n̶ (new)

S̶e̶a̶n̶ (nothingness) | 92 comments I just read the previously unreviewed A Singular Man. Great book. Definitely reminded me a bit of Walser, especially The Assistant. Glad to hear it seems he's poised for a revival.

message 5: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 93 comments Yay!

message 6: by S̶e̶a̶n̶ (new)

S̶e̶a̶n̶ (nothingness) | 92 comments I just finished reading A Man Who Knows and wouldn't recommend it unless you are a diehard Bove fan. Northwestern University Press, which published a paperback edition, says, "The last of Bove's major novels, A Man Who Knows is the most mature example of his celebrated style." Perhaps he is one of those writers who reach their pinnacle prior to 'maturity'.

message 7: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 25 comments Corvid wrote: "I just finished reading A Man Who Knows and wouldn't recommend it unless you are a diehard Bove fan. Northwestern University Press, which published a paperback edition, says, "The last of Bove's ma..."

Sorry to hear that...

message 8: by S̶e̶a̶n̶ (new)

S̶e̶a̶n̶ (nothingness) | 92 comments Yeah. It wasn't terrible, just nowhere near as good as the others I've read. I still have this one at home that I'm more optimistic about.

message 9: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 25 comments Ooh didn't know that one was out there, thanks!

message 10: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 93 comments Thanks, I didn't know about that one either. I thought I had all the Bove, but I guess I was missing some.

message 11: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 209 comments NYRB are also planning to release a new translation of My Friends. And Red Dust Press put out this: A Raskolnikoff

message 12: by S̶e̶a̶n̶ (new)

S̶e̶a̶n̶ (nothingness) | 92 comments I read A Raskolnikoff and would recommend it to Bove fans, although it's extremely short, barely what one thinks of as standard novella length. It's basically a Bove cocktail with a Dostoevskian twist.