RAOA Bibliophiles discussion

The Book Club > "April" book nomination time, fellow RAOA Biblies! Genre category for the month of April is "Fantasy".

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (Damnyoureloud), Moderator (new)

Sheila (Damnyoureloud) (damnyoureloud) | 140 comments Mod
Believe it or not, it's time to place nominations for our official April book selection! Is it just me, or is time truly flying?

Please use this thread to nominate books you'd like to have considered for our April "official book". The genre for April is "Fantasy" books. Please remember that nominated books must be 450 pages or less.

To increase your nomination's chances of being voted for, it would be a good idea to tell us a little bit about the book and why you feel it would make a great selection.

Nominations will remain open through Sunday, March 17th. On the 18th, we'll place all nominated books in a poll for voting.

I hope everyone is enjoying this month's selection, "A Walk in the Woods". Hopefully, we'll see a lot of you in the live discussion posts on RAOA on 3/30 and 3/31. As always, happy reading!

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Yesterday I read the book "The Knife of Never Letting Go." It is a YA book, but we know that doesn't mean the subject matter isn't mature.

I honestly could not put this book down. I was up way past my bedtime because I couldn't quit reading. It was nice to read a YA book from a boy's perspective. No sappy romance! Ha!

Even if this isn't chosen as the April book, I can't recommend it enough! I really loved it.

Here is the Goodreads synopsis:
Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives. But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...

message 3: by Sheila (Damnyoureloud), Moderator (new)

Sheila (Damnyoureloud) (damnyoureloud) | 140 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Yesterday I read the book "The Knife of Never Letting Go." It is a YA book, but we know that doesn't mean the subject matter isn't mature.

I honestly could not put this book down. I was up way p..."

Damn, you're fast! And that book sounds awesome! <3

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Lauren wrote: "Yesterday I read the book "The Knife of Never Letting Go."

I forgot to say that I am not usually a fan of dystopian fiction, but this time I really liked it. But it was upsetting and frightening. So, if you don't like that, you probably won't like the book. :)

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Sheila (Damnyoureloud) wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Yesterday I read the book "The Knife of Never Letting Go." It is a YA book, but we know that doesn't mean the subject matter isn't mature.

I honestly could not put this book down. ..."

Fast reading is my superpower. It is all I have. Since I am on spring break, I am really putting it to use!

I am not so great at retention, though. I do love re-reading books! That is why I nominate ones I have already read. :)

message 6: by Kristen (RAoA), Moderator (new)

Kristen (RAoA) Sutherland (piratekristen) | 52 comments Mod
I love you guys. Sincerely. And I really liked The Knife of Never Letting Go. It was also weird, which I think is good for a book club selection - very different and so lots to talk about.

I love fantasy! I want to nominate a book I haven't read before and maybe no one here has read? Or have you?

This looks interesting. And is very well reviewed.

Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard

Splintered

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (jewishpopcorn) American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I would like to nominate American Gods by Neil Gaiman. :)

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Amy (jewishpopcorn) wrote: "American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I would like to nominate American Gods by Neil Gaiman. :)"

That's a good one!

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Kristen (PaganPirate) wrote: "I love you guys. Sincerely. And I really liked The Knife of Never Letting Go. It was also weird, which I think is good for a book club selection - very different and so lots to talk about.

I ..."

I have not read that one!

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauralehman) Amy (jewishpopcorn) wrote: "American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I want to read this, so I second it!

message 11: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tczuwrites) | 7 comments Kristen (PaganPirate) wrote: "I love you guys. Sincerely. And I really liked The Knife of Never Letting Go. It was also weird, which I think is good for a book club selection - very different and so lots to talk about.

I ..."

I was wanting to read this!

message 12: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tczuwrites) | 7 comments Tamara wrote: "Kristen (PaganPirate) wrote: "I love you guys. Sincerely. And I really liked The Knife of Never Letting Go. It was also weird, which I think is good for a book club selection - very different an..."

By "this" I meant Splintered.

message 13: by Christina, Moderator (new)

Christina | 8 comments Mod
I'll nominate "Matched" http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77... as it's been on my to-read list for a while, reminds me of the Hunger Games and Uglies series, and is the only fantasy book I have listed that is within the page limit! :D

message 14: by Christina, Moderator (new)

Christina | 8 comments Mod
Also, American Gods is pretty bangarang.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Ha! American Gods is bangarang. I also liked Matched!

The only one I haven't read is Splintered. That might be getting my vote!

message 16: by FancyPancakes (new)

FancyPancakes | 7 comments I just got American Gods actually, and am pretty stoked to read it, but my copy is 588 pages long, so isn't it too long to be nominated?

Eve (revanche900) (revanche900) | 19 comments I'm going to nominate an ebook that I picked up in the free section. I didn't expect much, but it was surprisingly good. I went on to devour the entire series.

The Queen's Blade by T.C. Southwell

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

Summary:
In a world where men share kindred with beasts, the Idol of the Beasts predicts a child who will end the Endless War after centuries of strife, but first the enemy king must die and his son be brought to the Jashimari Queen in chains…

After numerous failed attempts, killing King Shandor seems impossible, until an assassin offers to do the deed. His success places the Crown Prince at Queen Minna-Satu’s mercy, and Blade becomes the instrument of her wrath. Forged in the fires of fury, his heart died long ago in the desert kingdom. His glance is as icy as his smile is disarming, and the fires of passion will never stir his blood. He is the Master of the Dance in Jondar, the best to ever hold the title.

Driven by hatred and with the skills of his trade, he will usher in a time of strife and pain that will live in legend, and forever bear his name. He is the instrument who can change fate. He is the Queen’s Blade.

message 18: by R.chapman (new)

R.chapman Lauren wrote: "Amy (jewishpopcorn) wrote: "American Gods by Neil Gaiman

That's a good one!"

I agree with this one!