Read It Forward discussion

Book Chats > DARK PLACES by Gillian Flynn

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (last edited Mar 13, 2013 08:00AM) (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments I hope it's OK to start a new topic. But I can't post to readitforward.com.

I won from readitforward.com three Gillian Flynn books, GONE GIRL, SHARP OBJECTS, and DARK PLACES. I read GONE GIRL first because it was such a hit at the time, but Flynn actually wrote the other two books first.

I've read all three now. I just finished DARK PLACES last night. What a great book! Here's my writeup.

DARK PLACES was written by Gillian Flynn before she wrote her 2012 smash success GONE GIRL. Although the two books are different, DARK PLACES is every bit as good as GONE GIRL, and I encourage you to read it. It's a five-star book.

This book begins with a declaration by one main character that will interest you right away. There's no wait of several pages or chapters here, no wondering whether you should give up after page 50.

From there, you will learn, little by little, of an event 30 years ago. You think you see what happened until you see it from another main character's perspective. And every chapter divulges more and more information.

I see in DARK PLACES as well as Flynn's other two books that she has a definite style. That is, all three of her books grab your attention on page 1 and tell the story from different points of view while going back and forth in time.

DARK PLACES should have been the success that GONE GIRL is. Who knows why it wasn't; it really is that good. But I predict that it will be recognized more now when readers of GONE GIRL become curious, as I did, to read Flynn's other books.

Please be glad I skimp on details. I don't tell you the story so you can discover it as you read the book. How can a thriller be thrilling or a mystery be mysterious otherwise?

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris | 2 comments I totally agree with you. I have been following Gillian Flynn since her first novel "Sharp Objects". She is always unpredictable. I want to go back and read them again before the movies come out since it has been so long since I read them. I look forward to her future work.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments Chris wrote: "I totally agree with you. I have been following Gillian Flynn since her first novel "Sharp Objects". She is always unpredictable. I want to go back and read them again before the movies come out si..."

Movies? I didn't hear about movies.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris | 2 comments I read somewhere (a while back) that the movie rights were purchased at one point for Gone Girl and possibly one of the others..haven't heard if they are in production yet...There was speculation on who would play Amy..

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 7 comments Thanks for the review. I didn't love Gone Girl, but I'll have to check out her other books. What ever happened to Read It Forward? I haven't been getting any emails from them.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments Rachel wrote: "What ever happened to Read It Forward? I haven't been getting any emails from them."

I was wondering the same thing. So after I read this book, because I got it from readitforward.com, I went ahead and started a topic on it. Maybe the Read It Forward folks are busy with their Web site? But since they changed their Web site, it won't let me comment there anymore unless I use the latest browser. I have no control over that. So readitforward.com will have to either fix their Web site or get involved here again if they want my comments (which I'm sure isn't high on their priority list).