Torrance Public Library discussion

General > What are your top-5 favorite books?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Torrance Public Library (TorrancePublicLibrary) | 5 comments Mod
Feel free to share!

message 2: by Anthony (last edited Mar 12, 2013 11:17AM) (new)

Anthony (whythelastman) | 2 comments Mod
Agh! This is such a fun, yet tough question. This will probably definitely change in the future, but at this point in time in my life, my top-5 favorite books are:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Making Comics Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels by Scott McCloud Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

message 3: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 4 comments Mod
Gone With the Wind - epic historical romance, with war and politics, strong women, and evolution of each character over time. Plus a love triangle. Or a love square, I guess.

Fellowship of the Ring - the best quest story ever told. Sexy hero (no, not Frodo). Adventure and magic.

Outlander - historical romance, strong woman character, sexy hero in a kilt, adventure and magic.

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati - historical romance, strong woman character, sexy hero in buckskin, adventure, forbidden romance, love triangle.

The fifth is a challenge there are a whole bunch. I would select as a sample Jane Emily by Patricia Clapp. Strong woman character, historical romance, magic.

Hmmmm ... I notice a theme in my own selections!

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 40 comments I have way to many favorite books so I'm going with favorite authors:
Janet Evanovich & Jennifer Cruise - they always makes me laugh.
Suzanne Brockmann - SEALS, sex and suspense.
Julie Garwood & Judith McNaught - The way these two write historicals and bring the families into modern times is awesome.
Linda Howard & Sandra Brown - sizzleing passion and down right scary suspense.

And many, many more.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite books tend to shift and change year to year, but my "constants" (books I will always love) are -

1. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo - this is the book that has touched me the most on a personal level
2. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - this is without a doubt the most exciting book I've ever read
3. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - I read this at least twice a year
4. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - my "guilty" pleasure, there are better books, but it's an old favorite
5. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - I love this simple story of rebirth and 2nd chances, it's a beautiful story

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 40 comments Traci, I see that you are a very classic reader. I tend to like contemporizes, although I do have all your books on my Kindle.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually read everything and anything. You wouldn't know it by my favorites list, but I'm a big fantasy/sci-fi reader. I also read mysteries, horror, romance, young adult... anything really. But I've been on a classic kick lately and these are my favorites.

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 40 comments I have been reading and reviewing ARC books before publication since the first of the year and most of then have been romance and romantic-suspense.

Hello Everyone!
Hillary Theyer, City Librarian

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 40 comments Hi Hillary, I have a question for you. What do you see as the purpose for this Goodreads discussion site? It is hard to get a meaningful discussion going on a particular book and from what I see the people who post all favor different genre.

Purpose is vague right now, discuss reading. We have several projects in the works to make use of this site though, and I am an avid personal GoodReads user, so I know the power.

Stay tuned! Hillary