Douglas County Libraries RA Group discussion

Books about Famous Wives

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dedra (new)

Dedra | 13 comments Has anyone else noticed the trend for literary fiction novels about wives/mistresses of famous men? There was Loving Frank and The Paris Wife and the latest is The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin (about Anne Morrow Lindbergh) which I enjoyed but it was pretty sad.

Another new one I enjoyed is Above All Things by Tanis Rideout. It's about the wife/marriage of George Mallory who was a British climber who died on Mt. Everest and there is still controversy over whether he actually made it to the top (this was in 1924 and years before Edmund Hillary's climb). He's the one who famously answered,"Because it's there" when asked why he wanted to climb Mt. Everest. I did think the sections about the wife back home were a lot weaker than the sections about Mallory (but it would be hard to make her role as exciting as his!)

And there is another one coming out this summer titled Freud's Mistress.

Dedra

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments I've got "Above All Things" in my to-read stack - looking forward to it.

But, hey, when are we going to start seeing novels about husbands of famous women? (Michelle Obama, Hilary Clinton & Mother Teresa excepted, of course!)

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill | 11 comments It's funny you mention it, because for years I've wanted to do a display of "famous relations," or "famous by association," or something along those lines. I've never quite figured out the perfect way to go about doing a display, but a few years ago there were suddenly piles and piles of books titled "The Heretic's Wife," "The Pilot's Wife," "The General's Daughter," "Hemingway's Girl," etc. Any ideas?

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments "The French Lieutenant's Woman" - whoops, not a relation and definitely not recent! Okay, I'll totter back to my rocking chair now...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

And coming soon Defiant Brides: The Untold Story of Two Revolutionary-Era Women and the Radical Men They Married. I have always wanted to do a display on related authors, husbands/wives, parent/child since we have so many in the collection.