Eating Animals Eating Animals question

Has this changed your eating habits
Donna Theimer Donna Mar 12, 2013 09:21AM
Although I decided to become vegan about 3 months ago, I just finished 'Eating Animals' and it has made the decision more solid. After the chapter covering the pigs, I literally cried. For a non-fiction book, this was the first time that it was impossible to put the book down. It's changed my life, and I suspect that it is changing my son's life (as he is reading it now).

No, I'm still an omnivore (don't hate!). However, it's made me much more mindful of factory farming practices. If it's this bad now, how much worse will it get in the future? I'm not so sure I can knowingly contribute to such a system. It's no wonder that meatless Mondays are catching on!

Marietje (last edited Jul 05, 2013 07:39PM ) Jul 05, 2013 07:37PM   1 vote
Yes, it set me of on a whole new course. I became vegetarian, try to eat as much food from my local farmers market, and started reading books by other authors on the subject like Frances Moore- Lappe. The book made me into a food activist.

I was a vegetarian before I read Eating Animals, so it didn't change my habits much. But I do believe it was one of the most important books I've ever read. Congratulations on becoming vegan and thank you for sharing the message with your son. I hope in my lifetime factory farming will end.

I was already vegan when I read it, so I wouldn't say it changed my eating habits. What it did was inform me of the reality, that I already knew but knew so little about, it brought some insight of the cruelty that happens in the farms and the reality of the fish industry (which is usually not mentioned as much as the meat industry in other books, yet it's still very important and damaging).
I can't expect all people that read the book to change into a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle or diet, but if you've read the book I hope it helped you understand the reasoning behind being vegan and with time, you open your mind and if you can (cause I understand not everyone can go vegan/veggie, for several reasons) you involve yourself more into this amazing diet!

I read this as a meat-eater, not expecting to change my eating habits, yet it completely changed the way I eat. My husband read it and decided to stop eating animals as well. The book is eye-opening and I only wish I had read it sooner.

I was vegan before I read it. However, if I had been a meat eater, this book would have changed my mind.

Kind of... I have been that on again off again type of vegetarian for about 3 years now. Recently when I eat the little meat that I always have this book pops up in the back of my mind. Chicken has been especially hard for me to eat because I get the picture of the one girl killing the chick out of mercy.

I was a vegetarian when i read it. but this book helps me to stick to my diet, it always reinforces that i am doing the right thing. i slipped from veganism recently and go back to this book and similar once to remind myself why veganism is the way to go

Yes, I am a vegetarian after reading this and readily share my thoughts with anyone who wants to listen. As already stated above, I also now consider myself a food/animal activist.

Didn't change my food choices - am an 18 yr vegan - but has caused me to examine my belief that I can sit out the of the agribiz discussion. I'm not an activist type, but I feel like I am responsible if not for doing something to try to end the cruelty at least to spread the word of the coming poopocalypse.

I read it when I was 13. So, quite shocked, I quickly stopped eating any meat for a year. But then I kind of began eating it again. It was fairly difficult to stay vegetarian if you're 14 and your mother still cooks your meals (and there's the school canteen etc) and I just kind of forgot to avoid eating meat.
I'm now 16 and some months ago there was a lecture in school two vegetarian girls held and I remembered the decision I once made and I'm not eating any meat since.
I was always glad I read the book. Even if you choose to eat meat, you just have to realize what it means.

Yes, but not immediatelly. Though I believe that the only people who read this book are already vegetarian or wanting to be.

Those who SHOULD read it would not read it, I don't think... To quote Jonathan Safran Foer: You can't convince someone who doesn't want to be convinced.

But now we can articulate ourselves better and we know more facts about factory farming, so maybe we'll convince someone to read it.

Jennifer Well said!
Jul 03, 2014 09:15AM

Annemieke (last edited Oct 08, 2016 06:34AM ) Feb 07, 2015 08:38AM   0 votes
I was playing with the thought of trying out vegan or at least living more vegan than I did. Though when I was reading this book the whole plan became definitely more solid and I decided to 'transform' within the very next year(read it about november 2012).

Then the Vegan Challenge (starting in februari 2013) crossed my path ánd I started with activities for the Vegetarian Association. These two speeded up working out my decission as well as exploring the whole not-eating-meat-thing some more.

Nowadays I am proud to say that eating meat is definitely history for me, as well as most dairy and eggs. I am learning more every day since I started running my life on a 'plant-powered-basis'.

There is a lot I learned from this book (and from other books about this topic as well). Although there is also a lot in it which I already knew, without letting in the consequences of my own behaviour in this matter. I knew, I knew I was not at ease with it myself and I still kept on doing. I kept on doing with something I did not agree with deep inside. I did not act conform what my heart was telling me al along. Uptil ...

My world opened up by acting on this, also the food part. Especially the food part, for this is so much included in life itself.

So for short: YES it did ánd at the same time it did not change the course I was following. :D

Yes. I think this book should be required reading for all high school students.

it is not gonna make me a vegetarian, but I will def try and avoid factory farmed meat products. Thankfully in india here we still have regular meat in preponderance...

This book has completely changed my eating habits after i read it in 2010. It showed me a cruel reality whose existence i already knew of but it a life changing perspective. Definitely a must read for all decision-makers everywhere.

I read it as a vegetarian when it came out. I became a vegan about a year and a half later. It's hard to know what impact it had on me. I don't give it main credit, I reserve that honor to the podcast Vegetarian Food for Thought as felt that listening to that program was the real turning point for me, but I am sure that it helped "set the table" for my change.