Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Publication Dates in Personal Bookshelves

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is another problem with manga. Since they often have two release dates (the release date in Japan and the release date in whatever country, for me it's the US), the release dates show up weird in shelves. For example, some of the Beauty Pop release dates show up in my bookshelves as "unknown", but when you click on the book they have the Viz publication date. However, the volumes with the original publication date will show the original publication date in my shelf.

Also, the Beauty Pop pub. dates need to be fixed anyway because only volumes 1, 3, 7, 9, and 10 have original publication dates and I'm pretty sure they're incorrect. This is more of an assumption at the moment, but I don't think the first volume was released in 2004 only for the third volume to be released 3 years later in 2007. It doesn't usually take that long to release volumes. Plus, there's no way volumes 3 and 9 were released on Jan. 1, 2007, yet volume 10 was released Jan. 1, 2008 and volume 7 was released March 4, 2008. Oh, and the Viz publication date on volume 1 is Sept. 5, 2006. So, things are not adding up. However, the Viz dates are consistent, but should be checked for accuracy.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I just checked the Viz website. All the dates were indeed correct, except for one that was off by a few days, which I changed.

message 3: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Your shelves are using "date pub" which is the original publication date that is edited in work settings at the bottom of the edit page. For Japanese manga, this date should always be the first Japanese publication date. There are many books that don't have the work settings completely filled out, this isn't just a manganese issue.

On your shelves you can select "date pub (ed)" which is the edition specific date, which will solve your unknown issue and show you (in this case) the Viz dates.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh. I didn't know there was a difference. Thanks. However, I would still like to fix the Beauty Pop original release dates. Here's what came up on the Japanese Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_n...

Volume 10 has an incomplete date, but the dates match on Wiki, so I think I'm safe to assume I can use the Wiki date for vol. 10.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Amazon and other booksellers CANNOT be used as a source for any book data on Goodreads.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh. I tried using the Shogakukan website, and even when it translated it's still a confusing website. I'm not sure where to turn for accurate pub dates.

message 7: by Banjomike (last edited Mar 12, 2013 10:13AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Wednesday wrote: "Oh. I tried using the Shogakukan website, and even when it translated it's still a confusing website. I'm not sure where to turn for accurate pub dates."

Wikipedia claim to get their dates from the Shogakukan site (with links etc):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_P...

message 8: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I added the Japanese editions from Shogakukan and updated the work settings.