Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1) Along Came a Spider question

Alex Cross Too White?
Demetrius Sherman Demetrius (last edited Mar 14, 2013 11:15AM ) Mar 12, 2013 08:04AM
People have posted that Alex Cross is nothing like a black man, but is white. What specifically about Alex Cross is white?
What, if any changes should be made to Cross?
Or is he fine the way he is?

Kimberly (last edited Mar 12, 2013 08:37AM ) Mar 12, 2013 08:35AM   2 votes
I have read similar posts and my response is that people truly need to stop stereotyping. I think, in a sense, calling someone "too white" is quite racist. How can people even formulate that opinion? I am doing my best to not step on any toes, so here goes that attempt.

What makes him too white? The fact that he's an educated man and doesn't speak in ebonics or slang? Well, not all black people speak like that and plenty of white people do, so no, that could not possibly be the reason.

Oh, maybe it's because Alex is not involved in criminal activity but rather on the right side of the law, for the most part. Oh, wait, that would be implying that one might assume that all white people abide by the law. Hmm. That doesn't really seem fitting or non-racist either, does it?

It's because Alex just acts too white. What does that even mean? How can you come to that conclusion? Last time I checked, white is only a skin color, NOT a character trait.

The point of the three reasons I posted is basically to show that it would be rather difficult to come up with true reasons as to why Alex Cross is too white without sounding racist against black or white people. I have seen those three reasons listed before on other forums and it disgusted me.

It gives descriptions through out the books, I believe at one time, I forget the quote, but he is even compared to looking like Muhammad Ali. That would imply that he is black. Also, the description of his children and family make it quite apparent that he is black, as well.

My response is not to offend anyone, the examples I used are examples that I have seen previously and wanted to use to point out just how narrow-minded people can be. At the end of the day, Alex Cross is an amazing character that James Patterson has created and white or black, this fictional character will forever be a living legend to Patterson fans.

M 25x33
Demetrius Sherman Kimberly gave a strong argument
Mar 20, 2013 09:12AM

James (last edited Mar 12, 2013 01:57PM ) Mar 12, 2013 01:57PM   1 vote
when I read it I pictured a black man(without seeing the films first) I pictured someone more like Denzel Washington than Morgan Freeman, Morgan just seems too old for this role.

Too white?? If anything, when I'd read the Alex Cross books, before seeing a photo of James Patterson, I'd assumed Patterson was black! Then, I thought there had to be another James Patterson cos I couldn't get my head around how a white author could write a black character so well (yes, I'm black). At the end of the day, I guess it really doesn't matter. A good writer can write about any race, color, creed, whatever, and Patterson is very good. And, nothing against Morgan Freeman. He's great as Cross as well as in any role I've ever seen him in. But, I used to see Wesley Snipes (or someone closer to his age - well, this was a few years ago, lol) when I'd read about Cross.

Nicely said, Kimberly. I heartily agree.

M 25x33
Demetrius Sherman Not to be confused: In "Along Came Spider" Cross says "Some people called him coconut. Brown outside. White inside." This isn't a black person acting ...more
Jun 26, 2013 01:46PM

I honestly was a little surprised that he's a black man, at the beginning I didn't so, until he verbally said he was black. But that could be a lot because I'm familiar with Patterson's writing and it didn't seem like a turn he would make, but I believe he's doing a great job!
This series is turning out to be pretty good, it did take me a little longer then most to get into this book because it was slow going, but now it's taking off and I look forward to see how he will end this book, and what's to come in the next.