Native American (American Indian) GoodReads Members discussion

General Chat > Greetings

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chanda (new)

Chanda Lonewolf-Fuller | 1 comments Hello, I'm new to the groups and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chanda Lonewolf. I am Kiowa born in Hobart, Oklahoma. I am married to a military man, army more specifically, and have 3 children. I loved to read and write ( although it is a very novice attempt)

message 2: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 26 comments Hi Chanda and welcome to the group :)

message 3: by Leigh (last edited Mar 31, 2013 09:14AM) (new)

Leigh Podgorski (leighpod) | 21 comments Hello Everyone, I am brand new to the group. I was just told about this group by another author, Karen Rae Levine who wrote SISTER RAVEN among other books. I have worked very closely with California elder Katherine Siva Saubel and from her oral history developed the one act play WE ARE STILL HERE. Subsequently, I was able to raise enough money to produce a documentary about her by the same title. Before I met Katherine, I spent many years researching the Ute Indians. I had stumbled upon their story and the shameful way they had been betrayed by the US government and pushed out of their Shining Mountains of Colorado. My book OURAY'S PEAK was written first as a trilogy of plays, then adapted to a screenplay, which won several awards), and now has been adapted to a novel. My work with Native Americans has had a profound effect on my and my writing that resonates through everything that I do. It has been wonderful to be a part of the Los Angeles creative Native American community! More about Katherine Siva Saubel, the documentary and my work can be seen on my web site www.VioletHillsProductions.com. Or you can simply ask me! I am very happy to have found this group!

message 4: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 26 comments Hi Leigh and welcome to the group :)

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Podgorski (leighpod) | 21 comments Hi Eden! Thank you. I am looking forward to being here!

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Levine (karenraelevine) | 27 comments Welcome! I'm looking forward to reading Ouray's Peak.

message 7: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Podgorski (leighpod) | 21 comments Thank you very much. Also I am about to read SPIRIT IN THE RED AMBER by John Gschwend. Many good things to look forward to. I need a 48 hour day!

message 8: by Armada (new)

Armada Volya | 1 comments Hi, I'm Armada.

I am very interested in different mythologies and cultures. I've been trying to find good literature on Native American culture, but most of the books I find are for the period during and after Columbus' landing. I was able to find a couple of books on Oglala and Crow culture, and a few books on Native Americans in general. Would love to find out more though. Anyone got any tips?

message 9: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Podgorski (leighpod) | 21 comments Hi Karen...I know you are very busy and out there in the world doing remarkable things, but I was wondering if you might have had the time yet to read OURAY'S PEAK. I have just received another five star review, which I have pasted below. The review has posted to Amazon and GoodReads. Obviously, the more voices I can get to join the chorus, the better -- and yours would be a most welcome one. Hope all is well with you, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Leigh Podgorski (leighpod) | 14 comments Ouray's Peak, by Leigh Podgorski- Five Star Review!!!: http://wp.me/p2GxLt-vL via @CFalinHammond
Ouray’s Peak, by Leigh Podgorski- Five Star Review!!!
17619681♥♥♥♥♥
Although I love many books, give many four and five star reviews, it is rare that a book seems to physically move me. From start to finish, “Ouray’s Peak” by Leigh Podgorski was a book which wrapped me up in the story. I could feel what the characters were feeling, see what they were seeing, and hear what they were saying. The story touches me. Although I am not Ute, I have a strong Native American lineage, and I know well many of the things done to the people- of varying tribes. The story conveys it’s deep seeded message in an entertaining way, and the word choice is…perfect. I really am not sure what words I can use to explain just how truly gripping, thrilling, touching, and…perfect… this story really is. I’m rambling, and I know this, but allow me to say this: I recommend this book to everyone. Everyone. If you can put this book down after you pick it up, you are a stronger person than I am, because I found it nearly impossible. The only reason this book got put down were things I couldn’t postpone any longer- supper was already late, the errands were put to the last minute…and I finished this book in a single day. Honestly. It’s not that short, either, but I…well, I couldn’t stop reading. You won’t either. Read this book. Trust me.
*This review was written by Chelsea*