Perspective Plus discussion

Chit Chat > A cautionary tale

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (last edited Mar 12, 2013 07:36AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 1031 comments Mod
I found out last week that I unwittingly and inadvertently,almost killed myself.

Yes, you read that correctly. I almost killed myself and I was not trying to cause myself harm. In fact, I thought I was being healthy. I was drinking grapefruit juice.

I have known for a long time that grapefruit and it's juice can mess with cholesterol medications and that one needs to be careful about WHEN you had and IF you had grapefruit of any kind. Well, week before last, I was drinking grapefruit juice with my morning pills. Now, I switch juices from cranberry blends to grape to orange each week. I drink only 100% juice and measure out exactly 4 o.z. which is one full serving of fruit. Later in the day I will have 4 more oz. of juice to ensure a minimum of 2 servings of fruit a day when I can.

So, in the morning, I take my thyroid pill (which must be taken on an empty stomach so you can absorb it), my mild blood pressure pill, a few supplements and a birth control pill. Nothing strange or out of the ordinary for many people. I take my cholesterol pill in the evening as it supposed to work better then, along with my vitamin and a few other supplements.

O.K. so there I go with my usual and the grapefruit juice. I was fine for a day or two then I started to feel like hell. My lower back was hurting, I felt tired,and just plain awful. Going from the den to the front door to get the mail was torture when it is less than 100 steps. I had a hard time with stairs and when I went swimming the first 1/4 mile almost did me in, let alone finishing the 1/2 mile.

I had no idea what was wrong and was blaming the new birth control pills as they were out of my usual generic at the pharmacy. (They are part of big recall.) So, I'm thinking that perhaps my body is reacting to a dye or filler and that I will be fine soon. So, last week I start a bottle of grape juice and start to feel better. I assume I am now used to the new pills. It was an article in "Reader's Digest" (May,2013) that clued me in. Grapefruit and it's juice can mess with blood pressure, cholesterol, thyroid and a plethora of prescription drugs across the board. Since 2008, the list is growing pretty much by the day of what drugs it messes with. Compounds can make your pills work like 5, block absorption, and other fun stuff.

I'm fine now, and I will stay away from grapefruit and it's juice. I am allowed to eat say a Dole fruit cup serving of it every once in a while, but not with my meds.

I think I'll just say no from now on.

Sheesh! See, I wasn't another year older yet, but I am now wiser.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 228 comments Reactions:

THANK THE GODS you are all right!

WOW! I never knew that about grapefruit!

And now a teaching moment from your friendly neighborhood teacher... from a dietician/ biological chemistry standpoint fruit juice is the worst way possible to get your fruit in. Yes, its better than sodas and sugary drinks, but not by a whole lot. Our bodies operate by converting EVERYTHING, even beef, into sugar. Its how the body gets energy to function. For metabolic health its all about how FAST that food converts to sugar in the bloodstream (hence diabetics turning to juice if their sugar levels drop). Juice enters the bloodstream as sugar within 2 minutes, where whole fruit takes around 5 minutes. In order of preference, its fresh fruit, dried or frozen fruit, canned fruit packed in juice, canned fruit packed in light syrup, canned fruit packed in heavy syrup, and last fruit juices. Disclaimer: this information is a few years old, but I don't see how it could have changed very much.

Teaching moment ended, back to thankfulness that you are OK!

message 3: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 1031 comments Mod
Thank you. I did not mean to scare anyone, much less myself. This explains why a 1/4 mile in the pool was so hind-end kicking.

All that about fruit is true, but it is a good way to get fruit in with other things. Again, it is all in HOW you utilize the fruit juice. 1) I drink it with slow carbs and 2)I limit myself to 100% juice and to only 8oz. a day. I do eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies so it balances out along with the fact that it has kept my sweets consumption down, but that may be all of the fresh stuff.

You have to watch dried as the sugars are VERY concentrated and may have even more added to preserve/add to flavor. Canned or prepackaged fresh fruits may be in syrup and not in their juice, thus adding even more sugar. Fruit sugars are more complex than refined sugars and those in 100% juices are better than 10% cocktails. Flash frozen (IQF) are the best over canned if possible when fresh is not available.

I live with a Type II so I kinda have had to learn this stuff over the years.