Other Books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by HelenLee (new)

HelenLee | 15 comments Mod
Help us decide what other books to add to our "to-read" list

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan Hi there!
I'm looking forward to reading along with the group (I read Guernsey about a year ago but liked it enough to read, or at least skim) it again. As for mire suggested titles, do you plan to include books about letter writing & collections of letters or only epistolary novels? My TBR list includes all. :)
Best regards,
Jan

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Feiertag | 92 comments Mod
Jan,

I don't think any of us have even given those options any thought. Why don't you post some of your suggestions and let's see what others think?

Ruth

message 4: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 31 comments Mod
Jan,

I would definitely be up for including those! That would give us many more reading options (always a good thing).

Cassie

message 5: by HelenLee (new)

HelenLee | 15 comments Mod
Friends,

I would also be up for including letter collections!

Helen

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberstults) | 5 comments I don't see why we wouldn't include letter collections. I've seen collected letters from Mary Wollstonecraft, Neal Cassady and others so they're from a wide range of time periods.

message 7: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 31 comments Mod
Would anyone be interested in Where'd You Go, Bernadette? I saw it described as "part epistolary, part found footage and part real scenes." It could be a fun read!

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. My daughter had last week off for Easter/spring break so I didn't get much time on the computer.

Here are a few ideas of possible titles (both letter compilations and books about letter writing) but I'm open to more. :) Some of these I've already read but most are still on my TBR list.
Letter compilations:
- The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O'Connor - edited by Sally Fitzgerald
- The Letters of E.B. White
- C.S. Lewis’ Letters
- Letters from Colette
- My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams – M.Hogan, C.Taylor, and J. Ellis, editors
- Letters to a Young Poet – Rainer Maria Rilke

Books about letter writing:
- Gift of a Letter - Alexandra Stoddard (** this is one of my favorites & I often go back to it whenever I'm in a letter writing slump)
- The Art of the Personal Letter - Margaret Shepherd
- The Art of the Handwritten Note - Margaret Shepherd
- Just Write: The Art of Personal Correspondence - Molly O'Shaugnessy
- The Handcrafted Letter - Diane Maurer-Mathison
- Writing Personal Notes & Letters – Jennifer Williams (& the editors of Victoria magazine)
- Personal Notes: How to Write from the Heart for Any Occasion - Sandra Lamb
- Always First Class: The Pleasure of Person Letters – Lois Barry

message 9: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 31 comments Mod
Dear Jan,

Yes to the Flannery O'Conner and E.B. White! These led me to discover some others that look interesting, The Letters of Virginia Woolf: Vol. 1 and The Brontës: A Life in Letters. Not sure how easily available these are, but they would be interesting!

I would love to read some of the books about letter writing that you listed too.

Cassie

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Feiertag | 92 comments Mod
Cassie wrote: "Would anyone be interested in Where'd You Go, Bernadette? I saw it described as "part epistolary, part found footage and part real scenes." It could be a fun read!"

Cassie,

Yes, I'd be interested in this one too! It seems we have two discussions about books to read going on. Is there anyway to combine them?

Ruth

message 11: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 31 comments Mod
Dear Readers,

I discovered more fun in a group list today! Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot looks delightful!

Cassie

message 12: by Lanelle (last edited Apr 05, 2017 02:25PM) (new)

Lanelle Cassie wrote: "Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot looks delightful! "

That book is one of my favorites!