100 Books Challenge discussion

Book Challenges > Martha's challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 159 (159 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Martha (last edited Oct 12, 2021 11:15PM) (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 860 comments Mod
Will work on this, but no idea when I'll finish. I'll set a goal for this year in a bit.

64/100

1. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery - read 2013
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - last read 2011
3. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - read 2008
4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - last read 2011, reread 2014, reread 2019
5. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry 6/25/19
6. 1984 by George Orwell - read decades ago, 60s, last read 12/18/14
7. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - read in 60s, also 6/16/15
8. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
9. The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
10. Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald 3/14/19
11. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
12. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - last read 2011
13. Little Women by L.M. Alcott - read years ago, most recent read 8/4/14
14. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
15. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - last read 2013
16. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger read 5/12/20
17. The Crystal Shard by R. A. Salvatore 3/19/13
18. Dracula by Bram Stoker - read 2010, 2016
19. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling - last read 2012
20. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling - read several years ago, reread 6/14/19
21. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenixby J.K. Rowling
22. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
23. Life of Pi by Yann Martel 6/20/16
24. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry read in 2021
25. The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
26. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch 6/2/15
27. The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins 8/28/13
28. Persuasion by Jane Austen 9/3/14
29. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - read sometime in the 60s as a teenager
30. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis - not sure when I read this, 8-10 yrs ago
31. The Poisonwood Bible by Barabra Kingsolver
32. A Moveable Feast: The Restored Edition by Ernest Hemingway - 5/15/13
33. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens - read in the '60s, read again 2/24/15
34. Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery 12/27/15

35. Blindness by Jose Saramago
36. Emma by Jane Austen - read 2012
37. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling - most recent read 5/19/15
38. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
39. Jurassic Park by Micheal Crichton
40. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden 3/7/14
41. On the Road by Jack Kerouac 8/12/18
42. Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley 7/12/16
43. The Bible - ongoing, I know many don't like this, but I love it!

44. The Clan of the Cave Bear, the Valley of Horses, the Mammoth Hunters, the Plains of Passage by Jean M. Auel - read long ago, not sure when
45. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman
46. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood 2/11/17
47. The Husband by Dean Koontz2/28/17

48. The Lizard Cage by Karen Connelly
49. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton 5/24/14
50. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - 4/7/13, 2016
51. The Stand by Stephen King - read many years ago
52. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - read 2008
53. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 8/18/19
54. Juliet by Anne Fortier - 4/18/13
55. A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
56. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle - 12/5/13
57. Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks - 11/26/13
58. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy -
59. A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 4/28/13
60. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl 1/7/16

61. Cirque Du Freak, Three Books in One: A Living Nightmare, The Vampire's Assistant, Tunnels of Blood by Darren Shan
62. Dragonwyck by Anya Seton 11/4/13
63. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
64. Deadly Appearances by Gail Bowen
65. Eragon by Christopher Paolini - I've tried a couple of times to read this, but will give it at least one more time. :-)
66. Exodus by Leon Uris - 1960s, 11/10/16
67. Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic by Martha N. Beck 5/28/17
68. Five Smooth Stones by Ann Fairbairn 10/7/17
69. Jack Maggs by Peter Carey read in 2021
70. Mary Todd Lincoln: A Biography by Jean Baker - 9/8/13

71. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
72. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis 1/7/18
73. Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers
74. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
75. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
76. North and South by John Jakes 3/19/13
77. Not Wanted On The Voyage by Timothy Findley
78. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
79. Sabriel by Garth Nix 7/12/15
80. Scarlet Feather by Maeve binchey 4/20/14
81. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
82. Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye 6/21/18
83. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
84. The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
85. The Cure For Death By Lightning by Gail Anderson-Dargatz
86. The Englishman's Boy by Guy Vanderhaeghe
87. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
88. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
89. Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson 10/12/16, reread 2019
90. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens - 8/22/13

91. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith 8/11/15
92. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant 10/28/16

93. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd 7/18/19
94. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher - 2021
95. Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra 11/8/14

96. The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald
97. True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey
98. What Came Before He Shot Her by Elizabeth George
99. Without Remorse by Tom Clancy
100. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 6/11/14

message 2: by Martha (new)

I came up with 11 to be read this year and one that I'm currently reading. Also, a couple I've already read.

So I'll set my goal for 10 for the year (12 counting the ones I've already read).

message 3: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 343 comments Mod
I like how you must have read so many books you think you have read some but are not sure! :)

message 4: by Martha (new)

That's what happens when you get this old. Did I read that book, or just see the movie or just talk about reading the book? LOL

message 5: by Martha (new)

I changed # 17 from Angela's Ashes (I really don't like McCourt's writing) to The Crystal Shard which I'm currently reading. I read his Dark Elf trilogy several years ago due to the almost non-stop urging of 2 of my sons. It's really not my genre! I loved the books and have always intended to continue with the series. This is the year! I hope to read the Icewind Dale trilogy which is the next 3 in a very long series about Drizzt (the dark elf). I see where I can plug the next 2 in the list. I'm sure there are at least 2 more that I don't plan to read.

message 6: by Nicolle (new)

I haven't heard of that book, but looks good. How old are your sons?

message 7: by Martha (new)

They're all in their 30s now. This book is one my youngest son read all through high school. His copy was well-worn. It was the first book written, but 4th in the series about the dark elf. I never dreamed I'd enjoy fantasy adventure, but Salvatore is such a great writer. My middle son just reread the trilogy he loaned me years ago. He's not sure he has this book so I hope to finish today or tomorrow and take it to him when we go down there for our grandson's birthday party which is this Saturday. He'll be 5.

Our son's are 38 (this son lives with us and is intellectually disabled), 36 & 33. We have 5 grandchildren, ages 2-10. Lots of reading and game playing! LOL

message 8: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Martha wrote: "They're all in their 30s now. This book is one my youngest son read all through high school. His copy was well-worn. It was the first book written, but 4th in the series about the dark elf. I never..."

Crikey nice big family to keep you busy. My 3 are 9 4 and 3.

message 9: by Martha (new)

Bev, you are busy! :-) We love it and plan most of our camping trips with or near family. Going to an amusement park in June with some of them. I'll be exhausted, but it will be worth it. :-)

message 10: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Martha wrote: "Bev, you are busy! :-) We love it and plan most of our camping trips with or near family. Going to an amusement park in June with some of them. I'll be exhausted, but it will be worth it. :-)"

My youngest are off school at the minute with chickenpox too.

message 11: by Martha (new)

Oh, fun! I had 2 at home with it at the same time. I guess that was good though ... got it all over at once. The oldest only got one spot. I've always wondered if he actually had the chicken pox, but he never got it again. Hope your youngest aren't itching too badly.

message 12: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments My middle has it but we thought she had had it already although a mild batch. Seems she has it again but mild. My youngest has a bad cold but we expect spots to follow........

message 13: by Martha (new)

Finished North and South. Loved it ... 5 stars. That brings me to 20 completed (not all this year) from the list.

message 14: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Martha wrote: "Finished North and South. Loved it ... 5 stars. That brings me to 20 completed (not all this year) from the list."

Good job.

message 15: by Martha (new)

Thanks, Bev. I need to add the next in the trilogy to my phone. I'm listening to these.

message 16: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Martha wrote: "Thanks, Bev. I need to add the next in the trilogy to my phone. I'm listening to these."
Wow hadnt thought of that... hmmmmmmm ideas ideas!

message 17: by Martha (last edited Mar 19, 2013 08:39PM) (new)

Finished The Crystal Shard just now. Loved it. Already have the next in the series on my night stand. :-)

21/100 completed

message 18: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Martha wrote: "Finished The Crystal Shard just now. Loved it. Already have the next in the series on my night stand. :-)

21/100 completed"

I like to think I am widely read when it comes to fantasy stuff but must admit that I dont think I have done these. Must put it on my to do list..

message 19: by Martha (new)

It's definitely not my genre, but a great story is a great story no matter what the genre.

message 20: by Martha (new)

Changed out Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand for A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. His On the Beach is one of my favorited & hope to read at least one more of his this year. I will leave Rand's The Fountainhead on the list.

message 21: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Martha wrote: "Changed out Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand for A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. His On the Beach is one of my favorited & hope to read at least one more of his this year. I will leave Rand's The Fount..."

Yeah not sure if i will read either of Ayn Rands as I have been trying to avoid them. Shudder.

message 22: by Martha (new)

I've never heard good about Atlas Shrugged, but I might give the other one a try.

message 23: by Martha (new)

Starting The Secret Garden (#50) this week. Been wanting to read this one for a long time. Still working on a Dickens with another to follow as soon as I finish Little Dorrit. Just not enough time for reading! :-)

message 24: by Nicolle (new)

I loved The Secret Garden. It was the first book we ever read in 'Classics for Beginners'.

message 25: by Martha (new)

I have such a hard time reading with groups. I always want to, but get sidetracked with other books. :-) I've done 3 so far this year, now I'm taking a break and just reading what I want to. I was holding off on this one, hoping it would fit in a challenge I'm doing, but decided I really don't want to wait until next week to see if it fits.

I need to see what's going on in Classics for Beginners. Haven't checked in in awhile.

message 26: by Louise (new)

Louise Martha wrote: "I have such a hard time reading with groups. I always want to, but get sidetracked with other books. :-)"

I'm so glad it's not just me!

I was meant to read The Book Thief with another group this month and it's one I've been meaning to read for years. But then a book I reserved ages ago finally came in at the library, and then I was in a mood for children's books and all in all I'm not going to start The Book Thief until tomorrow at the earliest.

In general though I'll only join in for books I'm already interested in reading anyway. I'm lazy like that.

message 27: by Martha (new)

I read The Book Thief last year ... not with a group. I didn't like it as much as I hoped, but many of my friends absolutely love it. I hope you enjoy it, Louise.

I'm loving The Secret Garden! As usual, wishing I hadn't waited so long to read it. :-)

message 28: by Martha (new)

I changed out #90. Put Little Dorrit in place of The Lovely Bones (disliked the movie, so don't want to read the book).

Have been working on LD slowly, but it's starting to get really good.

message 29: by Martha (new)

I'm making another change to my list. While doing the above change I realized there are no Wilkie Collins' books on it (unless I've missed it). So I'm replacing #27 Matilda by Roald Dahl with The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins. Really looking forward to reading this one!

The Haunted Hotel A Mystery of Modern Venice by Wilkie Collins

message 30: by Nicolle (new)

I know what you guys mean, it's so hard to plan what your next few reads will be. I feel guilty often when I am the moderator of a group, but don't join in a group read!

message 31: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new)

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) | 184 comments Mod
I hear that Nicolle, but sometimes you just can't help it!

message 32: by Nicolle (new)

I know. I'd say we must have had around 30 group reads in 'Classics...' and I would say at a push I have taken part in 5.

message 33: by Martha (new)

I think I've only participated in one with Classics for Beginners ... Villette, if I'm remembering correctly. Even if it's a book I want to read I can rarely start when the group does and read much slower due to all the books that I'm reading at once. I don't even know right now how many ... 8 or 9 I think. Anyway, sometimes I will go back and post comments after that rest of the group is long past that book. Most of the time I don't bother.

message 34: by Nicolle (new)

Eight or nine??!?!? Crazy! I always want to start before or after the allotted time. I guess it's the rebel in me. :)

message 35: by Martha (new)

Sometimes I think it's crazy, too, but seem unable to stop. Admittedly, one is for my Bible Study group, one is an audible, 2 are ebooks on my phone, one is on the Kindle (borrowed from Amazon's lending library) and I think the rest are paperbacks that are for challenges or just for fun.

message 36: by Nicolle (new)

Do you find yourself rereading parts as you can't remember what happened in one from another?

message 37: by Martha (last edited Mar 29, 2013 12:10PM) (new)

Not usually. I read different genres so that helps. Right now I'm reading a cozy mystery, a fantasy, a classic, a historical fiction, and a children's book. Loving them all!! LOL I always say it's the ADD or the ability to multi-task. I can stop one and pick up another and know right where I left it. And the non-fiction book for Bible study is pretty interesting ... written as a conversation. I've only gone to one of the study classes so far, but have been reading the book.

message 38: by Martha (new)

Changed #70 to Mary Todd Lincoln: A Biography. I'm reading this one now. It's not that I don't want to read the Churchill bio, but probably won't get to it this year. This one on MTL is one of two that I picked up at her family home in Lexington, Kentucky this past August. I just couldn't make up my mind so bought them both. LOL

message 39: by Nicolle (new)

Always the best plan. No point in picking one when you could have both! :)

message 40: by Martha (new)

:-)

message 41: by Martha (new)

Finished #50 - The Secret Garden. Loved it!! Now back to Little Dorrit and the MTL bio. :-)

message 42: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new)

That is a book that I have had for ever and I haven't read it yet...I have seen the movie and I loved it!! I also have to read Little women!!!

message 43: by Martha (new)

Little Women is another one I read years ago and need to read again. I love the Secret Garden movies, too.

message 44: by Nicolle (new)

I can't believe that Teri-Lynn.

message 45: by Martha (new)

I see another group read coming!! :-)

message 46: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new)

What can't you believe Nicolle??? That I have had a book on my shelf for YEARS and I haven't read it yet??

message 47: by Nicolle (new)

No more like a classic children's book Little Women remains unread, when you seem to have read loads of stuff like that.

message 48: by Martha (new)

One of the things I particularly liked was the interactions of the sisters. I had a brother 5 years older, but no sisters and I really enjoyed the 4 of them.

message 49: by Martha (new)

I replaced #54 - A Million Little Pieces with Juliet.

message 50: by Martha (last edited Apr 18, 2013 11:02AM) (new)

Finished #54 Juliet. 4 stars. I wasn't sure when I started it how I was going to feel about it, but ended up loving it. Good mystery/romance with plenty of twists & turns.

Next up will be to get back to the Mary Todd Lincoln bio and to read A Town Like Alice. And Persuasion!

« previous 1 3 4