Sidney Memorial Public Library discussion

General Discussion > Children's & YA Authors

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Rogers Kroll | 10 comments Angie Sage, Shannon Hale, L.A. Meyer, Paul Stewart, Brian Jacques, M.E. Kerr ...

message 2: by Ben (last edited Mar 12, 2013 06:03PM) (new)

Ben Lainhart (bclainhart) Alyssa wrote: "Roald Dahl is probably my all-time favorite children's author. I re-read James and the Giant Peach recently and it was ok, but remember absolutely loving Matilda as a child, so I plan to re-visit t..."

I re-read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a few years ago when I came across it at a book sale. I think I may have enjoyed it more that second time around when I was older than as a kid.

I have to admit that's the only book by him that I've read; however, when I was in college I somehow got turned on to his short stories. They aren't for children. Many are darker and have the sort of ending that brings startling revelations in the final few paragraphs. My favorite is probably "Dip in the Pool". I was hoping to find it online somewhere but when googling I came across this adaptation of the story from season 3 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I'm not sure if it holds up to the short story, but thought I'd share it anyway.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Lainhart (bclainhart) Dawn wrote: "Angie Sage, Shannon Hale, L.A. Meyer, Paul Stewart, Brian Jacques, M.E. Kerr ..."

Read a lot of Brian Jacques when I was younger.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Lainhart (bclainhart) I loved The Littles series of books by John Peterson. He came to talk at my school when I was in 1st grade but was only signing the newest book in the series and I didn't have it with me. I was so mad about that. Actually, I still am...

Shel Silverstein was awesome. I used to love reading his poems.

In 3rd and 4th grade I read Johnny Tremain, Maniac Magee, Hatchet, and Where the Red Fern Grows. I still remember how much I loved each of those books.

By the time I got to 5th grade I had read the Dragonlance novels. I then spent many years with a geeky fantasy or sci-fi book.

I can't leave this discussion without mentioning some really good YA novels that I have recently read. Paolo Bacigalupi's Ship Breaker and The Drowned Cities are some of the best sci-fi from last year and G. Willow Wilson's Alif the Unseen was a really interesting debut novel.

I'm going to start Cory Doctorow's YA novel Homeland tonight or tomorrow. I'll be sure to report back.

message 5: by Jen (last edited Mar 13, 2013 10:14AM) (new)

Jen Mech | 12 comments Since I am the go-to "expert" on juvenile and young adult books here at SMPL, I have too many favorites to name. Katherine Hannigan, Polly Horvath, Sarah Weeks, Rebecca Stead. As a kid, however, my favorite was probably Gertrude Chandler Warner of the Boxcar Children books, Judy Blume's Fudge series, and Louis Sachar's Wayside School books. I was a sucker for humor, then, and I still am, now.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen Mech | 12 comments Dawn wrote: "Angie Sage, Shannon Hale, L.A. Meyer, Paul Stewart, Brian Jacques, M.E. Kerr ..."

I love you, Dawn, but I cannot stand M.E. Kerr, I have not been able to finish ONE of his books. However, I am super-biased since I have only read a handful of science fiction that I actually enjoyed. I am probably going to be un-friended when you find out what I thought about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Rogers Kroll | 10 comments Jen ~

M.E. Kerr is a.k.a. Marijane Meaker. As M.E. Kerr she wrote one of my favorite books when I was growing up, called Love is a Missing Person. I still have my original copy ... from the 1970s. Ooopps ... now you all know how very old I am!

message 8: by Jen (last edited Mar 13, 2013 10:52AM) (new)

Jen Mech | 12 comments I owe a giant apology to Dawn, M.E.Kerr, and anyone else who read my post and realized what a bonehead I am. Though Dawn said M.E.Kerr, I thought it said M.T.Anderson. Two totally different authors, and neither have anything in common. Some "expert" I am. :-)Though I have not read any on M.E.Kerr's books, I have tried to read M.T. Anderson's Feed, Game of Sunken Places, and Octavian Nothing, and have failed miserably.

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Rogers Kroll | 10 comments I forgive you. Anyway, I did not read books by Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's guide ...) until I was in my late teens. I am not a big science fiction fan, either ... but I did like many of the books written by Adams.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen Mech | 12 comments "The human brain starts working the moment you are born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public."

— George Jessel

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Mech | 12 comments I read and re-read Caroline B. Cooney's The Face on the Milk Carton and Whatever Happened to Janie? though I stopped reading after the first two. I also re-read S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders and That Was Then, This is Now every year.

message 12: by Ben (new)

Ben Lainhart (bclainhart) Jen wrote: ""The human brain starts working the moment you are born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public."

— George Jessel"

Ha! That's great.

message 13: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (cneubert) | 2 comments My girls are really into the Little House series right now. My all time fav author as a kid was probably Madeline L'Engel, but also enjoyed L.M. Montgomery, the Cherry Ames series somebody game me, and of course the obligatory Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary.