THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Audio Books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Coxen (FLCoxen) | 161 comments Wondering if anyone out there in author land has any experience with converting their books to an audio book?

message 2: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Coxen (FLCoxen) | 161 comments Hi I'm an unknown author that lurks about on different threads so I know that talking about audio books is not well received by book authors - same on you for bringing it up. It is either that or it is a new concept that no one has investigated yet. I suggest you give it up because its been almost eleven hours since you posted and not one remark.

message 3: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) Well, I haven't converted a whole book to audio but I did record the first chapter of one and posted it to a website. It took a lot longer than I thought it would and was kind of difficult. I also don't like the sound of my own voice. I think I'd have to hire someone to do it for me, at who-knows-what-cost, so I haven't gone any further down that path, personally.

message 4: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (ASongofAfrica) | 67 comments Check out ACX.

message 5: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Coxen (FLCoxen) | 161 comments I did check out ACX and found it interesting but I wanted to know if other authors have used them and what they thought of the process. They are not explicate on the cost, i guess because there are so many variances, however if a producer thinks that an audio of your book would sell well, then they may offer to do the work for free for 50% of the royalties. There is a lot more to it but I was just wondering if anyone has gone through the process.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily Skinner | 2 comments I guess this is understood, but a lot of ereader devices can read to you, like an audiobook. My novel is on kindle, nook, kobo and ibooks and my older kindle is capable of reading that novel to me in a standard voice.
I'm sure you are looking for separate audiobook opportunities, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

message 7: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Coxen (FLCoxen) | 161 comments Thank you for your input - I haven't considered that outlet. I suppose the difference would be the emotion that the human voice can added and in some cases accents. I'll have to try having my kindle read to me to see how it sounds.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I'm not fond of the text to speech on any of the ereaders. On the kindle, helps if I adjust the reading speed—but absolutely apples to oranges versus a professionally narrated audio book.

message 9: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Coxen (FLCoxen) | 161 comments That figures - digital sounds like the woman trapped inside my GPS - not sure how they squeezed her in there but she is as dumb as a hammer at times.

message 10: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments Frederick wrote: "Wondering if anyone out there in author land has any experience with converting their books to an audio book?"

Smashwords had a site for audio books, and I was planning on using it. But the site no longer exists. I've been wanting to translate my books to audio because I have friends who can no longer read but love books. So, yes, I'm interested in finding out more about this.

message 11: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Coxen (FLCoxen) | 161 comments There is a lot of information on the ACX site - of course it is about their program but it does help you understand the process. I'm checking further into it.

message 12: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments Thanks. Will look into it.