Poison Study (Study, #1) Poison Study discussion

Can You Read Poison Study as a Stand alone?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Can You Read Poison Study as a Stand alone?

Tabby Yes, its the first in the series and needs no introduction. One warning though, once you've read you will want to rest the rest of the trilogy!

Kimberly Helen wrote: "Can You Read Poison Study as a Stand alone?"

You can, because their isn't a huge cliffhanger at the end. I don't want to spoil it for you, but the ending is a good opening for the next book. So, if you do read it as a stand alone you will be missing the rest of her story and you will know you are missing the rest of her story. So, you can read it as a stand alone, but I think at the end of it you will want to see what the rest of her story is

And the rest of the series is great, not as good as poison study, but still great. So, I don't really know why you would want to read it as a stand alone. Also Maria V. Snyder said that she is writing or will soon be writing another series off of Valek and Yelana. SO, you wouldn't be able to read that series if you didn't read the rest of this series, because you will be so confused.

Taygus Definitely. It's the best book in the trilogy, and you won't need to read the other 2 but you'll probably want to.

Dhfan4life You can try to. But honestly I think as it is a trilogy, you mind as well read the other 2 as well. The shorter stories are optional though in my opinion. Relatively good but don't really progress anything along. And after the main character discovers so much about herself in book 1, would only get half of her journey by just reading that alone in my opinion.

LindaJ^ Poison Study can be read on its own. The series is good but Poison Study is definitely the best of the three. Inside Out is the first of a duo by Maria Snyder that can also be read as a standalone, and is much better that the second book Outside In.

Carol Yes but you should read the following books, you will probably want to anyway. I loved them.

Sorrel Yeah you can, it was the best out of all of them but you will want to read the rest. Read them with gaps in between though because I got a little tired of Yelena.

Renée Tired of Yelena?! Why? I usually get really annoyed by stupid damsels in distress and/or girls who only think about their love life... Yelena doesn't fit either one of those criteria. She my favorite heroine, I see a lot of myself in her.

maybe I'd annoy you too ;)

message 10: by Star (new) - rated it 5 stars

Star Fouse Yes, particularly because I read it alone. I didnt realize that it wasnt a stand alone book. lol I thought it was very good!

message 11: by Sorrel (last edited Mar 16, 2013 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sorrel Renée wrote: "Tired of Yelena?! Why? I usually get really annoyed by stupid damsels in distress and/or girls who only think about their love life... Yelena doesn't fit either one of those criteria. She my favori..."
I think it's more of her (SPOILER)

Relationship with Valek that I got tired of. In the first book he was so cool and ruthless and then he turns all soppy and all the my love-ing gets a bit boring. I do love Yelena's attitude that she doesn't need any help to get out of distress. And I love the fact that she's not perfect- I hate it when heroines are perfect, it's so unbelievable. I think her I don't need any help attitude got her into difficult positions from time to time though :-)

message 12: by C.S. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.S. Bills No problem reading this one as a stand alone. I loved how smart Yelena is in this book. She's a real survivor.

message 13: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Lloyd YES!!! But you'll be hooked.

Lorene Evans I didn't care for magic study when I read, but maybe it's time I should try it again. there was too little valek in magic study for my taste

message 15: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Faragher It took me a while after poison study to realise that there were any more books so you can definitely read it as a stand alone. But then I went a read book 3 next because i didn't realise there was a book 2. I'm more careful about getting my books in series order now but it was still easy to understand and a good read.

Samantha The Escapist You can and probably should read it as a stand alone. As everyone is saying, you'll WANT to read the other two, but while Poison Study was fighting for a spot on my top 5 favourite book list, the following two were actually so bad I almost abandoned them.

Snyder is awesome...at first novels, but her patterns and habits are really easy to spot and her sequels all seem to have the same problems.

Amanda I like Yelena and Valek's chemistry in the 1st book. the second and third lose some steam though.