Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Anime > Favorite Anime

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are your favorite anime shows? How long have you been into them? Why are they your favorites?

message 2: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 114 comments My favorites:
Lucky Star - Konata is my favorite anime/manga character because I can relate to her love for manga and anime! I find this series really funny!
Azumanga Daioh - I love love LOVE Azumanga Daioh! Really funny and enjoyable.
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya - Story was interesting and once again the comedy was good.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucky Star is one of my favorites too. Konata is awesome and I love her sense of humor. She's always teasing Kagami. I also love the opening to Lucky Star. Best opening ever.

I see that you are a comedy fan. :)

message 4: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 114 comments Yes! I don't like to much sadness!
Yeah and I agree the opening to Lucky Star is awesome.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

There are a lot of series that aren't focused on comedy that don't have sadness. Granted, these are your favorites. This doesn't show everything you've watched, or shows you've enjoyed but aren't quite your favorites.

message 6: by Mike (last edited Mar 13, 2013 06:47AM) (new)

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Kino's Journey - a beautiful, haunting series that follows a lone traveller exploring the world.

Last Exile - fantstic art style, great use a of steampunk setting and a strong, character driven story.

Fruits Basket - because it's cute and fun. :) It also manages the best ending of any series I've seen adapted from a manga that was still going.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) I still have a lot of anime on my to-watch list, but currently my favorites are:

Angel Beats! - anime about a high school in the afterlife that dead teenagers go to to finish out their adolescent years if they died unhappy. I definitely recommend checking it out!

Kuroshitsuji (or Black Butler) - this was the very first anime I ever got into. It's so epic and awesome! I love the unique take on the characters (especially Alois!:D)

Elfen Lied - Need I explain? Normally I don't go for this kind of anime, but it was so...thought-provoking, in some ways. Especially in the part about human experimentation.

Sgt. Frog - Hilarious anime about an alien space frog that invades Earth with his platoon, intent on enslaving the human race...if only he wasn't so distracted by vacuum cleaners, Gundam models, and yummy cow flesh:) Think of it as the Japanese equivalent of Invader ZIM--except wayyyy better!

Ouran High School Host Club - Most epic anime series evaaarrr!! I loooooove the characters--especially Tamaki! His relationship with Haruhi is so funny sometimes:D

Living for the Day After Tomorrow - I HIGHLY recommend this series--it's about a young girl and woman who swap ages due to a granted wish. It's incredibly sweet, and I wish more people would watch it:(

Anime features I also like are:

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

+ anything by Miyazaki, but everone already knows he's the king of anime:)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Been meaning to watch Ghost in the Shell, partly for my Anime/Manga research paper. Ghost in the Shell had a pretty heavy influence on the Matrix apparently.

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) I can definitely see the correlation. Ghost in the Shell is very thought-provoking, I very much enjoyed it. And the music by Kenji Kawaii was also very excellent.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I really want to see it. But I will have to wait until I have the time. I'll probably end up watching the Matrix to compare them as well. (No, I haven't seen the Matrix...)

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) I just saw The Matrix for the first time not too long ago actually. I think my expectations were too high though:(

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

It's an older movie, so I'm expecting it to be cheesy with bad graphics.

message 13: by Jamie (last edited Mar 26, 2013 11:12AM) (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments Sailor Moon- #1 always in everything for me. I just love it.

Black Butler- It is hard finding shows that I can watch with my Husband and we both enjoy it and this is one of those shows. It has something for everyone and it is really well done.

Fullmetal Alchemist- ok. I wrote this one on my list even though I did not like Hated the ending because up until the ending it was awesome! I am going to watch Brotherhood which I have been told is better because it stays a little truer to the Manga(which is also awesome).

Ouran High School Host Club- Really cute series. Funny and easy to watch. I just love it.

Witch Hunter Robin- Maybe a little obscure. But I loved this anime. It would be great if they could ever make another season of it, but I know that is a pipe dream.

I love a lot of anime movies like Ponyo, Howls Moving Castle, Spirited away...anything by Hayao Miyazaki.

message 14: by Keely (new)

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 17 comments Oh gosh... there are so many to choose from...

I am going to say
Fullmetal Alchemist (both but I think Brotherhood wins just by a bit)
Fruits Basket
Hetalia
Naruto Shippuden
Black Butler

I could name more but there are too many.

message 15: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments @Jamie FMA Brotherhood, has a much happier ending trust me.

message 16: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments My favourite Anime( this is tough)

Code Geass: Lelouch the Rebellion
Pokémon
Yu Yu Hakusho
Flame of Recca
Ouran High School Host Club
Cardcaptor Sakura
Alice Academy
Detective School Q
Death Note
Naruto
Bleach
Fruits Basket.....

And I can still think of more, this list won't end

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) I know your pain, Harshini. In fact, I know it so well, I'm going to go drown my pain in some Clannad and perhaps some Fullmetal...

message 18: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments I missed Live for The Day after Tomorrow when it was on TV :(

message 19: by Arthur (new)

Arthur  Kirkland  | 1 comments Hetalia
Ouran
Black butler
Kingdom hearts ((if that counts))

message 20: by Aina (new)

Aina (computeridol) I hope this doesn't come off rudeーbut most of the titles I saw in the beginning were more so shoujo? I'm a girl but been all about shounen since I was about six.

Btw, hi! I'm Aibon. Picky and love dark anime/manga with emotional depth. this isn't the right place but may as well say hi!

message 21: by Iman (new)

Iman Susay | 1 comments My favourite is Ouran Highschool Host club and Beelzebub because it's funny. I've been watching them for few months and I really enjoyed.

message 22: by Ntomoo (new)

Ntomoo Xiong | 3 comments my favorites are...
Clannad
Anohana
Attack on Titan
Steins; gate
The sunday without god
fate/zero

message 23: by Anna (last edited Apr 05, 2014 02:45PM) (new)

Anna (AnnaTheHaibane) (in no particular order)
Fullmetal Alchemist (duh)
Amazing, amazing, amazing. I love it, amazing. Also, Roy Mustang. That is all.

Ame and Yuki Wolf Children
A great anime movie about family and life and love, ect... my favorite anime movie. Highly suggested! (Trigger warning: There is a scene about 10-20 min in that involves brief wolf... errr... intercourse...)

Ouran Highschool Host Club
Omigosh, I have a soft spot for reverse harems and anime with pretty boys (just because they're so fun) so this was right up my alley. Just watch it.

Serial Experiments Lain
Cool, confusing, cyberpunk mind twister. One of those shows that you have to really watch twice.

Haibane Renmei
My favorite anime. Ever. Beautiful, peaceful, slow, but interesting and takes a turn for the dark and confusing after episode 6. Kind of similar to Angel Beats! but I thought that it was much better. Recommended for people who like Kino's Journey.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

One Piece:Really love friendships between characters and I really love pirates! Naruto/ Naruto Shippuden: First to read watch the anime on TV. ......just finished last chapter online pretty ending ^^ Death Note; big fan L! Full metal Alchemist & FMA:Brotherhood: Really fan Edward and his bond with brother and definitely Roy Mustang they funny when arguments hahaha Black Butler: Really love series Black Cat: Just pure good anime ^^

message 25: by Brandon (last edited Nov 14, 2014 05:52AM) (new)

Brandon Varnell | 32 comments #5 Gurren Lagann
Do I even need to mention why this is a favorite? Gurren Lagann is quite possibly the most epic anime of all times. With epic lines, epic plot, epic mecha fights and Yoko Littner, what's not to like?

#4 The World God Only Knows
I like this because it takes the Harem cliche and turns it on its head. It's one of the few anime in the entire world where not only is the guy doing the chasing, but doing it for reasons that are, quite frankly, ridiculously hilarious.

#3 Highschool DxD
As a major fan of ecchi and fanserivce, I'll admit to enjoying this story. It's one of my Guilty Pleasures. The storyline is also pretty decent for an anime where boobs make up at least 60% of the plot.

#2 To Love Ru
I couldn't tell you why I like this. It is, in all regards, kind of a stupid anime. It falls into almost every harem cliche known to man and it's only saving grace are the gorgeous women and massive amounts of ecchi. Then again, that's probably why I like it. It's just so dumb it's funny.

#1 Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
I make the distinction because while I enjoyed the original FMA, I don't think it could hold a candle to Brotherhood. I consider this to be The Best anime of all time. The artwork was astounding, the animation incredible and the fights awesome. I loved the moral dilemma that Edward and his brother go through. Their journey is incredible.

message 26: by Ash (new)

Ash | 74 comments No particular order (except maybe Bleach)

1. Bleach
It was the first anime I really got so into, that it lead me to read the manga. Thus, Bleach started my love affair with not only anime, but manga as well. So many fleshed-out, colorful characters, each w/their own backstory, abilities, fighting style & personalities. The fact that every Shinigami's zanpaktou(sp) has its own distinct personality is beyond awesome. Extremely detailed writing, female characters as powerful & intelligent as the males, & I have always found the art beautiful, especially the color illustrations. It must be 4-5 years (if not more) I have been a faithful Bleach fan. I can not say enough good things about it.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Never have I cried so hard with tears of joy at the end of a series, & nothing has moved me like that since then. Such a beautiful story about humanity & life's difficulties, as well as triumphs. Amazing characters with detailed personalities, whether good or bad. The different forms of alchemy used by individual alchemists is fascinating, and the introduction and explanation of alkahestry(sp) is great as well. The warning not to step into God's territory, how so many still try, and the consequences of doing so. What more can I say? Who doesn't love a story of how humans always prevail & bounce back, stick together & help one another, & grow from each experience? Beautiful story.

3. Ghost in the Shell 1st & 2nd: Although I probably enjoyed 2nd GIG SAC a bit more than the first anime series, they are both amazing shows. Watching each episode always made me feel like I was there, in the dystopian society the anime takes place in. The way it explains how completely prosthetic bodies may actually be possible someday, & the pros & cons of possessing one, is nothing short of genius. Major Kusanji is one of my favorite anime characters ever, & her backstory pertaining to how she ended up with her body and her struggles with all of it is a great story. I really felt & understood her different emotions about her life, & how she wonders if she isn't already dead, just a prosthetic body w/no "ghost" or soul inside. The fact that she's a complete bad-ass doesn't hurt either.

4. Deadman Wonderland
Another dystopian drama, about a young girl who was forced to endure horrific experiments as a child by researchers trying to "improve" humanity. The unique abilities among the deadmen, or those w/branch of sin, or original sin, is extremely creative & drew me right inl especially the figh scenes between deadmen. Even the undertakers, or anti-deadmen had interesting backstories & the fight scenes w/them & deadmen were great as well. Mainly a pretty sad story, though some of the characters have happy endings, I still want at least one more chapter for closure.

5. Elfen Lied
Yet one more series about a young girl treated horribly by people in the name of "science". Lucy, the main character, is a diclonius(sp) a race superior to humans. It is a completely female race, & only Lucy, the queen, is capable of reproduction. However, if any diclonius touches a human male, he will automatically produce diclonius children should he impregnate someone. Of course members of this superior race have special abilities, the main one being their vectors, or basically extra, invisible arms that can reach varying lengths depending on the individual, & are capable of brutally destroying anything & anyone they come in contact with. It's easy to feel & understand Lucy's anger considering her treatment by others, & tghe fact she has been shunned & betrayed by society(humans) her entire life. Much like Deadman Wonderland a few of the characters have happy endings, but it is a very, very tragic, heartbreaking anime series.

As I'm sure many other anime fans feel, I could go on & on with my list, but I will do everyone, including myself a favor and stop here. :)

message 27: by The BLUE (new)

The BLUE deadman wonderland and too love are really cool anime.
but how is Ghost in the Shell 1st & 2nd?

Ertica*~She'sABookBirdy~*Castley (ertica) | 5 comments The best anime i've seen so far is...

World is still beautiful
There's nothing to be said to this beautiful anime. I cried in the end!! It touches my heart and damn this king who was just 11 years old i think, act like a grown up man!! Ooooh me likey. Lol. If you wanna know why i cried in the end. Please do watch it:)

Beyond the Boundary
Hmm.. I like the graphic, the voice actor suited their character. And its really really funny! Well some part of it. It's an action, some romance, drama and comedy anime. I like mirai kuriyama and akihito in this anime. And you guys have to see what's Akihito mother atitude like. I mean like seriously.

Amnesia
Its okay i guess. Like the graphic. Its about one girl named Heroine and she stuck in a dimension on which the date of her calender or in her mobile phone stuck with the same date. And she didn't remember that she's dating with 4 different people!! I mean not just people but 4 cool guys!! Heh....okay*snap out of it*..but the most confuse part for her is everytime tomorrow comes she wakes up on the same date as before but this time its a different boy again. It keeps going on like that but...heh..you want to know what happen right? Go watch it.

My little monster
My second most favourite anime of time!!! Okay just so you know Haru is mine!!! Haru yoshida is mine!!! Lol.