What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical Fiction/Novel of Nazi Germany invades US. Set in WW2 era. [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Cox | 2 comments I picked this book up a few years ago and it got lost. It was a thick paperback about where the Nazi's invaded the US and it was set in New York where there was people showing resistance. I hope someone can help me find the name to this.

Thanks!

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Other than the alternate world (basing this on the whole Germany invading the U.S.) was there any other "fantasical" things going on?

And how long ago was "a few years?" For me that could be up to 10--but my grandkids would say 1 or 2. It's all in how old you are and personal viewing.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (med0ra) | 436 comments Maybe Never on These Shores?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Here's a list of alternate history books:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/30...

message 5: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 223 comments Fred Allhoff comes first to mind: Lightning in the night.

message 6: by Bryan457 (new)

Bryan457 | 284 comments maybe 1945

message 7: by M. Lee (new)

M. Lee (leevee) | 78 comments There's also this list: http://www.uchronia.net/bib.cgi/diver...

It's alternate history books listed by point of divergence.

message 8: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) i've got some alt hist in my listopia for dystopias

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 9: by NerdyJen (new)

NerdyJen | 10 comments Harry Turtledovehas a lot of Nazi themed alternate histories, could it be one of his?

message 10: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited May 28, 2014 01:00PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Most of Harry Turtledove's "Nazis" aren't German Nazis, they're Confederate (C.S.A.) Nazis.

In Worldwar / Colonization series, the Nazis never invade the USA.

As mentioned above, Southern Victory series doesn't contain German Nazis (except in advisory roles) in the US. NY isn't conquered either. Although there is a lot of war-time stuff going on, and I believe there are some portions set in NY/East coast (but I don't recall any sabotage or anything).

In the The War That Came Early series, no Nazis in America.

_Curious Notions_ is a WWI-German (not Nazi) invasion of the US, but story is set in San Francisco.

_In the Presence of Mine Enemies_ is the only Turtledove book that seems to have Nazis in the US, however it's quite some time after being conquered.

message 11: by Mir (new)

Mir | 712 comments The Man in the High Castle has Germany winning WWII, but it is set in San Francisco rather than NY, I think.

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2420 comments Tours of the Black Clock -- it's pretty weird but it does have Nazis in the U.S. and in the Americas.

This is a pretty popular theme, can you remember any more details? For example, what was the "feel" of the book: military thriller, alternate history, political commentary? Do you recall anything about any of the characters -- was it a single main character or a "band of brothers" type of thing? Was the focus on their fighting, or on living in this new Nazi world?

message 13: by Ingo (last edited May 29, 2014 07:57AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 616 comments And instantly Fatherland came to my mind.
Not set in WW2, but rather well after, Hitler is dead, but died of old age sometime before the time in the book starts. Well worth reading, a Journalist tries to find out, what really happened in Germany during WW2. Filmed (but not too good) with Rutger Hauer, who as a blond blu-eyed dutch played a Nazi in other films - but also a Jew on the run.
Just read up on it (Wikipedia) as it has been over 20 years I read this last, and it is not set in USA, but rather in Germany.
Still, worth reading, and Harris has come to fame with that book it was is first fiction.

message 14: by Kelley (new)

Kelley Cook | 1 comments I'm pretty sure that Clash of Eagles is the book you were looking for.

message 15: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Cox | 2 comments Kelley wrote: "I'm pretty sure that Clash of Eagles is the book you were looking for."

That is it! Thanks!