Bangladesh discussion

Need New Fantasy Book Suggestions. Period.

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments Okay guys, I need good suggestions for fantasy books like PJO or HP series. Been reading a lotta forums but I din't like most of those books that they suggested, except, Alex rider, I am number four series and and Kane chronicles. Personally I am biased towards Rick Riordan and JKR.
I don't think I might like the Artemis fowl, mortal instruments or pendragon books but it might just be my fanaticism about PJO and HP. If anyone's step up to enlighten me, thanks in advance! :D

message 2: by Sajuti (new)

Sajuti | 1 comments U can try the Hunger Games Series

message 3: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments I read the flap and he description on amazon, seems girlish :s
is that really that good as they say?

message 5: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments Thanks dude, and among them I will start with mistborn, I read infinity blade by Sanderson, it was epic! Thanks for the long list

message 6: by Taha (new)

Taha Shabbir | 6 comments The following can more or less be categorized as Urban Fantasy:
- The Wardstone Chronicles
- The Dresden Files
- Chronicles of Nick (no need to read the Dark-Hunter series)
- Hellequin Chronicles
- Alex Verus
- Zero Sight

For a dose of Epic fantasy:
- Blood Song (the best debut since Name of the Wind)
- The Way of Kings
- The Warded Man

I would suggest starting with the Zero Sight series.

message 7: by Maraz (new)

Maraz Hossain | 6 comments can anyone recommend good romance books?

message 8: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments Fifty shades... :P

message 9: by Taha (new)

Taha Shabbir | 6 comments if you want fantasy romance, go with the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

message 10: by Maraz (new)

Maraz Hossain | 6 comments i started reading fifty shades of grey, read a few pages and stopped when i got the hint what was it turning it into :p i dont get why tye book is that famous.
i am mmore into classical romance, so any ssuggestion froknthat genre will be help. thanks

message 11: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments I love tin goyenda, wish there was a series like Sherlock based upon it, and I think I'll make a manga with detective stories soon :D

message 12: by Rizwan (last edited May 19, 2013 06:12AM) (new)

Rizwan I've recently been gone through Fantasy-phase after feverishly finishing all the super-excellent works of Rick Riordan....So I guess I can suggest some very good & different types of fantasy works that I've read or want to read in the future.

Teenage Fantasy series (likes of PJ & HP)>>
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
The Chronicles of Narnia (duh!)
The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Inheritance Cycle Boxed Set by Christopher Paolini
The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (more horror-fantasy)
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson
Maximum Ride Five-Book Set by James Patterson
Tales of Alvin Maker: Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card
Gregor the Overlander Box Set by Suzanne Collins
The Inkheart Trilogy: Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke
Abarat by Clive Barker
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (waay better than Twilight)

High Fantasy series (likes of LOTR, set in their own worlds)
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin (obviously)
The Dark Tower Series Collection: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower by Stephen King
Discworld: The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett (very satirical & funny, totally different than all the other fantasy series)
Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set by Brandon Sanderson
The Stormlight Archive: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks
The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1 by Terry Brooks
The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set by Robert Jordan
The Sword of Truth, Boxed Set I: Wizard's First Rule, Blood of the Fold, Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind
The Malazan Book of the Fallen: Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist
Codex Alera: Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher
Weaveworld by Clive Barker
Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

Urban Fantasy series (set in our world, adult-themed)
The Dresden Files: Storm Front by Jim Butcher
M.H.I: Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
Grimnoir Chronicles: Hard Magic by Larry Correia
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Alex Verus: Fated by Benedict Jacka
The Complete Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice
Imajica by Clive Barker

Some Teenage Sci-fi/Action/Adventure series that are NOT fantasy but great reads anyway:
Alex Rider Boxed Set by Anthony Horowitz
Young Samurai: The Way of the Warrior by Chris Bradford
The 39 Clues Complete Collection
Sally Lockhart: The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman
The Mediator: Shadowland by Meg Cabot
TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow
The Ender Wiggin Saga by Orson Scott Card
The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins
Divergent by Veronica Roth
The Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner
The 13th Reality: The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner

Hope I was helpful :)

message 13: by Shofi (new)

Shofi Choudhury | 16 comments Looking forward to read some of them :) Thnx for making the suggestions and nice to see you in this Bangladesh group. @Rizwan

message 14: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments And that settles my post-as level reading list, you Rizan, are an awesome person! :D

message 15: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan Shahed wrote: "And that settles my post-as level reading list, you Rizan, are an awesome person! :D"

Thanks Shahed, happy to help. I'm more of an Action-Adventure fan, but Fantasy genre is just below that on my favorite list....Believe me, I thought I knew my A/A authors & books, but in another group I found out there are oh so, SO many more awesome books I had absolutely no idea about! Goodreads is just a GREAT place for everything books that I've searched my whole life.... :D

And its Rizwan by the way.

message 16: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments Lol typos! ('^_^)

message 17: by Faizah (new)

Faizah (namjkm) I didn't read them yet, but I heard that they are really good. Not even really sure if they are all fantasies..sorry! Try the following books:
-> Divergent series by Veronica Roth
-> Hex Hall trilogy by Rachel Hawkins
-> Lord of The Rings Series by J. R. R. Tolkien
-> Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
-> Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
-> Significance series by Shelly Crane
-> Blood of Eden series by Julie Kagawa
-> Matched by Ally Condie

message 18: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan Ibnat wrote: "I didn't read them yet, but I heard that they are really good. Not even really sure if they are all fantasies..sorry! Try the following books:
-> Divergent series by Veronica Roth
-> Hex Hall trilo..."

Great suggestions, Thanks Ibnat! I already have Divergent series (ebook) and LOTR books, will browse the others to see if those are my types. ALWAYS on the lookout for good fantasy/action/adventure/thriller/whatevers!

message 19: by Faizah (new)

Faizah (namjkm) :) You're Welcome!

message 20: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments I barely find any Percy Jackson fans in chittagong, those books are legen-waitforit-dary! I can't wait for getting my hand on the house of hades... Beshi joss boi! :D

message 21: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments And Rizwan and Ibnat, thanks for links... Will check time out ASAP! :D

message 22: by Quazi (new)

Quazi Farhan (quazifarhan) | 5 comments As for something like Harry Potter like school/teenage based fantasy you can check out Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson, although Alcatraz focuses a bit of more to satire side than story/character side.

For a serious story set in a HP like setup you can try recently released Rithmatis by Brandon Sanderson.

Btw, what is PJO?

message 23: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments :O Percy Jacksons and the Olympians! *pushes quazi into a bookstore and shows him a masterpiece set on on ivory pillar*
By Rick Riordan, it is awesome!

And thanks for the Sanderson titles, Rizwan Bro gave me some, I guess oikhane thakbe. :D

message 24: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan Shahed wrote: ":O Percy Jacksons and the Olympians! *pushes quazi into a bookstore and shows him a masterpiece set on on ivory pillar*
By Rick Riordan, it is awesome!

And thanks for the Sanderson titles, Rizwa..."

LOL yes Quazi, if you are into HP then you really DO need to read Rick Riordan, he's like the American version of JK Rowling, only much more faster paced and action-packed! Comparitively Rowling is still a better writer when it comes to characterization & world-detailing, but Riordan's stories are just breathless-suspenseful-thrillriding-jawdropping entertainment, without any pause!

Shahed, I did give you Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians & The Rithmatist....if you want the next ones in the series, just give a shout.

message 25: by Quazi (new)

Quazi Farhan (quazifarhan) | 5 comments lol .... ok i'll mark it for later read. currently I have started Malazan series. So I guess it will be some time before I pick something else again. :)

message 26: by Rizia (new)

Rizia Rizwan wrote: "I've recently been gone through Fantasy-phase after feverishly finishing all the super-excellent works of Rick Riordan....So I guess I can suggest some very good & different types of fantasy works..."

OMG So many awesome RECs!
Thanks a lot!

message 27: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan Thank you Rizia for the praise!

I'll add some more very cooool fantasy series I've recently collected....All of them looks wickedly Awesome! So just want to share it with the group:

Urban Fantasy:
The Iron Druid Chronicles Bundle: Hounded, Hexed, Hammered by Kevin Hearne
Twenty Palaces Trilogy: Child of Fire by Harry Connolly
Mercy Thompson Series Collection by Patricia Briggs

Epic-Fantasy:
The Kingkiller Chronicles: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Robin Hobb Collection: Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb
The Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb
Tawny Man Trilogy: Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb
The Rain Wilds Chronicles: The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb
The Belgariad: Volume One by David Eddings
The Malloreon, Vol. 1: Guardians of the West, King of the Murgos, Demon Lord of Karanda by David Eddings

Teenage Fantasy:
Mirrorworld: Reckless by Cornelia Funke
Daughter of Smoke & Bone Trilogy: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Flaming Dove by Daniel Arenson

And here's a VERY helpful list of Best Fantasy novels from the Fantasy Afficiendo Group:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 28: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments Duuuuuuuuudes! Have anyone read the House of Hades preview? I'm feeling desperate for the full thing after reading it... XD

message 29: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan Why do I read the damn preview when I KNOW I can't read the whole thing till October??

message 30: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments Indeed, life and its various tragedies :/

message 31: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments Guys? Dresden files, is it addictive? Flap description seems interesting.

message 32: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan Whenever I'm in a Fantasy forum, or any type of genre forum there is, I ALWAYS get the impression that The Dresden Files is like the coolest, most famous Urban Fantasy series there can be.....I haven't read one yet, but have the first one in my tab and the next 6 in paperback. All the book summaries sound awesome, so I say: Jump in!! (from the first one off course)

message 33: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments Oooh! Cool! I think it's gonna be a nice thing to read after Artemis fowl, having a common fantasy/mystery backbone xD

message 34: by Taha (new)

Taha Shabbir | 6 comments The Dresden Files start off a bit slow, but once you get into the thick of it you wont want to let go. You get a proper idea of the scope of Dresdenverse starting book four.

message 35: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan Hey Shahed, if you're interested I've found (and downloaded) some new, potentially great Epic Fantasy series...Yes, lately I'm on a fantasy roll :P

The Gentleman Bastard 1: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set by Garth Nix
The Keys to the Kingdom 1: Mister Monday by Garth Nix
The Seventh Tower by Garth Nix
Temeraire: In the Service of the King by Naomi Novik
Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook
Garrett, P.I. 1: Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook
Twenty Palaces 1: Child of Fire by Harry Connolly
Drenai Saga 1: Legend by David Gemmell
Rigante 1: Sword in the Storm by David Gemmell
Stones of Power: A Sipstrassi Omnibus by David Gemmell
The Complete Chronicles of the Jerusalem Man by David Gemmell
The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay
Sarantine Mosaic 1: Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay
Levithan 1: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Howl's Moving Castle 1: Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Night Watch 1: Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

I have the ebooks of ALL these fantasy series...Just give me msg if you're interested in any.

message 36: by Shahed (new)

Shahed (shahedalam) | 49 comments Download calibre, it's an open source software. Comes in handy for managing a virtual library. And good thing is, you get to edit metas and it comes hooked within ePub reader. And did I mention the file converter? Pretty neat if you ask me.

message 37: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan Thanks Man!

message 38: by Salman (new)

Salman Mehedy Titas (smtitas) | 49 comments Look up The Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence. Stunning piece of work.