YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

The After/Life
This topic is about The After/Life
Archived > The After/Life - all profits to charity!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vardan (last edited Apr 20, 2013 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments The After Life is the story of Nad Raven - a young man, whose childhood is shattered by a cataclysmic event that leaves him trapped in an underground vault with a few other survivors of a modern day apocalypse. It is a tale of a small community that tries to move on after all hope seems to have been wiped out by an all out nuclear war. With our planet turned into a grim wasteland, the protagonist discovers that even in an isolated micro society there is love and hate, grief and happiness, valor and treason as well as that overpowering human temptation to find out what is out there - beyond the safe walls of the underground shelter. To find out, Nad embarks on a dangerous journey that holds many dark secrets... a journey that will change his life forever...

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments A review of my novel on the Cosy Catastrophe website: http://www.exitofhumanity.com/2013/03...

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Another 5 star review of The After/Life titled "a must read"

The theme of this book is one that very familiar to me and if you read apocalyptic fiction in any sort of regular fashion it will be immediately recognizable to you as well. Raven is a small boy and is aware that the news has been filled with an ever increasing volume of news stories that are very alarming to his parents and that they are worried and becoming more worried with each passing day. But he is not worried. Raven makes light of the whole thing with humor and intimation of the panicky voices he hears. Then one day at school the television gives the alert signal and the bombs drop.

After that the vast majority of the book takes place inside a vast and well apportioned nuclear bunker. This follows well known (and loved) PA themes that you'd find in books like Wool by Hugh Howey and The City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau and to a lesser extent What Niall Saw by Brian Cullen. It the placement of the bunker that made the story so different. It's the setting itself that I connected with.

When the bomb dropped Raven was at school. The bunker he was hustled into was hidden beneath the school. How the school came to have a giant state of the art bunker complete with a vast garden, a large armory, a barnyard full animals, as well as all the food needed to feed the residents of the bunker is not really explored. Raven does mention his surprise at its existence but he doesn't know either.

The interesting thing about the bunker being under a school is that all the adults were either teachers or were the administrative staff. So as the fledgling society begins to coalesce it chooses its leadership on those lines. The leader is known as The Principal, Teachers take on teaching duties as well as a political position. As children grow up in the School and graduate they take a test. If they score well enough they are trained as Teachers. If they don't score well they take other jobs that need to be done in the School grounds (the bunker).

Things go fairly well until Raven hears a radio signal. He tells his girlfriend and she goes apes***. Soon after that there is an uprising, a new Principal takes the helm, and soon things spiral out of control. In the back of his mind Raven is wondering if the world outside is really as bad everyone thinks or if he's been trapped and locked away for no good reason.

All in all a great book. Read very quickly and I wanted more. Here's hoping the you write the sequel Verdan ... and if so I stand ready to read and review it. Cheers.

Final thought: The giant radioactive squid monster was fantastic ... loved that part.

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments here's the direct link to the novel on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-After-Life-...

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments for some exclusive content and other post-apocalyptic goodies, join The After/Life community on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/theafterli...

See you there!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments The After/Life has just won the best ebook cover award on the Bookdesigner website! Check it out here!: http://www.thebookdesigner.com/

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments There is one thing I would like to share with the members of the group concerning The After/Life novel. All the royalties I have so far received for the novel (something like 80$) and all the royalties I will receive have been and will be donated to an orphanage in Gyumri town of Armenia. It is a special needs kids orphanage - the only one in our country. The building of the orphanage has been renovated by the foundation I work at but the kids still need that extra attention - the toys and the clothing and that little things that make them feel that there is still kindness in the world and no matter how hard the challenges and long the way there will always be someone to hold your hand and help you along on your way forward. As I move forward with this initiative, watch this space to see photo-stories on what's been accomplished.

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments My badge for winning the best ebook cover award has just arrived and it looks goooooood!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Just wanted to say thank you: The After/Life was added by 65(!) people to their to-read shelf! I really appreciate the support!

I also want to thank all the people who will be voting for the novel on this month's BOTM poll!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments I just received two more wonderful reviews for The After/Life:

J. Van Meter gives it 5 stars and says:

While I am usually not a fan of post-apocolyptic stories, I was impressed with Partamyan's The After/Life. To me, the novel is one character's meditation on the life they had juxtaposed against their current situation, and understanding their true nature as all young adults must do. The author has set up quite a few questions and mysteries throughout the story to entice the audience enough to warrant a sequel. On the whole, I found Raven's introspection to be a breath of fresh air among other protagonists in the genre. If I could find one fault with the The After/Life, it is that it is over too soon.

and Sandra gives it 5 stars. Here's the review:

A young man finds himself and the people he knew in a hole in the ground. A nuclear shelter to survive in after the ultimate event that everyone feared. But this shelter was built way before the event, because people knew it would happen. This young man grows up in this place and comes to realize that no matter where humanity resides, our basic makeup involves love/hate, fear/peace, acceptance/rejection, etc. He grows to love a girl, but she is outspoken and doesn't want to accept things as they are in that place. The leader of the people is like a dictator. There are some things people can accept up to a point and then something has to change. This author has made these people real. The characters are very well done, and the dynamics between them is realistic. The story gets your attention and keeps it all the way through. I really enjoyed this story and will be waiting for the sequel. Well done!!!

To be fair, I also received my first 1 star rating from Kace. Unfortunately, there was no review to go along with it so we will not know what he hated about the novel but he (she?) still gets the Internet honors of saying: First! :)))

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Just got a new review from Sirik. She rates the book 5 stars and says:

The After/Life Saga is a novel by an Armenian young author- Vardan Partamyan.
First of all I want to thank the author. I have read the book literally in one breath. And I am looking forward to the second part of the novel as well as to new books.
The After/Life Saga is a story about a boy named Nad Raven who saw the End and had been chosen to survive. The story is about the post apocalyptic life of a small society made up of survivors (School staff and students), a group of selected people , populated in a nuclear shelter, a huge metalic box, situated right beneath the school.
One can see that even in such circumstances life will go on. The people keep on living in all the senses of that word: fighting for their rights, fighting for honor and even for power! And even in the post apocalyptic world the truth of life is that power perverts people.
In the post apocalyptic world people's feelings are the same as in our world- joy, sadness, fear, anger,love and endless hope (people fond hope in a hopeless place). Here as in our life people fall in love,love and give birth (New Era).
However, Nad Raven, will never calm down, the thoughts about the life beyond the metalic walls will never leave him alone and eventually he will start his amazing voyage that will completely change his life.

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments I want to thank the 90(!) people who added my novel The After/Life. Your interest in my work is truly humbling and inspiring.

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments The After/Life will be free for one day only on May 9th. Get your free copy today here: http://www.amazon.com/The-After-Life-...

Enjoy the read and have a nice post-apocalyptic day!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Less than five hours to go until the end of free promotion. If you still haven't, grab your copy of the After/Life here: http://www.amazon.com/The-After-Life-...

The After/Life awaits... :)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments The After/Life is currently Amazon's top 5 hard sci fi bestseller and top 11 bestseller in the dystopia category!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments The free promotion is over and I want to thank the 417 people who participated in it!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments I would also like to thank the 86 people who added the novel to their to-read shelf!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments I received this review from a great fellow author Amy Queau:

4.5 Stars
Completely engrossing. Written beautifully. The only reason I didn't give it 5 Stars was because it was too short, but I completely understand why. I can see this story instantly becoming a classic and I'm looking forward to the next book. AMAZING work.

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Just received a 5 star review on the After/Life novel Amazon page from Leaflove:

Great read! Short read, but very quickly am hoping for the main character to break free and cheering him on. Looking forward to the second book!!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments A question, if you had to choose a direction of your journey in a post-apocalyptic wasteland and one way lead to where your first love has gone (albeit one who left you but later said that regretted the decision) and the other way into the unknown...where would you go?

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Just received this wonderful review from Sahana. She rates the novel 4/5 stars and says:

The After/Life is a post apocalyptic thriller that features a group of kids and adults that were present inside a school just before nuclear war engulfs the world. These kids and teachers hide in an underground shelter and try to maintain their sanity by creating an educational and working environment and name their new home School with the Principal governing as the head. This school is equipped with all the facilities required to ensure people are provided with food, water, air and electricity. The citizens of the School may either join the teaching community or maintain the facilities.

The protagonist, Nad Raven is a young man with a wild imagination and a weak heart which makes him crave for alcohol every time it breaks. (view spoiler)

Miss Kendall, Bars, Viler and Mr. Higgins are characters that leave a mark. Nad and Suzannah’s love story to me felt very genuine.(view spoiler) This book made me believe that however bad a situation may arise, even if the whole world is wiped out clean, the humans that survive will never change. Our ego, emotions, love, lust and most importantly hatred and need for power remains intact. It may stay hidden for a while but it will come out eventually and destroy everything all over again if there is nobody to keep it under check.

This book was a very engaging read and I finished it in a couple of hours. I never thought a post apocalyptic thriller would make so much sense. I have to admit, i was a bit terrified when I imagined the possibility of such a situation taking place 40 years from now. I wish very much that this book stays fiction and not a prophecy.

On a more serious note, The After/Life is a book that is very good and quite simple. Anybody who likes fiction and a fast thriller should give this book a try!! I am looking forward to the next book in this series to find out about Nad’s adventures.

Thanks again for the great review Sahana!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments In anticipation of the upcoming release of my new novel I, the Provocateur, my debut novel The After/Life is on a limited time sale. Get your copy today for just 99c, enjoy the post-apocalyptic read and support a charity in the process. Find out more here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-After-Life-...

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Another 5 star review!

"I enjoyed reading the book... I liked the way the novel was built: brisk and to the point. I also loved the way the author covered the past and brought us to where he was in the present. I also loved the ending twist, which was a great way to end the story and set up the background for the undoubtedly great adventures to come. Definitely looking forward to the continuation!"

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments After a flurry of ratings and reviews, The After/Life is currently rated 4.25 from 29 ratings and 17 reviews. I would like to take this opportunity and thank all the readers who too their time to express their opinion on the novel with an equal amount gratitude going to the people who praised the novel and to those who criticized it.

If you want to discover the secrets of the post-apocalyprtic afterlife for yourself, get your copy today as the special .99c sale is nearing its end.

Do not miss your chance and have a nice post-apocalyptic day!

message 25: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany :( I feel bad. I still haven't read it. I promise I will and write you a review. I have seriously slowed down on my reading these past couple months. But, I will definitely get read it when I get a chance. So happy for you that it's being received so well. Congrats!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments thank you, Bethany, and there is no rush... Read it when you feel like reading it. Also, you could make it a double feature and read it back to back with the upcoming I, the Provocateur. I think you will find it...spoiler alert, spoiler alert! Well, anyhow, I too am flattered by the kind of reviews I am receiving. People are connecting with the story, with the characters and the prevalent criticism so far has been the fact that people wish the book was longer. This too I perceive as a kind of compliment as that means that people would like to see more of the story, more of the characters...and they will. But, first up - I, the Provocateur...

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments the cover of the After/Life prequel I am currently working on:

message 28: by Bret (new)

Bret Wellman Wow, did you make that cover? It's sweet.

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments yup! I did! Thanks for the kind words, Bret. It's part of the process for me as I always think visually when I write and it helps to have a graphic representation of the feel and the look you are aiming for. Case in point: The White Wolf... Which I cannot disclose too much about and the protagonist: Sly Palatine who I also cannot reveal much about except for the fact that this is what he looks like in the novel with the notable absence of the radiation symbol in his eye :)))

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and fate

I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moments of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game.

”Sympathy for the Devil” The Rolling Stones

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments The After/Life is free for today only... get your copy now!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments THE AFTER/LIFE IS THE N1 SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL ON AMAZON!!! FIND OUT WHAT ALL THE HYPE IS ABOUT...FOR FREE! ONE HOUR TO GO!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments There was a dull cracking sound and the body of the guard slipped lifelessly to the ground. I got up and caught my reflection in the metal surface of the wall. It was me no more and the dark whisper himself was staring back at me (hope you guessed my name)…

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments The After/Life is on a special sale for just .99 cents! Get your copy now!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Just received this awesome 5* review:

The unique title was itself intriguing…

The story started with action - bomb blasting and nuclear war - , setting a scene for a perfect novel. I loved the narrator’s emotional side (or thoughts). Somehow, I could really relate the narrator with “lone heroes facing” innumerable challenges (as was said by Nad Raven himself).

Again, I loved a few quotes, like “We were together but each of us was alone….” I could almost feel the pain of the narrator (also his teachers and classmates) on being trapped in the underground vault.

The author proved his uniqueness by the repeated shifting of the story from present to past (mostly in form of thoughts) without mixing up the events and making the story confusing.

The little romance between Nad and Suzannah was lovely. Suzannah’s revolutionary attitude was also interesting. I liked her a lot.

Suzannah’s sudden disappearance increased my interest in the story. So, I believe that was the best part of the novel. That was place from where the real story started…

Teacher Kendall’s role was also decisive.

I was really pleased by the ending of part 1. Nad feeling the wind blowing against his face…a symbol of freedom…was really well-described.

Towards the end there was a quote on reaching either heaven or hell…that was a thought-provoking one too.

Totally loved the story! Also, there's romance in it, my favorite genre!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Just received this excellent review from Edita:

"very different from I, the Provacateur, but not less interesting. this story was not fast nor did the events rush through, accordingly setting an adequate mood of life after, a sence of time and a circular way of things, going not slowly but naturally.
this underground community and their life after the catastrophic event, main and backround characters created a sence of probability, as if it did ever happen, this is how people should build a community, a life after, at least to some point.
my overall mood about the story was both inspiring and devastating. the new era kids - i could not imagine, people living underground, denied of sunlight, wind, smell of grass, their relatives lost and dead, their homes destroyed and all that made goosebumps rise on my neck. yet still, the instinct to survive and live overpowered the "dark whisperer" (of which only readers are aware) and people still lived on, peacefully even in such circumstances until some point when another tradegy touched them from within. and it all makes perfect sence.
looking forward to a sequel.
i again Thank the Author for a wonderful story."

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments A 5* review from Yesenia:

"This story is about a young man in a post-apocalyptic world, where everything is destroyed by nuclear bombs and the survivors are forced underground. They live this life for over 20 years in relative peace until chaos is unleashed by one of their own. Love, suspense, action, and some sci-fi thrown in, this book will captivate readers from the moment they start reading. I know it captivated me."

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments The After/Life has just been voted the book of the month for August!

I would like to thank everyone who voted for the novel and I do hope that people will enjoy reading it for a different perspective on the forever topic of growing up, losing and finding and pursuing that one simple but often so evasive notion of freedom...

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/41...

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments A wonderful 5* review by the wonderful Julia:

"This well-written and engaging dystopian novel by Vardan Partamyan starts with a scene from the narrator's childhood. "I was five when the first bomb dropped," states the now-adult narrator. What follows is a recollection of scenes and situations that led to his confinement, along with his peers and teachers, to the fully-equipped fallout shelter. The story is dark, but the ending is hopeful. And that hope at the end of the story is no surprise, considering that the author works for a humanitarian foundation in his native Armenia and donates proceeds from this book to an orphanage. Not believing in positive outcomes would contradict the very way he lives his life.

There's a lot to like about this book, both in style and in content. The gradually changing age and role of the narrator at the school add to the complexity of the story as the story weaves together his childhood recollections, presented as immediate experiences, and a deeper analysis of the significance of the events as shown through the more mature perceptions of the same narrator as he gets older.

The lyrics of "Sympathy for the Devil" by The Rolling Stones that act as a refrain throughout the story, add another layer of philosophical complexity to the book, making the readers think about the cruel acts committed by humans at different times in our history, as presented from Lucifer's point of view. The lyrics also make us question who the Lucifer in the story really is. Quotes from "Sympathy for the Devil", in combination with the plot events, made me wonder about the reasons and circumstances that transform childhood innocence into evil.

Homer's Odyssey is another important reference in this tale. The narrator explains that he finds the main appeal of the Odyssey in the fact that it recounts a "a simple man's journey into the unknown and his strive for home." And that journey seems to be one of the main themes of Vardan Partamyan's story that promises to be explored in more depth in the continuation of this saga in Part II that is yet to be released. As Part I ends, the narrator's Odyssey is just beginning. As a reader, I can't wait to find out what happens next in this amazing story by a talented writer. I hope Part II comes out soon and takes me on my own Odyssey!"

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments I would like to once again thank everyone who was purchased my novel and thus supported the cause of helping an orphanage in Gyumri town of Armenia. Yesterday, I made another delivery of presents for the kids there. None of this would be possible without you! Thank you!

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments My post-apocalyptic novel The After/Life is currently on free promotion on Amazon. Grab your copy here and happy reading! http://www.amazon.com/The-After-Life-...

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments My new short story The Old Man and the Flower is now free on Amazon! Get you copy here: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Flower-Afte...

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments I have a new author page on Facebook! Follow the link below and like it to receive regular updates on my works as well as some exclusive tidbits of the art and literature I am working on! Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/VardanSParta...

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments how do you like the cover for the second short story in my The White Wolf: The Hunts series?

« previous 1

YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I, the Provocateur (other topics)