Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
Fairy Tale Retellings

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I would really like to know some other fairy tale retellings other than Cinder,I absolutely loved this booka and I really wanted more fairy tale retelings.

message 2: by Jillian (new) - added it

Jillian (cherybery1rocketmailcom) | 27 comments Splintered is a Dark Alice in Wonderland retelling.

message 3: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 43 comments Beautyis an excellent re-telling of "Beauty and the Beast". I enjoyed several others books by the author, Robin McKinley.

Katrina (katmcv) | 34 comments Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1) by Jackson Pearce (kind of Red riding hood retelling), Beastly (Kendra Chronicles, #1) by Alex Flinn (modern day beauty and the beast).

Here's a list of some, not sure that they're all relevant so read the plotlines, but it gives you a good sample of them http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Katrina wrote: "Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1) by Jackson Pearce(kind of Red riding hood retelling), Beastly (Kendra Chronicles, #1) by Alex Flinn(modern day beauty and the beast).

Here's a list of some, not sure that they're all relevant so read..."

I was thinking of reading Sisters Red, but I wasn't sure if it was good or not

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Jillian wrote: "Splintered is a Dark Alice in Wonderland retelling."

I love Alice in Wonderland, I will look at it, thanks

Katrina (katmcv) | 34 comments Latham wrote: "Katrina wrote: "Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1) by Jackson Pearce(kind of Red riding hood retelling), Beastly (Kendra Chronicles, #1) by Alex Flinn(modern day beauty and the beast).

Here's a list of some, not sure that they're all ..."

I liked it, enough to want to read the other ones in the series of fairytale retellings. Haven't gotten to them yet though.

I also haven't read Cinder but it's definitely on my to read list and will hopefully get to it in the next couple of months.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary JL wrote: "Beautyis an excellent re-telling of "Beauty and the Beast". I enjoyed several others books by the author, Robin McKinley."

I think I saw that book somewhere but I didn't really read the back or anything, I will read the plot or something

Heidi Ella Enchanted Ella Enchanted Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Heidi http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/96...

Here is a list. I agree with several of them!

message 11: by Kayla (last edited Mar 12, 2013 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 350 comments I love fairy tale retellings. One of my favorites is East of the Sun, West of the Moon; I usually refer to it as the Polar Bear King. But I've read 3 books, alike and different in their own ways. :)

East by Edith Pattou
Ice by Sarah Beth Durst
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George

Those are the 3 that I've read and loved.

message 12: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce

I really wish this book got more attention.

Bethany | 578 comments Alex Flinn, who wrote Beastly, has some other retellings as well. There is A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn , which is a really funny retelling of sleeping beauty and Cloaked by Alex Flinn , which is kind of a mash up of several stories.

There's Entwined by Heather Dixon , which is a retelling of the 12 dancing princesses.

Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard Rapunzel Untangled by Cindy C. Bennett Princess of the Midnight Ball (Princess #1) by Jessica Day George I haven't read all of these, but they are retellings so you could check them out.

Obviously Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer was, imo, one of the best retellings. The cool thing about the series is that each of the four books will feature a different 'princess' retelling. Cinder-Cinderella
book two Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer is a red-riding hood re-telling. books 3 (Cress) will feature Rapunzel and 4 (Winter) will feature Snow White. So those are some exciting ones to look out for. And Scarlet I've read and it was phenomenal.

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 6 comments I love Beauty, and I am reading Entwined right now and am finding it to be delightful!

message 15: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Entwined is on my list I hope to read that sooner rather then later :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm ordering Scarlet in. I'll probably read Beauty and I'll look Entwined up.I think theartsygal2 talks about it a lot. Hopefully she did a reveiw or something

message 17: by Theo (last edited Mar 15, 2013 05:42AM) (new) - added it

Theo Donna Jo Napoli does a lot of fairy-tale retellings:

Beast by Donna Jo Napoli Bound by Donna Jo Napoli Zel by Donna Jo Napoli Breath by Donna Jo Napoli Spinners by Donna Jo Napoli The Magic Circle by Donna Jo Napoli

Bethany | 578 comments I've never read any of her fairy tale re-tellings, but I have read Hush An Irish Princess' Tale by Donna Jo Napoli by her and she is a really beautiful writer. I'll have to check some of those out.

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 350 comments I really enjoyed Beast by Donna Jo Napoli by, Donna Jo Napoli, I was around 14 when I read it, but I would enjoy reading it again.

Becca | 1608 comments My favorite retelling is of The 12 Dancing Princesses. It's called Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier. Since reading that one, I've read all of her books and she has become my favorite author. She also has a retelling of Beauty and the Beast called Heart's Blood and a retelling of The Swan Brothers called Daughter of the Forest. Her books are slow, magical unfoldings and I can't get enough of them.

Hannah (shgmclicious) I second about half of the books here! There is also a "series" by Cameron Dokey, Debbie Viguie and others called Once Upon a Time that has some good titles, some not so great. http://www.goodreads.com/series/50079...

message 22: by Tai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tai (msglam) | 18 comments I have recently become obsessed with fairy tale retellings my favorites have been A White So Red by K.D. Jones Princess of Glass (Princess #2) by Jessica Day George .

Jim Hines also has a series which I enjoyed. The Stepsister Scheme (Princess, #1) by Jim C. Hines The Mermaid's Madness (Princess, #2) by Jim C. Hines Red Hood's Revenge (Princess, #3) by Jim C. Hines The Snow Queen's Shadow (Princess, #4) by Jim C. Hines (I have only read the 1st 2 books of the series so far.)

message 23: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica (ericalaurend) | 20 comments I'm currently reading Strands of Bronze and Gold (Strands of Bronze and Gold, #1) by Jane Nickerson which is a retelling of the Bluebeard fairy tale.

Bethany | 578 comments Becca wrote: "My favorite retelling is of The 12 Dancing Princesses. It's called Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier. Since reading that one, I've read all of her books and she has become my favorite author. Sh..."

Ditto. She is one of my all-time favorite authors. Love Wildwood Dancing and Heart's blood. Her stuff isn't YA, but it's still okay for a teen reader. Some of her books, like Daughter of the Forest, have some pretty mature issues. But Juliet is such an amazing author. She can tell a story like nobody's business! I've read all of her books too, with the exception of Wolfskin and Foxmask. But everything she writes is incredible! Just saying...

Brittany Thanks for these!!

Janet | 80 comments If you want the exhaustive list of fairy tale retellings it's at Sur La Lune.

Since you liked Cinder I'll bet you would particularly enjoy Ironskin, Toads and Diamonds, Entwined, and Shannon Hale's Book of a Thousand Daysand The Goose Girl. Like Mary JL, I also strongly recommend the Robin McKinley fairy tale retellings Spindle's End, Rose Daughter, and Beauty for everyone, but be warned Deerskinis more adult than YA-appropriate. And I agree with Harold that Elizabeth Bunce's Rupelstiltskin retelling A Curse Dark As Goldis fabulous! These are all YA. If you're interested in adult fairy tale retellings, too, let us know. There are so many great ones!

Ironskin (Ironskin, #1) by Tina Connolly Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson Entwined by Heather Dixon Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale Spindle's End by Robin McKinley Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley Beauty by Robin McKinley Deerskin by Robin McKinley A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce

message 28: by Ylenia (new)

Ylenia (yleniaadelasia) | 3 comments I'm reading Ash and Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile (although this one it's not a book but a comic) but I've read great reviews of both Entwined and The Goose Girl.

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 350 comments I picked up Stung by Bethany Wiggins the other day from the library... I hadn't realized that it's a supposed Sleeping Beauty retelling. Still only just in the beginning of the book, but I'm hoping it'll be good.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

You can try Lips touch: three times by Laini Taylor. It's 3 short stories that are retellings of not so common fairy tales from different cultures, but they're all beautifully written and the book definitely has that fairy tale element.