The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Television/Movie Mysteries > The Following

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 125 comments Has anyone been watching The Following? My husband and I Tivo it. We love it. I like Kevin Bacon, but he needs to excuse himself frombthe case since he's so emotionally involved. I guess it wouldn't be a show if he did.

Its just amazing how many people Joe Carroll has managed to manipulate into helping him. He is one smart guy.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaes98) | 4 comments My husband and I were watching it too but I just gave it up. I was just finding it so unrealistic that, from prison, Joe Carrol is allowed all these visits from an unlimited number of people, not one of whom said NO. My husband still enjoys it but I've moved on.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My husband and I watch the show every week and like it. We find it very similar to the Gretchen Lowell book series by Chelsea Cain. Gretchen is a female version of Joe Carroll who is so beautiful that she also has a following that helps her, and has this weird thing going with Archie, the man who is hunting her. I think you would like the series if you like The Following.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin Murphy (murfett) I love it. My husband hasn't quite latched onto it, but I'm hooked. I thought it was a unique angle to a serial killer/cop show. Although I wonder how long you can drag it out with regard to how many scenarios they can carry out. But I'll enjoy it for now.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1425 comments I love it, my husband and I watch it every week.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1425 comments I love it, my husband and I watch it every week.

message 7: by Linda (new)

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 50 comments I enjoy it, but surely there is a log of all his visitors which they can track the people?

message 9: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) It is #1 in priority for me. What a grand production. Why can't all presentations be this good?

message 10: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Kathryn wrote: "My husband and I watch the show every week and like it. We find it very similar to the Gretchen Lowell book series by Chelsea Cain. Gretchen is a female version of Joe Carroll who is so beautiful..."

I immediately thought of Cain's series as well. It is surprisingly similar to her story. I'm definitely hooked on this series.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 13, 2013 05:24AM) (new)

Ethan wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "My husband and I watch the show every week and like it. We find it very similar to the Gretchen Lowell book series by Chelsea Cain. Gretchen is a female version of Joe Carroll who..."

I wonder if The Following's creators got the idea from Chelsea Cain's series . . . I do like the book series better but it would probably be a bit much for tv.

message 12: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 125 comments I also think how can Carroll have so many unlogged visitors. When he was suppose to get transported I knew exactly what was going to happen. A guy with that many resources was going to find a way to escape.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 69 comments I am enjoying this show as well.

message 14: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 130 comments I also gave up on it, Lisa. I think it was two weeks ago, (view spoiler), just way too many convenient coincidences for me.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (worthwhilereading) | 145 comments I also gave up on it this week. I turned it off mid-show. I don't mind a little out there content, but it doesn't even make sense sometimes. I love Kevin Bacon, but I am not sure why he harnessed himself to this sinking ship. My son googled the ratings and they are dropping week by week sometimes only get 1/10.

message 16: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Kathryn wrote: "Ethan wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "My husband and I watch the show every week and like it. We find it very similar to the Gretchen Lowell book series by Chelsea Cain. Gretchen is a female version of J..."

Of course, a network television show is somewhat limited to what it depict to audiences, because of both medium and censorship.

message 17: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1358 comments I'll give a new series two episodes to hook me. This one didn't.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Ethan wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Ethan wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "My husband and I watch the show every week and like it. We find it very similar to the Gretchen Lowell book series by Chelsea Cain. Gretchen is a fem..."

Maybe Gretchen could replace Dexter when he finishes up later this year on Showtime.

message 19: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (code9) | 2 comments It's one of my favorite shows. As a writer, I'm fascinated by the plot. I agree with some of the comments about the visitor's log. But I'm willing to forgive that in lieu of the basic premise and the chilling suspense. Not to mention, I think the casting was perfect when it comes to Bacon and Purefoy. It's a fun ride.

I'm also watching "Cult" on another network. That has an intriguing premise also: a fictional TV crime series that extends out into the "real" world where "True Believers" may (or may not) be recreating the gruesome crimes from the series.

I wonder if this idea of dangerous cults is going to be the next big thing in TV crime shows. Will they all be jumping on the cult wagon? Didn't "Castle" have a cult as part of a recent plot?
Ash Return of the Beast by Gary Val Tenuta

message 20: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) I just want them to show all of the season back to back instead of this new 4 or 5 at a time.

What are they doing .... pay as you go .... make some then hiatus?

If I was an advertiser I would be reducing what I pay.

message 21: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Still watching this show and still enjoying it.