The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) The Bad Beginning discussion

The Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andres (new)

Andres Familiar This book is very sad but well made. The author writes in a way that makes you get into the book more. If you want to read all 13 of them which I have you have to read it from the beginning. Lemony Snicket tells you vocabulary you don´t understand and the story is pretty interesting. The title of the book is very cool and it is very true. The Unfortunate events that happen to these children are very sad and I do recommend this book if you like sadness mixed with happiness. It is basically about three siblings that were at the beach and one day their parents die in a house fire. The only relative is a greedy man called Count Olaf. Since the children's parents were millionaires Count Olaf wants all the money so he has to marry Violet which is the biggest out of the three. Each one of the siblings has a special talent. Violet invents things, Klaus reads a lot and is very intelligent and Sunny which is a baby bites a lot of things and has strong teeth. The three siblings always love each other and try to figure things out together. It is a true adventure to find happiness and love.

!?!BOoK LOvEr!?! yes! very well made!!!!

Andrea I have the whole series and loved each one. I liked the fact that both kids and adults could read and enjoy these novels.

Atarah Poling I have read all of them from the beginning, of coarse, how else can you read them? LOL. I agree with you. Lemony Snicket did a great job both with the plot of the story and his choice in words he used.

Hylian Princess One thing that I loved about these books is that even the narration, and not just the story, makes the point that even though life is hard, you can still find joy and humor and you can keep going!
Snicket's writing, word choice and sentence structure can be quite comical at times! I remember how he explained De ja vu! He repeated the same paragraph three times. He does all sorts of stuff like that, and just has a little humor in the way he describes even the worst of circumstances.
He also has a way of saying things in the most profound way. One of my favorite quotes is by him. It reads, "At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe that there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough. and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may, in fact, be the first steps of a journey."
Some people hate this series; they say the plot is shallow, and the ending is a disappointment.
However, in my opinion, the story isn't about the plot. It's about the hidden message that when life is hard you should smile, and keep going.

Sarah Hylian Princess wrote: "One thing that I loved about these books is that even the narration, and not just the story, makes the point that even though life is hard, you can still find joy and humor and you can keep going! ..."

*applauds*

Tatyana Billiard Andres wrote: "This book is very sad but well made. The author writes in a way that makes you get into the book more. If you want to read all 13 of them which I have you have to read it from the beginning. Lemony..."
Tatyana, i know it feels soooooooooo real its just a really good seires of books

Tatyana Billiard Andrea wrote: "I have the whole series and loved each one. I liked the fact that both kids and adults could read and enjoy these novels."

And sh enarates the book so u feel like your one of them

Hylian Princess Sarah wrote: "Hylian Princess wrote: "One thing that I loved about these books is that even the narration, and not just the story, makes the point that even though life is hard, you can still find joy and humor..."

Oh thank you! :D

Steve I am 40 years old, I just like reading these books because they are hilarious! There are quite a few jokes in these novels that might fly over some folks' heads.

Tatyana Billiard ok thats grate

Candice I think this is a great book and I can not wait to finish the series

MizziQ I will always remember the chapter about the pickles. ( if u dnt know what im talking about just ignore:)) i forget which book it is from in the series. #5? anyways that chapter stuck for some reason. Lol

Tatyana Billiard hahaha that so funny

Tatyana Billiard me to candice

Angie The book, apart from have an interesting plot, it enhances vocabulary. I haven't heard or know during my live until I read the book what standoffish does stand for.

Tatyana Billiard for an examlpe
He can be quite stand-offish and rude, even to his friends
i found this on the internet

message 18: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Williams I loved that when Esme Squalor (love that name)wore stilleto heels (and also carried a stilleto) that he gave the definitions for both and discussed the origins. I love everything about these books (especially the fact that I read them with my son when he was in the second and third grades.) I work in a middle school library and they are still popular with my students.

MizziQ I think it was the series that really got me hooked on mystery stories. I love the dark humor he puts in his books. This series was like the snowball that got me started on my, now, favorite books of all time.

Yazid (Ciel) love this books. i really want it to be at least 20 series :)

Mansi i read all of them and cherished every word.

message 22: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Reed TikiPaws12 wrote: "I think it was the series that really got me hooked on mystery stories. I love the dark humor he puts in his books. This series was like the snowball that got me started on my, now, favorite books ..."

i agree!

Kendall This series is addicting! I read the 5th one in 1 day!

MizziQ my whole family hates the movie but i don't know why! it was a lot like the books and amazing!

message 25: by Pola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pola I loved the whole series of the books but honestly I did not think that the movie was equal to the books.. I mean it was not like the books..

Yazid (Ciel) but the movie's great! although klaus is without his glasses..

message 27: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Yazid wrote: "but the movie's great! although klaus is without his glasses.."

I am yet to watch the movie :]
I hope it is good as you say it is.

Talia  S i liked the books way more than the movie, but the movie was good too. it is just that they kind of switched the story a bit

message 29: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Talia wrote: "i liked the books way more than the movie, but the movie was good too. it is just that they kind of switched the story a bit"

Switched story? Then I admire the director's discretion. I don't want see a book translated to a movie for word for word, detail by detail.

Steve I cant help but wonder how much better the film would have been without Jim carrey's soulless mugging. I own the dvd, just so I can spend some time with the commentary by "Lemony Snicket" himself. ;)

message 31: by Maya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
i love this book

message 32: by Angie (last edited May 26, 2011 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie It's one of those occasions where it would be very unfair to compare the movie with the book. Both the movie and the series are great despite being at some point like chalk and cheese.

By the way, it's so funny that Mr Snicket hasn't shown up so his "representative" has to take his place who seems to have exactly an opposite personality: happy, funny, a comedian.:D:D

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

i luv this book it starts a series of wonderful books

Tatyana Billiard well hwos your favoite carater

MizziQ claus

Tatyana Billiard butter be scotch wrote: "Talia wrote: "i liked the books way more than the movie, but the movie was good too. it is just that they kind of switched the story a bit"

Switched story? Then I admire the director's discretion..."

butter be scotch wrote: "Talia wrote: "i liked the books way more than the movie, but the movie was good too. it is just that they kind of switched the story a bit"

butter be scotch wrote: "Talia wrote: "i liked the books way more than the movie, but the movie was good too. it is just that they kind of switched the story a bit"

were did you find the dvd is it the whole siries!!!!!????????

MizziQ It's just a movie. I don't think it's the WHOLE series. But I haven't watched it in a while so...

Tatyana Billiard ok thx and whos your favoite charater

MizziQ TikiPaws12 wrote: "claus"

Meeeriams Fleep I personally think the books were uniquely different, like Snicket has sort of woven both himself and the reader into the story (e.g. Kit Snicket) and THE FILM was totally RUINED, in my opinion. I just wonder if they're planning on making a sequel to be honest.

message 41: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Hylian Princess wrote: "One thing that I loved about these books is that even the narration, and not just the story, makes the point that even though life is hard, you can still find joy and humor and you can keep going! ..."

I agree with you...you have taken the words right out of my mouth and Bravo!!

Yazid (Ciel) Tatyana wrote: "ok thx and whos your favoite charater"

i like klaus

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like this book.

MizziQ Oops...spelled his name wrong. you can tell I haven't read the books for a while. :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

i really like these books alot. they are sad but very well thought out!

Queencelarrocooren THE BOOK WAS REALLY AWESOME,, FULL OF ADVENTURES AND UNEXPECTED SITUATIONS .. I THINK SNICKET HAS A VERY CREATIVE MIND TO WRITE THESE WONDERFUL SERIES.. . . .IT WASNT REALLY AS PLEASANT AS OTHERS WOULD LIKE YET IT TELLS MORE ABOUT THE DISASTERS AND SOMEWHAT CLOSE TO REALITY OF LIFE AND WHAT WAS FUN AND AMAZING PARTS ARE WHEN VIOLET, KLAUS , AND SUNNY WERE ABLE TO THINK FOR A SOLUTION QUICKLY AND INTELLIGENTLY AT THEIR VERY YOUNG AGE.. ..WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD SOMEBODY THINK THAT THIS BOOK IS NOT ENJOYABLE???..AGH. =)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

abby
lookin 4 an abby

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I <3 these books!!!!

Jenny Me too! Snicket is my favorite.

Jenny I liked the books better, also. My favorite character would be...... Sunny. She's so adorable!

« previous 1