Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Manga > Favorite Manga

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are your favorite manga series? They don't have to be shounen. Why do you love them?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

One Piece because it can be
funny and serious moments during stories lines

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Cross Game 1 - so much more than just a sports manga. A coming of age story that's one of my favorites of all time even though I don't actually like baseball.

Claymore: Silver-Eyed Slayer - a dark, tense action series about a group of warriors who become monsters to fight them.

Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms - a sad but beautiful slice-of-life story about the effect of Hiroshima on everyday life through the years.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms sounds really good. I'm going to check it out.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike | 239 comments Mod
It's fantastic. And complete in one volume too. Hope you enjoy it!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I requested it for purchase at my library. One of these days they're going to ban me from doing that because of how often I do it. :P

message 7: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments Haha Wednesday, I think they are gonna ban me at mine

Mike that manga sounds awesome!!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

They ILLed for me and I should be getting it soon.

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments It is hard to pick one...

I love 美少女戦士セーラームーン 1 by Naoko Takeuchi . I grew up with this anime and loved the manga so much that it became my gate way into other manga. I love the artwork and the sometimes whimsical love story that can happen between the characters...and at the end of the day I will always love Sailor moon out of, if nothing else, nostalgia.

Black Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana Toboso - From the instant I read this manga and watched this anime I loved it. The artwork it good, the story line really draws me in to the point that I cannot wait for the next manga to be released and the second it is I quickly consume that too. It is dark, sometimes really dark, but it always adds a little bit of humor and "cuteness". I think because it adds some of those other elements, it makes it a manga that can appeal to everyone.

message 10: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 114 comments I'm a Azuma fan!
I love Yotsuba&! and Azumanga Daioh!!!

Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01 by Kiyohiko Azuma Azumanga Daioh Volume 1 by Kiyohiko Azuma

I LOVED the anime of Azumanga Daioh, and hoping for an anime for Yotsuba&!
I really love the art, comedy and story.

I can't wait for the next volume of Yotsuba&! よつばと! 12 by あずま きよひこ

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "Haha Wednesday, I think they are gonna ban me at mine

Mike that manga sounds awesome!!"

It's really amazing. I had never heard of it until a friend of mine walked into work one day with his copy, handed it to me and said "You have to read this!" Since then I read everything he recommends. :)

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Nekokit wrote: "I can't wait for the next volume of Yotsuba&!"

*gasp* I didn't know volume 12 was in the Goodreads catalog yet! I can't wait until it's released in the US!

message 13: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 114 comments I know!
I found it unexpectedly.
It gave me great shock as well! ☺

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm on volume 9, but the person who has volumes 9 and 10 hasn't turned them in yet, despite the fact that they're now ten days overdue. I'm not sure I'm going to get them. :( I have 11 though.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments One of my first favorites was One Piece. I love how multilayered it is. On the surface, it's just an adventure story about a group of friends trying to accomplish their dreams. But underneath that, it's about a corrupt tyrant, racism, and living by your own set of morals. This gives it staying power. I liked it as a kid for the fantastical adventures, and I like it now for the (relatively) deeper themes and messages. It's other main strong point is that, unlike many other long running shonen, it hasn't lost itself. For example, Naruto and Bleach both started out good, but progressively lost track of the aspects that made them enjoyable in the beginning. But One Piece is still the same quirky fun that it's been for almost 15 years and 70 volumes.

On the other end of the manga spectrum, one of my recent favorites is A Bride's Story. The story is so simple and relaxing, the characters relatable, and the culture is exotic enough to be interesting yet familiar enough for it to strike a chord. And don't even get me started on the art. It's simply breathtaking. From the natural scenery to the scenes of regular village life, everything is just beautiful.