The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3) The Indigo Spell discussion

The Indigo Spell's ending: Unpopular Opinion (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Savannah Am I the only one who didn’t like the ending of The Indigo Spell? And I don’t mean when Zoe shows up; I don’t think anyone liked that. I mean the chapters leading up to that. From when Jill gives Sydney really random advice onward.

Here’s why I didn’t like those parts.

Jill’s random philosophical advice: Am I the only who felt the whole scene was just random? Jill hasn’t even met Marcus or the Merry Men. She only sees what Adrian sees through the bond, which isn’t much at all. How does she possibly, logically, know enough about them to say things like “They talk, you act,”? I couldn’t get over that. Honestly, I admired her for trying to make Sydney stay, but this “advice” she gave her sounded very immature and naïve to me. I love Jill to pieces, but since when does she know the extent of what the Alchemists would do to Sydney if she got caught?

Sydney’s speech to Marcus: I was so proud of our girl standing up to a rebel leader, but like Jill, I thought she also sounded naïve. When Sydney said she wanted to leak that information to the Moroi, I found myself thinking for the first time ever, something she said was stupid. That would cause panic. And Marcus is right, the Alchemists would sure as heck deny it. They would also find a way to trace the source back to Sydney. I agreed with Marcus, that they needed more information. It’s like charging someone with murder in the US. If you don’t have enough evidence, you wait, because you can never go back and recharge if you mess up. That information Sydney’s found is too valuable to waste, and she should know that. She’s not impulsive, or at least she wasn’t up until these last chapters.
It seemed like everyone painted Marcus as a slacker because of Sydney’s new “get up and go” attitude, but I never got that at all. I honestly don’t know what to think of him. I don’t think we (the readers) or the characters have enough information to state anything about him yet. I hope we learn more in coming books. Who's his family? Is Marcus Finch even his real name?
But back to Sydney's speech at the end: another thing that bothered me was the randomness of it. There’s no build up to her thinking Marcus "runs away and skulks around." There’s not even any build-up to her deciding not to go. She just does a complete 180 on him.

“Where the hell is this coming from?”

I don’t know, Marcus. I honestly don’t know.
I mean, I didn’t necessarily think she should go to Mexico, but I don’t think she should’ve elected to do things completely her own way either.

The whole “I realized I’m in love” thing: As much as that line made me squeal, I once again found myself with Marcus on this one. (And I didn’t agree with him in all parts of the book.)

“And you just realized that? Did you have some sort of vision or something?”

This scene had the potential to be the most beautiful scene in the series, but it fell flat for me, because there was no build-up. Sydney just does that complete 180, hops out of the car, and goes to Adrian. There’s not nearly enough conflict, or over-analyzing. Honestly, it would’ve been more believable to me if Sydney did have some sort of vision.

And the main reason I didn’t care for the end: SYDNEY.

There are certain things about her character that no amount of rebelliousness or being in love can change. I understand her being a little reckless and wanting to break out. I understand her taking Jill’s advice because she really doesn’t want to go. But Sydney seemed so unlike herself to me in those last chapters. I was shocked she even thought about going to Mexico in the first place. Here’s why:

The whole point of Sydney taking the Palm Springs mission was to protect her little sister Zoe, whom she loves to pieces. One of my favorite things about Sydney is her compassion for her family, despite how dysfunctional it can be. When Sydney’s getting ready to go rogue, she just doesn’t as much think about the effect running away would have on her sisters, on her mother, or even on her horrendous father. That’s just not Sydney at all. As much as she loves Adrian, her love for her family has driven her to do what she does. I felt like it should’ve at least been a factor in her decision not to go to Mexico.

There were other things about her that seemed out of whack toward the end, and I think that there’s going to be a reason for that. Richelle has put so much work into making Sydney this complex, conflicted character, and I hope that The Indigo Spell’s ending was not the big changing moment Sydney is going to have in the series. Maybe Sydney’s kind of lost her way and that’s why she’s thrown some of her old traits out of the window? Maybe breaking her tattoo affected her more than she realizes? Maybe she really is just starting to lash out? I even felt like Adrian was a little uncomfortable in the end. He was happy to see her, but even he could tell something was up. Seeing as Sydney doesn’t even look like the same person on the cover of The Fiery Heart, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s about to go through an identity crisis of sorts, which would actually be believable, considering everything she’s been through/is going to go through. She’s bound to go off the rails a little eventually.

So, in closing, don’t get me wrong, I liked the book, but the ending didn’t feel natural to me. Did anyone else feel this way at all? I’d love to hear other opinions on it.

S.L.J. I think Sydney's sudden turnaround was meant to happen because she broke the tattoo. A few hours after she yells at Stanton down the phone which surprises her and then becomes more and more rebellious as the book come to a close which seems to indicate that she was under some kind of control the whole time.

I think Jill has grown up alot since the beginning of the series. She was a little whiney and childish to begin with but seems to be maturing very quickly now. And now that she's bonded to Adrian, I am not really surprised that she suddenly came out with surprisingly good advice.

I am a little surprised that Sydney didn't think about her family when she decided to leave but that also seemed more like she was running away because she was scared of what could happen between her and Adrian more than anything else. She wasn't exctly thinking straight.

Although, I think she would look pretty cool with an Indigo tattoo instead of a Golden Lily. :P

Savannah S.L.J. wrote: "I think Sydney's sudden turnaround was meant to happen because she broke the tattoo. A few hours after she yells at Stanton down the phone which surprises her and then becomes more and more rebelli..."
I agree with the tattoo having a lot to do with it. I'm just worried how much further this new rebellious attitude is going to escalate. I'm afraid Sydney's going to learn some final shocking secret about the Alchemists and then just blow up. I'm also afraid something bad's going to happen to someone she cares about while she's out rebelling and stuff. I think she's going to have to break and then build herself back up. The way she was acting just felt unnatural to me.

And as for Jill, I agree she's definitely matured a lot. I didn't agree with her advice here though. It would've been great, but I think that she and everyone else are misreading Marcus pretty badly. I have the feeling there's a lot we don't know about him. I feel certain Richelle hasn't just built him up, and then a pretty boy slacker is all we get.

And I agree with the not thinking straight part too. I just don't like it, I guess. It's just so un-Sydney like, even if she is scared of being in love. I at least hoped it would've crossed her mind.

Haha, I hope she gets a different design than crescents if she gets the indigo though. (What's up with that anyway? haha. What guy gets moons tattooed on his face? lol.) She should let Adrian design her tattoo. Hopefully he'd go for the fiery heart and not the pirate skeleton hahaha :P

message 4: by S.L.J. (last edited Mar 12, 2013 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.L.J. Savannah wrote: "S.L.J. wrote: "I think Sydney's sudden turnaround was meant to happen because she broke the tattoo. A few hours after she yells at Stanton down the phone which surprises her and then becomes more a..."

Maybe she could get a flaming skeletal ninja riding a motorcycle instead (with ninja stars and a skeleton parrot of course) :P

I think Marcus is going to be the sort of paranoid/good intentions guy. I get the feeling that sort of attitude is going to continue until he gets a push that turns him into a full on rebel with a cause that might even save the day.

He seems sort of like a 'better late than never' type guy.

I think Jill is on her way to becoming a real General type character. Sort of like when Mia went from being a childish little bitch to a true bad-ass. Jill is going from a scared child to a royal leader. By the end of the series, I think she'll be yelling at the other Moroi to get their s*** together! :D

Also, Sydney has waaaay more personal obsticles to overcome that Rose did. First she's had to get over her fear of Vampires, now she's had to question her beliefs and soon she's going to have to embrace the fact that she's a witch and in love with a vampire. Both of which, alot of people are going to hate her for. I'm not really surprised that she is starting to move at a mile a minute.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't like Sydney implying that Marcus was a coward to his face. I don't think he's a coward. Breaking away from the Alchemists and helping others do the same are pretty brave things to do. I hope we see more of him later on in the series.
AND...I hope that Sydney doesn't do anything too crazy.

Savannah I completely agree with you, Brooke. he's obviously got some kind of plan too, or he wouldn't be doing what he's doing. I think we'll see a lot more of him, probably sooner than we think. I have a theory about what 's going on with him, and I hope I'm right, haha.

Kallie Hudson i loved this book especially the ending because I love the fact that shes finally getting a back bone and doing watt she wants to do

Savannah I've always felt that she had a backbone. I just felt she made some bad decisions at the end, for the wrong reasons. She didn't feel as compassionate or considerate or adorably intellectual at the end, that's all. I'm proud of her for doing what she wants to do too, I just feel like she's going mess up, big-time.

message 9: by M. (last edited Apr 27, 2013 06:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

M. The entire book was a let down, not only the ending. I didn't like that Richelle turned Adrian into one of the cheesiest male characters in YA. What happened with the cool Adrian? Even when he was pursuing Rose, he was still an awesome character. In Indigo Spell, not so much.
I also didn't like the missed opportunity with Marcus. There was so much build up and what we get is a watered down version of Adrian.
I thought the witch aspect could be cool, but I didn't want it to be the entire focus of the story. Plus, it would have been nice if the rest of the characters had been included in the main plot.

message 10: by Zoee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoee Alexandraa I also really think that a lot of it was a mental control that she thought the tattoo had on her. There's only so much the tattoo controlled, but she thought this entire time that it had this big hold on her. Which could be why after the tattoo was broken she completly changes. It would've also changed her mental state on it, knowing that the tattoo couldn't control her anymore, so she stopped controlling everything else that she thought the tattoo was doing, but it was really just her.
Does that make sense?

Sonja Zoee wrote: "I also really think that a lot of it was a mental control that she thought the tattoo had on her. There's only so much the tattoo controlled, but she thought this entire time that it had this big h..."

Yup, it makes sense

Savannah Mika wrote: "The entire book was a let down, not only the ending. I didn't like that Richelle turned Adrian into one of the cheesiest male characters in YA. What happened with the cool Adrian? Even when he was ..."

The book to me just very obviously screamed "I'M A FILLER/BRIDGE BOOK". It was so built up, we all expected to have some great secrets revealed, and we didn't learn anything new at all really.

As for Marcus, I think he's very obviously plotted. I think Richelle's planning something big with him. I have my theory on what this is, and it seems to make really good sense. So, I think he'll be a very beloved character by the end of the series. I feel like the Indigo Spell was just his introduction, that there's going to be far more to him than meets the eye.

The witch thing was good but it needs some explanation! How is Sydney even a witch? These things really need to be answered in The Fiery Heart. They have to be, almost. When we know more about them, I'll be able to get more into them.

Savannah Zoee wrote: "I also really think that a lot of it was a mental control that she thought the tattoo had on her. There's only so much the tattoo controlled, but she thought this entire time that it had this big h..."

Completely agree here. I think the tattoo has had this restraint on her her entire life, and now suddenly that gone. She feels every emotion more powerfully than before, the good and the bad.