Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Manga > How Did You Get Into Manga?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How did you become interested in manga? Was it through anime first? Which series was your first?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I was first introduced through InuYasha (as I'm sure so many others are). I saw the anime first when my cousin "recommended" it. Actually, she made me stay up all night just catch an episode on Adult Swim. When I found out about the manga I picked that up. Soon after I began exploring more anime and manga. Considering my interest started when I was in 7th grade and I'm now a sophomore in college, I've been a fan for years, though I stopped watching anime for a while and only read manga.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments I started getting into manga in high school. I think in maybe 9th grade, I started watching all of the Miyazaki movies. I started watching more anime in general and became interested in reading the manga of the shows that I liked. I started on Dragon Ball and went on from there. It was a slow start for me: I didn't really get into manga until last year when I told myself, "I'm going to read more manga". I read the first volume of every manga series my library had and kept going form there.

message 4: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 389 comments Mod
Anime I've been into since Sailor Moon first aired in the US. Manga I got into when a friend showed me Tokyo Mew Mew. I ran out and bought them, then got into Fruits Basket, and the rest is history. :D

message 5: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments Anime! Been obsessed since I was 3 or 4 years old! I love you Pokemon hehe

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments I started watching Sailor Moon when I was little and the I watched pokemon, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto and a few other Animes. However, my first intro into Manga was actually a year ago(years after I feel in love with Anime) when they re-released the Sailor Moon Manga. Since then I have read many series. It is really addicting to read Mnaga and I cannot stop!

message 7: by Keely (new)

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 17 comments I started with anime, Pokemon when I was little then Bleach, Naruto etc. about 4 years ago.
I actually only started reading manga this year and so far havent read that much but the first I read was Fruits Basket which I have now finished and am currently reading Naruto and Bleach.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I love how almost everyone watched Pokemon when they were a kid.

message 9: by Anki (new)

Anki (shadrachanki) | 8 comments Like everyone else who has posted so far I started with anime. When I was little I loved watching things like Maple Town; Noozles; Belle and Sebastian; Adventures of the Little Koala; and Mysterious Cities of Gold (Yes, I realize this list dates me), but the first show I remember watching knowing it was from Japan was Slayers. From there I moved on to other series in a variety of genres and styles.

It took me longer to get into manga. When I first started watching anime there were very few manga series available translated in English, those that were translated had to be purchased at specialty shops, and the cost per volume was prohibitively high for my budget as an unemployed high-school student. Additionally, everything that was being translated was also being flipped which meant the art was subtly off, stylistically speaking. So while I had friends that shared some of their manga with me, it just didn't catch on at that time.

I started reading manga when I got to college. While I was in college more series became available in English, and the cost per volume dropped to something that was more affordable. I also started taking Japanese classes and became friends with a couple girls in my class who owned a bunch of manga (in Japanese) and were willing to translate things (they had more Japanese experience than I did). The end result is I now have a fairly respectable manga collection, and I enjoy finding new series (though I have become a whole lot pickier about the stuff I buy).

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 111 comments A friend introduced me into anime, and I have been a fan since then. My first anime was DBZ the all time favorite.

message 11: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 15 comments I became interested in manga because of anime. So I picked up Shonen Jump magazine to check if I might like it. I did. My first manga were Naruto and D. Gray-Man.

message 12: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 3 comments I actually just started reading manga. Started reading "doubt" and switched to "Tail of the Moon." I like them so far. Which are your faves? I also picked up "one piece" which I will start later

message 13: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 3 comments And I became interested after attending Comic Con lol

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 111 comments I wanted to go to comic con but haven't yet due to no way to one:)

message 15: by Selena (new)

Iesha (In east shade house at...) wrote: "I wanted to go to comic con but haven't yet due to no way to one:)"

You could look up a local convantion at animecons.com. There might be one closer to you. :)

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 111 comments Yea it is but the closest one is three hours away sdly

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Lyndsey wrote: "I actually just started reading manga. Started reading "doubt" and switched to "Tail of the Moon." I like them so far. Which are your faves? I also picked up "one piece" which I will start later"

Doubt the horror manga or the shoujo manga? I read the horror one awhile ago, and I was wondering if the shoujo one is any good.

Iesha (In east shade house at...) wrote: "Yea it is but the closest one is three hours away sdly"

I have the same problem. There's nothing geeky near me. :P

message 18: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 3 comments The horror one about the kids who play the rabbit and wolf game and then wake up in some abandoned building and have to catch the wolf before the wolf gets them. I just started Tail of the Moon Vol. 2. The first one was good but a bit juvenile. I alrdy bought vol. 2 and 3 so ill read those and see if I want to continue the series or not.

Comic con was great this year. Attendance from last year went from like 13,000 people to over 50,000. It was chaotic but the cosplayer costumes were great

message 19: by Aina (new)

Aina (computeridol) When Sailor Moon came out in Japan (anime) when I was born in 1991. Since my earliest memories and beyond that according to my mum, I watched it with her. Japanese of course. By 7 I picked it back up and my mum got me all the seasons with fan subs on VHS (: The rest was history

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I first got into anime in my tween years. Naruto was my first but then later on I got into Tokyo Mew Mew, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Black Cat. Sadly, I never even saw Sailor Moon. ;__; It's on my to-watch list though.

message 21: by Eriel (new)

Eriel (miarainbow) | 112 comments Pokemon was my first anime and a few years later I began with...
Inuyasha!
Which I'm re-reading now

message 22: by Ray (new)

Ray | 1 comments Wednesday wrote: "How did you become interested in manga? Was it through anime first? Which series was your first?"
Wow this takes me back, I got into manga after...Pokemon, Dragon Ball z, Sailormoon, Cardcaptors....whoah the list really does go on..

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna (AnnaTheHaibane) I got interested in anime first through studio ghibli movies (my favorites are nausicaa, howl's moving castle, and castle in the sky) when I was maybe 10 or 11. Then, last year, I watched soul eater. I really liked it (finished it in a week) so I searched the anime genre on hulu and netflix. Soon after that came Fullmetal Alchemist and Ouran Highschool Host Club.
After I got around to watching Madoka Magica, I realized that the manga only had 3 volumes, so it seemed like a reasonable place to start my manga collection. And.... yeah. That's it... sorry if it was a bit long.

message 24: by Deathbedonbay (new)

Deathbedonbay | 6 comments i know this sounds weird but i thought animax was like another version of animal planet (i have to thank animal planet for making me an otaku) and so i checked it out and luckily for me fairy tail's first episode was airing and well i researched fairy tail and the doors opened.

message 25: by Glitchieyt (new)

Glitchieyt TTV | 9 comments Started like any other day with pokemon, you know, everybody was into it back then. Later on, the Toonami commercial would show up a nice DBZ episode or Voltron episode for us. Thanks to that, in my later years I decided to go and get myself a Shonen Jump, and everything went from there.

message 26: by Summer (new)

Summer (wildskf) Admittedly, it was Pokemon that got me into manga. I was very interested in the original Red/Blue back in the day, and from there got hooked onto the TV series. In packages of the VHS, they had little mini-comics from 'The Electric Tale of Pikachu' ... and I liked the style so much that I sought out more. This led to escapades on Toonami, and renting anime from the local video store, haha. I was probably too young for most of it, and my parents had no idea what I was getting into.

I have no regrets!

message 27: by The blue (new)

The blue   (beyondtheblueskies) naruto and black butler got me in to manga

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

My older sister used watch Sailor Moon on tv along Naruto a few years back when we watched together ^^
Afterwards, first manga I read is Naruto, Full metal Alchemist, Bleach and since then check out manga since then...........

message 29: by InuLover (new)

InuLover (sango) | 4 comments My cousin had freinds over and they were watching Inuyasha movie 2. A couple years into the future, a kid in my class had brought Inuyasha mangas to class and I have been hooked ever since.

message 30: by Prarthna (new)

Prarthna Roy (prarthnaroy) | 25 comments I started watching anime like DBZ, Naruto, Detective Conan, Doraemon when I was really little. But I got into manga after watching Inuyasha. Then I watched and read fairy tail, black butler, bleach and I am into all the popular manga and anime being showcased. I am also into J-POP as well, so everybody except a few fellow fans think I've gone bonkers, but then the politically correct word should be otaku.

message 31: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell | 32 comments I actually didn't get into manga until about a year after I started watching anime. I remember, I first watched DBZ (of course ^_^) and then saw Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, and Cowboy Bebop. Later on, I was talking to a friend who also liked anime and he told me about manga. I went to the nearest local bookstore soon after (I actually begged my mom to take me) and got my first manga, which was, funny enough, Pokemon. After that, well, I was hooked.

message 32: by Ash (new)

Ash | 74 comments I always spell this wrong but a few years ago the Fuze channel showed Tenjho Tenge & Ergo Proxy on Friday or Saturday nights. From there I found Bleach & the Adult Swim Saturday night lineup. I always say Bleach is my first love because it is the first manga I read, & still do. I then read Tengho Tenge manga since that was the first show that introduced me to anime.

message 33: by The blue (new)

The blue   (beyondtheblueskies) Naruto and Black butler and vampire knight was my frist manga

message 34: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 5 comments When I was nine or ten, I watched Beyblade with my brother's friends. Then, in fifth grade, my friend forced me to watch the first episode of Fairy Tail with her and I loved it. Soon after, I watched Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist. I read my first manga because we had a secret santa and the girl I got loved manga, so I got two copies of No. 6. One for me, one for her. I then read the rest of Naruto because it was way too long to watch.

message 35: by Mike (new)

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Really didn't get into either until college, where I read Ranma 1/2 and was introduced to anime via El Hazard, Blackjack, and Here is Greenwood. I immediately immersed myself in anime but it would be several years before I read more manga. Nowadays it's completely reversed and I read much more than I watch.

message 36: by Kris (new)

Kris | 1 comments I started reading manga when I was in the fifth grade, and the experience actually ties into how I got into anime as well. My first manga was Naruto vol 7 (I was at a friend's house and she was showing me her collection of Naruto novels). I remember being really confused at first. However, after playing Naruto Ultimate Ninja, I became interested in the story (but spoiled myself to so many details). From then on I started watching the show, and checked out more manga :)

message 37: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 8 comments I found some Ranma 1/2 volumes somewhere. At that moment, manga was not so popular, I had never seen any in my country and in a trip to USA I saw them in the middle of a lot of comics and I just bought them ... and then the magic started :)

Ertica*~She'sABookBirdy~*Castley (ertica) | 5 comments I started getting into Manga when i was in my elementary school. It was pretty cool and very fun! I read dragon ball, some romance manga series i didnt remember. I still like manga until now.

message 39: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Samatar (DOMINICSAMATARGMAILcom) | 9 comments The librarian said they were doing something with the superman comics so I was all like "Awww" but then I saw this other comic (didn't know it was manga) and started reading. It made no sense cause I wasn't reading it backwards but then I figured it out and it was really weird and cool. The manga was volume 44, one piece. So yeah.

message 40: by Glitchieyt (new)

Glitchieyt TTV | 9 comments I started with Speed Racer as a kid.

message 41: by Ozan (last edited May 02, 2017 06:43AM) (new)

Ozan  (dotanuki) | 3 comments I grew up with many animes and as soon as i learned english which was at university at 2003, i dived in to manga. The first manga i have ever bought was probably The Ghost in The Shell, but i'm not sure. The Ghost in The Shell was so big back then with the release of the Mamoru Oshii directed anime film.

message 42: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 15 comments I found out about the existence of manga and anime three years ago, while preparing my research proposal for a PhD is cyberpunk. When posting queries on various SF groups on good reads, numerous people emphatically insisted I couldn't do justice to cyberpunk without looking at manga and anime. So I set out to explore these forms, and have been hooked ever since. now I wish to learn Japanese and stay in Japan and find a teaching job in Japan!

message 43: by Selena (new)

Lit Bug wrote: "now I wish to learn Japanese and stay in Japan and find a teaching job in Japan!"

I have a friend who did some teaching in Japan. I remember she had to teach for a year in China first to get experience, since Japanese schools won't take you without experience first. She also said you should be prepared to practically live at the school because you're expected to put in endless hours.

message 44: by Weeably (new)

Weeably | 4 comments I started with anime in 1997, but didn't pick up my first Jump until 2005. All those wasted years...