Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is where you can introduce yourself.

I'm Wednesday. I originally created Shoujo Manga Book Club, but recently noticed there are no groups focused on shounen manga. So, I decided to create the first and only Shounen Manga Book Club.

I'll admit I read more shoujo than shounen, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy shounen or don't want to read shounen. In fact, that's part of why I created this group. I want to read more shounen series and broaden my genres.

My ultimate goal is to expand the manga community on Goodreads. It deserves just as much recognition as any other community here.

message 2: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 389 comments Mod
Hi! I'm Selena. I read a lot of whatever suits my taste. The difference between shoujo and shounen can be minute sometimes (heck, sometimes it comes right down to the magazine it's published in!) that I don't pay very much attention to that.

So! I love manga, I love reading, and I love learning about series I haven't read and tell others about series I have.

Nice to meet you all! Though, I suspect I'll see many familiar faces.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Selena wrote: "Though, I suspect I'll see many familiar faces."

No doubt you will. Hopefully we'll get a bunch of fresh blood here soon enough!

Hey there! I'm Shoujo Manga Book Club's co-mod. I moderate Webcomic Wonderland as well. I haven't read as much shounen as I have other genres, but I liked what I have read so far. My favorites are probably Bakuman and Death Note. I look forward to reading new series and meeting new people!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

That's part of why I created this group; In order to help myself and others discover new genres and books/series. Plus, there are no other shounen groups on Goodreads. There are some shounen-ai and yaoi groups, but no shounen.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments It's weird to me that there aren't any other shounen group. I know there are other shoujo groups...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess people who liked shounen didn't want to start a group. But it's good to have a balance.

Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} | 2 comments Hello!!! Thanks for the invite :) I think having a shounen group is a great idea! Definitely good for balancing.
I read more shoujo than Shounen, but it's not like I don't like it lol, if it's interesting and catches my attention I'll read it!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

That's pretty much how I am. It just happens that more shoujo has been catching my attention.

message 10: by Hannah (last edited Mar 11, 2013 09:16PM) (new)

Hannah (faize) Thanks for making a shounen manga group, Wednesday! This is gonna be cool:)

I'm Hannah; my username is Faize, but you can call me either. I got into manga after joining Wednesday's Shoujo Manga Book Club, and ever since then I've been addicted and can't stop reading them!:D

My favorite animes are Ouran High School Host Club, Kuroshitsuji, Elfen Lied, Angel Beats!, and Sgt. Frog. My favorite mangas are Yotsuba&!, OHSHC, Death Note, Fruits Basket, Sand Chronicles, and Lovely Complex. But I'm fairly new to anime/manga (only been into it for maybe 6 months), so I've still got a lot more to explore!:D

Oh, and my favorite mangaka is Kiyohiko Azuma--that brilliant, brilliant man:P

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope by having a Shounen group you can find even more great manga and anime now!

message 12: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 114 comments Hi I'm Nekokit!!

I absolutely love manga, love reading, love drawing and love anything to do with Kawaii.
I haven't read any Shounen Manga before, so I'm really excited to start reading some! ☺
My favorite genres of manga are romance,comedy and slice of life.

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments Hello everyone. Looks like a lot of familiar faces :) Thanks for the invite.

I am Jamie. I read mostly shojo manga, but there are a few shounen series I am looking forward to reading. I am also surprised that there is not already a group for shounen. I am sure it will be a fun group like the shojo manga group:)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It is odd, considering all that anybody ever talks about is shounen series, yet somehow there are more shoujo groups here.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 23, 2014 02:35PM) (new)

Hello, I am Ice Ten ten...that's tue Jamie

I certainly read lot of Shojo and Shounen. It's pretty neat you choose Edward for group picture, I believe first I read ever that Shounen when I starting high school ^^

I like to draw favourite characters and mostly getting abstract drawings now

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Hi, I'm Serene. =) Wow, looks like I'm the minority when it comes to my shonen history. The vast, vast majority of the manga I read is shonen. On a per volume basis, it's over 50% of what I read, and that's not counting the 60+ volumes of One Piece. I've been trying to diversify what I read, but it's hard to turn away from the type of manga that got me into the fandom.

message 17: by Selena (new)

Serene wrote: "Hi, I'm Serene. =) Wow, looks like I'm the minority when it comes to my shonen history. The vast, vast majority of the manga I read is shonen. On a per volume basis, it's over 50% of what I read, a..."

Is your picture from Baccano? *is currently watching this in Anime Club*

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Yep, it's Firo .... I'm not even going to try to spell his last name. I'd mess it up too bad. That anime is ridiculously entertaining. How are you liking it?

message 19: by Selena (new)

Serene wrote: "Yep, it's Firo .... I'm not even going to try to spell his last name. I'd mess it up too bad. That anime is ridiculously entertaining. How are you liking it?"

Firo Prochainezo. *totally just googled it*

I'm loving it. XD Especially the Isaac and Miria comedy duo. I also love Jacuzzi and Nice.

message 20: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments I tried watching Baccano on Netflix a while ago. It was in English, though and I just couldn't do it. It looks really cool, though.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Selena wrote: "I'm loving it. XD Especially the Isaac and Miria comedy duo. I also love Jacuzzi and Nice."

Oh yes, I just love Issac and Miria! Just seeing them makes me smile.

Kristen wrote: "I tried watching Baccano on Netflix a while ago. It was in English, though and I just couldn't do it. It looks really cool, though."

Are you a sub only fan? If so, the sub is now available on Funimation's site. I'm a whatever's-available fan, but Baccano one of the only anime I need to watch dubbed. I think it's because of the setting. Watching something in Japanese that takes place in Japan doesn't really bother me, but watching something that takes place in a English speaking area in a different language does.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Serene wrote: "Hi, I'm Serene. =) Wow, looks like I'm the minority when it comes to my shonen history. The vast, vast majority of the manga I read is shonen. On a per volume basis, it's over 50% of what I read, a..."

Welcome, Serene! Shounen actually got me into anime and manga, seeing as I started with InuYasha and Naruto, but I soon fell in love with shoujo.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Serene wrote: "Are you a sub only fan? If so, the sub is now available on Funimation's site. I'm a whatever's-available fan, but Baccano one of the only anime I need to watch dubbed. I think it's because of the setting. Watching something in Japanese that takes place in Japan doesn't really bother me, but watching something that takes place in a English speaking area in a different language does."

I prefer subs. I think that English sounds weird in anime most of the time. It's just a personal preference. Thanks for the tip! I'll take a look at it.

message 24: by Mike (new)

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Hi, I'm Mike. :) Thanks for creating this group Wednesday! the Shoujo one is a lot of fun and it's nice to have the focus widen.

I've read a ton of manga and a lot of Shounen. My favorites are Cross Game, Claymore and Kindaichi Case Files. Expanding to Seinen, Drops of God and Monster are also fantastic.

message 25: by Aurora (new)

Aurora @serene
well, I used to only read shonen (which is how I got into manga) but for the past year, I've been neglecting my shonen reading for shojo. hopefully, that'll change now :D looking forward to it.

message 26: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 45 comments I am Harshini! And I am so happy Wenesday decided to make this club, I read more shounen that Shoujo, but I love manga in general

message 27: by Lu (new)

Lu Hi i'm Lu! So excited to be here and to read some more Manga :)

message 28: by Keely (new)

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 17 comments Hello :)
Im Keely. I only recently started reading manga but I have been watching anime for years. I look forward to meeting new people and finding out about manga I haven't heard of or dont know much about. ^_^

message 29: by Ally (new)

Ally Hi I'm Ally. I've only recently been introduced to the world of manga (and anime). So far I have only read a couple volumes of Fairy Tail, but I really love it and want to read more :)

message 30: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 15 comments Hi all, I'm Lit Bug from India. I came to this group particularly because I am researching feminist cyberpunk for my doctorate and realized I'd also need to look at manga and anime closely and since none of the groups I was a member of seemed to know much about it, I began to search for groups reading such stuff to see if I can find something here.

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 111 comments I'm Iesha nice to meet everyone-finally found this group-so happy.

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Lit Bug wrote: "Hi all, I'm Lit Bug from India. I came to this group particularly because I am researching feminist cyberpunk for my doctorate and realized I'd also need to look at manga and anime closely and sinc..."

Wow, what an interesting topic. I don't read or watch too much science fiction personally, but I know Ghost in the Shell is one of the most popular cyberpunk anime. Psycho-Pass got a lot of buzz as well and just finished airing. Both have female lead characters, so they might be worth checking out.

Iesha, welcome to the group!

message 33: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 15 comments Thanks Serene - was familiar with the name Ghost in the Shell - but not Psycho-Pass. Will check them both out!

message 34: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 15 comments Hello. I'm Cindy. I have read a lot of shonen manga. Kind of have not lately. This will be a fun group to be a part of I think. Some favorite titles are: Eyeshield 21, Black Cat, and Gintama.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello!
My name is Krissy and I'm addicted to manga. I have actually made a goal to collect every single Naruto Manga novel. Yeah, it's insane I know, but I'm ordering the first one in two days and I'm pumped. My favourite manga series is Stepping on Roses although I haven't really explored Manga properly, infact, I think that's the only series I've been able to afford to finish, for my birthday I'm getting a complete Death Note box set though and I am REALLY excited about that, I look forward to meeting new people are just chatting about the things I've read :D

message 36: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Welcome Cindy and Krissy!

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Welcome to the group both of you! Your goal may seem impossible now, Krissy, but if you steadily keep collecting you'll eventually own the whole thing. :)

message 38: by Glitchieyt (new)

Glitchieyt TTV | 9 comments Hello! I'm Ty Crawford, a fellow lover of Anime and Manga. (Don't know what else to say.)

message 39: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Hello Ty!

message 40: by Aina (new)

Aina (computeridol) I'm Aibon Suzuko! I was raised since childhood on Japanese culture due to my mother being adopted into a Japanese family.
I begin with the Japanese fan subs versions of Sailor Moon when I was 7. Loved it. Then went on to discover manga like death note and naruto in shounen jump way before it was popular! I am 21 and I was 11 when I read those so I believe the anime wasn't even made yet.
Anyway, it's been a huge influence on my life as I have a Pokemon and naruto tattoo, as well as 3 sailor moon ones.
I've always been a bit of a geekーI just have a problem with being picky about my anime and manga ):

Hi!

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Welcome, Aibon!

message 42: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 1 comments Hi! Jo here.

I just joined the Shoujo Manga Book Club and naturally came over here to join the Shounen Manga Book club too, since I'm a fan of both genres =)

So happy to have a Manga book club in Goodreads!

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Welcome to the group Jo!

message 44: by Eriel (new)

Eriel (miarainbow) | 112 comments Hi Eriel here,

I love baking, cooking, reading, reading, watching anime, and laughing extremely loudly. My favorite mangas are ( but not limited to) Fairy Tail, Strobe Edge, Inuyasha, and Ouran High School Host Club.
It's great to find a Club with my interests.

Anyways, I'm happy to be here and I'll definitely be reading lots of manga. I'll read most anything so fire away on the recommendations.

message 45: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Hello, Eriel!

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna (AnnaTheHaibane) Hi, Anna here!
I really love reading challenging books, anime (I started with stuff like soul eater and trigun but I also like a good science fiction), manga, and books in general. I was hoping to read more manga, so I joined this book club to get recommendations about things I should read. I'm happy to have joined a manga book club (the very existence of a thing like this is awesome).

message 47: by Eriel (new)

Eriel (miarainbow) | 112 comments I just joined like a month ago, but you'll love the group.
X3

message 48: by Deathbedonbay (new)

Deathbedonbay | 6 comments hi there!

hajimemaste (:P)i'm AN otaku (mind you for me being an otaku is equivalent to being the president of uk).
well not much to say since i described myself as an otaku. you might find me here and there around this group doing stuff and thats about it.
p.s the plural for anime and manga is anime and manga not animeS and mangaS

message 49: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Deathbedonbay wrote: "hi there!

hajimemaste (:P)i'm AN otaku (mind you for me being an otaku is equivalent to being the president of uk).
well not much to say since i described myself as an otaku. you might find me her..."

Hello, hello! Welcome to the group!

message 50: by Deathbedonbay (new)

Deathbedonbay | 6 comments Kristen wrote: "Deathbedonbay wrote: "hi there!

well not much to say since i described myself as an otaku...."

thank you

« previous 1 3