Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Resources > Cleaning Up Manga

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sure you've all noticed that the manga within the database is a nightmare. There have been attempts to clean it up, but it's a daunting task and it seems people tend to lose motivation or go about it the wrong way.

I have posted in the Librarians group requesting help, and am also requesting your help. If you are a librarian, you can help us make changes. However, if you aren't, you can post books here that need help and a librarian (like Kristen or myself) can take care of it.

So, first let us know whether or not you're a librarian. If you are, let us know which book(s) you've fixed and what you fixed. If you're not a librarian, post the book so that it can be fixed and let us know what the problem is.

My goal in doing this is that we can make the manga community on Goodreads a better, friendlier place.

message 2: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2025 comments Mod
Actually, this one's my fault...

There are two separate entires for "Skip Beat! Vol. 3"

Skip Beat!, Vol. 3 by Yoshiki Nakamura Skip Beat!, Vol. 3 by Yoshiki Nakamura

The second was the hard-cover edition, which wasn't listed at the time under the other editions. I had a specific gripe about the hard-cover, so I added it. ...It didn't add as an edition of the original entry like I thought it would.

Also these are all in a series, but don't have the series parentheses thing next to them (the one that links to the rest of the series).

Young Miss Holmes, Casebook 1-2 by Kaoru Shintani Young Miss Holmes Casebook 3-4 by Kaoru Shintani Young Miss Holmes Casebook 5-7 by Kaoru Shintani

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure how to handle edition combines and series combines, so I will refer them to the librarian group.

One thing I've begun to notice is that publication dates for manga are a mess, since there are two publication dates. A lot of times one volume can have both the US (or other country) release and the original Japanese release, and you can really tell how messed up they get if you view pub dates in your book shelves.

The Beauty Pop dates are horrendous. I'm thinking of working on those at some point.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Selena wrote: "Actually, this one's my fault...

There are two separate entires for "Skip Beat! Vol. 3"

Skip Beat!, Vol. 3 by Yoshiki NakamuraSkip Beat!, Vol. 3 by Yoshiki Nakamura

The second was the hard-cover..."

Young Miss Holmes is fixed.

message 5: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments This reminds me..
I actually mentioned it before on the mangas page but I'm not sure whether that was the right place to post it..

Someone combired a 'somedays dreamers: spellbound' to the manga Someday's Dreamers, Volume 1

Someday's dreamers and Someday's dreamers: Spellbound are NOT the same series! 3:
Spellbound is a sequel and has it's own page over here: Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound Volume 1

I don't know how to remove the version from the normal 'somedays dreamers' and move it over the the spellbound series?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I see how it's messed up when I look at the author's books, but I'm unfamiliar with either series, so I'll refer it to the Librarian group.

How many volumes does each series have? Can Spellbound more accurately be described as a spinoff (sort of like Bloodlines is for Vampire Academy)?

message 7: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments I was generally thinking of fixing some of that series infos as it doesn't seem to be all that well known so i figured not many people were gonna do it haha

Someday's dreamers is completed with 2 volumes.

Someday's dreamers Spellbound (or 'Der weg von sonne und wind'in german cause I saw that one was added as well) is completed with 5 volumes.

I think Sequel is the best way to describe spellbound though. It does follow new main characters and the plotlines aren't exactly related apart from the fact that they take place in the same world and the same magical system. It does clearly show that it plays after 'somedays dreamers' though because we get to see the 'somedays dreamers' maincharacter at the end of the Spellbound series where we get a small insite of whats become of her.

There is another spinoff "Someday's Dreamers - Summer Skies" which I am not familiar with though. But I could still add the bits I know of it. I think it would be best to wait until the other two are fixed though?

Anyway I appriciate that this is being looked into!
I think Someday's dreamers is a very underrated series because most people don't even seem to be aware of the difference or existance of the sequel :(

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, thanks. I will post in the Librarian group to get it fixed.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently working on the Japanese editions of Negima. They are missing covers and other little things.

message 10: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Hi. I just cleaned up the three volumes of The Prince, the Witch and the Princesses. They were missing covers as well as title consistency. I used Junketsu + Kareshi as the model. I hope I did it right but it definitely is a significant improvement.

message 11: by Jean (last edited Mar 14, 2013 07:08PM) (new)

Jean (otakumom) I started to fixed the No. 6 manga series which needed to be recognized as its own series. I followed the Soulless manga listing as my guide.

I only fixed the titles for the first 3 volumes by adding the word manga into the title and adjusting the sorting title. Then, I created a new series: No. 6 manga and added the three books. Volume 3 omitted the illustrator's name which I corrected.

Now, I need to scan the Japanese covers and enter the original Japanese edition's information. Since the English translations won't be released until June, I have left the rest of the publication data alone for now.

message 12: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments I found another issue: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

The book it's combined with is not the same. They have similar titles (as in if the other were translated too haha)but they are not the same book. They are infact two different stories.

message 13: by Jean (last edited Mar 15, 2013 06:08AM) (new)

Jean (otakumom) Kiwinelle wrote: "I found another issue: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

The book it's combined with is not the same. They have similar titles (as in if the other were translated too haha)bu..."

I've separated them. all fixed.

message 14: by Jean (last edited Mar 15, 2013 06:55AM) (new)

Jean (otakumom) I did some more research with regards to the Gothic books. I've updated them by adding and combining the Japanese version with the Gothic (german) versions.

I'm not sure if they are really a series though. The research I did doesn't seem to indicate that they are a series though they have very similar themes but different stories as you said in your posting. The Japanese titles are totally different from the adopted titles for the German market. So without any conclusive information from my reliable sources, I didn't create a series entry for them.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Wednesday wrote: "I'm currently working on the Japanese editions of Negima. They are missing covers and other little things."

I didn't realize this would be as big of a task as it is. Apparently only volumes 1-5 really had Japanese editions. I'm going to have add all of them now.

message 16: by Flareen (last edited Mar 15, 2013 07:33AM) (new)

Flareen | 81 comments Jean wrote: "Kiwinelle wrote: "I found another issue: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

The book it's combined with is not the same. They have similar titles (as in if the other were tran..."

Thanks! :3
I'll combine it with the actual same edition then!

Edit: nvm seems you've already done that haha

message 17: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) I started working on Brave 10 series. It's quite a mess.

message 18: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Kiwinelle wrote: "Jean wrote: "Kiwinelle wrote: "I found another issue: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

The book it's combined with is not the same. They have similar titles (as in if the ot..."

;)

message 19: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) I also fixed Teppen! and added the second volume.

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 18, 2013 09:28PM) (new)

I just had The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko, Volume 1 fixed by a librarian. This series was a major mess. Now the first series and the sequel are quite nice looking and complete.

message 21: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments Demon Diary, Volume 01

Demon Diary is not shounen-ai... least of all yaoi. 3:<
I've often seen discussions on boards whether it is or not after someone had changed settings to it being so.
It has been changed to not shounen-ai at every turn I've seen so far.

It is true that the two leading male characters are very close but it's pretty much left open to interpret it as friendship or more in which ever way you like. 3: But there is no specific shounen-ai elements or actual "love" for that matter.

message 22: by Selena (new)

There seems to be some confusion with the Shugo Chara! Series. Volumes 1,2,3 are included under the "Shugo Chara-chan!" series. It shows up under "Shugo Chara!" if you look at that series list, but from the book's page it takes you to the spin off series.

message 23: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments Tokyo Mew Mew 8, 9 and 10 don't exist. My guess is that someone was thinking about the sequel when adding these. 3:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23...

message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments That is very strange. I can't find any summaries or pictures of these, but they have ISBN numbers. If these books don't exist where did the ISBN numbers come from? How did people rate them? Anyone know what's going on here?

message 25: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments Well people can post anything they want, can't they?
The same happend to Kamichama Karin actually. They posted an 8th volume which doesn't exist. The only thing i can imagine to make them even add that is that they are confusing it with the sequel which is volume one and not 8.
Same goes for Tokyo Mew Mew? People thinking volume 8 is refering to the sequel volume 1?

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I'm just wondering where they got the ISBN number from. When you do a search for it, they do come up. There's just no information about them and no reliable sources. I'm just curious. I'm going to bring these up in the Goodreads Librarian Group. I can delete stuff, but I'd feel more comfortable doing so if another librarian agreed that these need deleting.

message 27: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments Perhaps they are the isbn of the sequels as well?
I'm not too familiar with isbn numbers but I know for sure that those books don't exist. 3:

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Well, the librarians know about the issue, though they agree with me that it's weird. I'm sure someone will have it sorted out soon.

message 29: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments Well thanks for looking into it :3

message 30: by Selena (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

For whatever reason, these aren't linked together in a series...

message 31: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Selena wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

For whatever reason, these aren't linked together in a series..."

Done!

message 32: by Selena (new)

Jean wrote: "Selena wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

For whatever reason, these aren't linked together in a series..."

Done!"

Yay! Thank you. :)

message 33: by Selena (new)

HeroMan volume 1, HeroMan volume 2, HeroMan, volume 3, HeroMan, volume 4 are a series, but there doesn't seem to be a series page for them.

(there might be more of this series. I'm not sure how many volumes this runs.)

message 34: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Consider it done. I've created a series page and added 1 - 5 to the list.

Let me know if anything is amiss.

Thanks.

message 35: by Selena (new)

For some reason, Amazing Agent Luna Omnibus 3 is not included in the Amazing Agent Luna series (http://www.goodreads.com/series/58535...). Omnibus 3 includes volume 6 and 7.

message 36: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Fixed!

message 37: by Selena (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

These should be linked as a series.

message 38: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Selena wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

These should be linked as a series."

Done!

message 39: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments I am a Librarian as well. Let me know if you need help fixing anything. I have been working on manga series. It is a bothers me to not have books that are in a series grouped together so I am trying to fix it. But I am willing to help with anything.

message 40: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I've tried to make a habit of checking anything I check out from the library on Goodreads. There are quite a lot of little mistakes that you might not notice if you were not looking for them: books not being marked as a series, misspelled author names, confusing descriptions, wrong page numbers. Any help from librarians and to fix up the manga on Goodreads is greatly appreciated. Anyone who sees something wrong is also encouraged to let us or another librarian know so that Goodreads can have the best possible information for manga readers.

message 41: by Selena (new)

Pandora Hearts, Vol. 18, Pandora Hearts 18, and PandoraHearts, Vol. 18 are all the same book but they seem to be listed separately.

message 42: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments Selena wrote: "Pandora Hearts, Vol. 18, Pandora Hearts 18, and PandoraHearts, Vol. 18 are all the same book but they seem to be listed separately."

I have combined these books.

message 43: by Hardian (last edited Oct 13, 2013 06:35AM) (new)

Hardian | 21 comments Hello, would be nice if someone can add the anglicized name of the author of Golondrina -ゴロンドリーナ- 1 --- est em.

And Golondrina -ゴロンドリーナ- 1, Golondrina -ゴロンドリーナ- 2, and Golondrina -ゴロンドリーナ- 3 are a series.

Thanks.

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I added them all into a series, but I have no idea how to do the author thing. If no one else responds, I'll either look up how to do it in the librarian manual or as the Librarian group to do it.

message 45: by Selena (new)

Yotsuba Vol. 12 and よつばと! 12 are listed separately.

message 46: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Selena wrote: "Yotsuba Vol. 12 and よつばと! 12 are listed separately."

I think I fixed it. I've never combined editions before, so I hope I did it right. If it's still wrong tomorrow, let me know.

message 47: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Hardian wrote: "Hello, would be nice if someone can add the anglicized name of the author of Golondrina -ゴロンドリーナ- 1 --- est em.

And Golondrina -ゴロンドリーナ- 1, Golondrina -ゴロンドリーナ- 2, and Golondrina -ゴロンドリーナ- 3 are a..."

The author thing is fixed now.

message 48: by Hardian (last edited Oct 20, 2013 08:34AM) (new)

Hardian | 21 comments Thank you, Kristen :)

Anyway. I wish someone can add cover image for these two manga:
関根くんの恋 1 cover link: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...

and

関根くんの恋 2 cover link: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...

Also actually, on those two manga, each has another edition which actually does not exist. The ones which title is written in alphabet has no ISBN number anyway. The only edition of those two manga is the Japanese edition.
They were initially not combined as different edition, I asked in goodreads librarian group to delete/merge the ones with no ISBN as they are duplicates, but they decided to combine them as the other editions. So if someone can delete/merge the duplicate entry, it would be neat.

---

And another adding of the author name, this time is the Japanese/Kanji name for Haruka Kawachi in Sekine's Love
It's 河内 遙

Thank you in advance :)

message 49: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I added the two covers and added the author name. As far as those editions that you want deleted, I'm going to leave those for someone else. I think only super librarians can actually delete books and I'm not familiar with merging. Maybe someone else can change it...

message 50: by Selena (last edited Oct 21, 2013 05:39AM) (new)

Not a manga, but it's a light novel, so...

ソードアート・オンライン1: アインクラッド Sōdo āto onrain 1: Ainkuraddo and Sword Art Online 1: Aincrad are listed separately. I'm pretty sure the one in Japanese is the novel...

« previous 1 3