Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Cleaning Up Manga

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, I’m Wednesday. My friend Kristen and I have wanted to make the manga community on Goodreads friendlier and more inviting. However, the manga within the database is a big mess. The publication dates are all messed up (mostly because of the multiple release dates since manga is first released in Japan then in other countries), many books are missing covers or have the incorrect covers, language editions among series are inconsistent (one volume will be in English, then another in Japanese or German or another language), descriptions are missing, and so much more. We’ve been trying to fix it up, but that’s a lot of work for just two little people . So, we’re asking that librarians who are manga fans join us to fix up the manga within the database and make Goodreads more manga friendly.

message 2: by Cait (last edited Mar 11, 2013 06:38PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Hi, Wednesday & Kristen! There are a lot of librarians who work on manga already. If you're looking for assistance with specific series or authors, you can always start a thread and ask people to chip in. You can also always ask if you're having trouble getting covers from acceptable sources, need to find publication information for different publishers, or just want to get another librarian to double-check anything.

"language editions among series are inconsistent (one volume will be in English, then another in Japanese or German or another language)"

This is unfortunately just a feature of series; the edition which shows is always the one which is the most popular for each book, so if different parts of the series trend popular in different languages then you'll see that on the series page.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This is unfortunately just a feature of series; the edition which shows is always the one which is the most popular for each book, so if different parts of the series trend popular in different languages then you'll see that on the series page.

I didn't know that was why that happened. But it's really annoying because a lot of times different editions will have different covers and it looks so inconsistent.

message 4: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments The following thread has a list of Japanese manga publishers. There sites are good sources of cvers, publication dates, etc.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

As soon as I'm approved as a librarian I'll start helping with the manga section too. I'm still getting used to the website though. If you need any help with Japanese I know a little.

Starting a manga thread sounds like a great idea. Just tell me where it's at. Thanks!

Ponytaorponyboy | 145 comments Oh dear! That's a GREAT idea! I'd never thought about it before! I'm librarian now! I shall help out as well if possible :D