Strangers and Aliens Book Club discussion

New Books This Month . . . Prince Caspian and Dawn Treader

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5 comments Ha! The first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was, "Oh, like the BBC version, then?" :)

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul | 16 comments Never was a fan of Prince Caspian. It is a fine book and all but it just never had the same appeal as others in the series. Dawn Treader on the other hand is my favorite mostly because Lewis seems to really let his creativity show in the places the group visits throughout the journey. Not to mention the imagery of Eustace shedding his dragon skin is powerful. Reepicheep is my favorite character out of all of Narnia.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5 comments I actually like Prince Caspian a bit better than VoDT. While not as good as LWW, PC opened up the world of the story in new and exciting ways when we realized that centuries could pass in between the kids' visits.

VoDT is great, too, but it's a bit more episodic, with less of a driving force behind the story. It's the only one I put down and forgot about for several months during reading it. I've since grown to love it, though.

message 4: by Paul (last edited Mar 19, 2013 05:03PM) (new)

Paul | 16 comments Just finished Prince Caspian again. I was struck by how much I had forgotten even having read it only a couple of years ago. The battle at the end always reminds me of Helm's Deep with the trees getting the victory. I don't know if one inspired the other or that Tolkien and Lewis came up with that themselves or were inspired by something else but they leave little doubt that I don't want to be at the wrong end of a battle with trees. Having read 1984 for the first time just before this book I found some interesting similarities, namely near the end the pig boys talking of turning their teacher in to the authorities for talking to Azlan reminded me of the Junior Spies turning adults in for supposed thought-crime and the Telmarine's attempt at re-writting history to suit their ends was very Big Brother-ish. With 1984 being published in 1949 (Wow!) and Prince Caspian in 1951 its likely the inspiration was the Soviets who were doing this very thing during those same time periods in regards to historical revisionism (an interesting read on Wikipedia by the way). My biggest dislike is the opening of the book with the children finding their way into Narnia again before being taken on a Chapters long flash back that doesn't end till nearly half way through the book then picks back up with a long and mostly dull hike through the woods. All in all Caspian is still not one of my favorites but it may be growing on me, reepicheep almost saves it but not quite. It's not nearly as bad as the Silver Chair though. "I thought I heard someone laughing just now. If anyone present wishes to make me the subject of his wit, I am very much at his service—with my sword—whenever he has leisure."

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul | 16 comments Dawn Treader done. Amazing book again. "While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise and Peepiceek will be head of the talking mice in Narnia."

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5 comments Yeah, that's great stuff.

I really like SC, though. Probably my third favorite, after LWW and MN. :)