Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > New Pope A-Coming

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
The cardinals are headed into their secret conclave to pick the next Papa. Do you care, or is the Vatican a big snoozefest for you? Do you have a favorite candidate? Does the appearance of the white smoke send a frisson up your ankle?

Me, I feel like the whole thing is trapped in another century. It's hard to think of another institution as un-current as the Vatican. I can't get interested in 21st century Popes.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Not really interested, I probably should be, but I am not.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It does nothing for me. I have little hope that there will be any significant reforms. Not that I really care all that much.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I would like to see the Catholic Church become more progressive, seriously address its sex abuse problem, and admit women to the priesthood. But at the same time, not being Catholic, the reform of the Church isn't important to me. (Aside from the criminality of the sex abuse which is vitally important.)

message 5: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments So the smoke has cleared (looks like an Angel concert circa 1976) and the new vicar dude in white is about to be announced?

My money's on Tom Izzo, but say it's Iggy Pop.... you know that robe's comin' off... and quick!

P.S. The Papal Twitter account has been activated!!

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Dr. Detroit wrote: "So the smoke has cleared (looks like an Angel concert circa 1976) and the new vicar dude in white is about to be announced?

My money's on Tom Izzo, but say it's Iggy Pop.... you know that robe's c..."

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ^^^ and THAT kind of comment is why i like clark

message 8: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Kevin wrote: "^^^ and THAT kind of comment is why i like clark"

Where the hell you been?

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Well, he is old, but no Iggy Pop.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Picturing the Pope having Iggy Pop abs under his robes.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Picturing the Pope with Iggy Pop abs and gyrating.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments I'm glad there's a new pope. Now we can stop hearing so much about pope this, and pope that.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

The first Jesuit pope!

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Pope this an pope that.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

And already the typos have started. It's Bergoglio, not Bergolgio, journalists.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Topo Gigio

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments clark! see you got you some bush in DET. you guys have actually done some smart things in the FA market.

where have i been? mostly skimming these threads occasionally with nothing really to add. about like i just did here

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7085 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "The first Jesuit pope!"

Yes. I attend a mostly college student parish in Ames, Ia. I am SO ready for the kind influence of the Jesuit teachings on the Vatican. The care of and for the poor is one of the main reasons I am Catholic. Fancy red designer shoes do not mean humble to me.

Loved the story about the Italian press lobbying for one of their own for pope. They actually congratulated their pick for getting the job. Oops. Sorry, dudes. You've only had an Italian pope the last twenty gazillion times.

message 19: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Kevin wrote: "clark! see you got you some bush in DET. you guys have actually done some smart things in the FA market.

where have i been? mostly skimming these threads occasionally with nothing really to add. a..."

Yep, the Lions made a few moves but I'm thinking they're headed for a .500 season at best, my friend, complete with another national embarrassment on Thanksgiving Day no matter whom they're playing. That's just the way it is...

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments Maybe the city manager will take care of that.

message 21: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Susan wrote: "Picturing the Pope with Iggy Pop abs and gyrating."

Be afraid. Very afraid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CxyDX...

message 22: by Susan (last edited Mar 15, 2013 11:54AM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I have only watched half of it but I find myself both oddly fascinated and disturbed.

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7085 comments Oh man, Iggy is messed up and bleeding. Sad.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I can't see this thread title without adding "hide your heart, girl."

message 25: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I love it when my friends post crazy conversations with their kids. Kids are THE BEST, so funny. Anyway, this is what my neighbor's daughter had to say about The Pope:

Avery: Did you know that Franciscan Montessori was named after St Francis of Assisi?
Me: I did. Did you know the new pope chose to name himself Pope Francis I after St. Francis?
Avery: Yes. He's from Argentina.
Zola: When I'm pope, I am going to name myself Pope Thunder.
Avery: When I'm pope, I am going to name myself Pope Jesus....no, Pope Hercules.
Me: Well, I hate to break it to you but girls can't be popes.
Avery: Why not?
Me: Catholic Church rules. No women get to be church leaders since the beginning of the church, unless you count nuns but they can't be Pope.
Avery: OK, that doesn't make any sense. Well, when they change the rules, I am going to be Pope Hercules...because I am really strong.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i started following the pope on twitter. can you believe i just said that?

message 27: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) No.

message 28: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) And, that whole twitter thing calling it "following" is a little creepy.

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7085 comments I have a Twitter account. When a tweet is past tense is it called a Twat?

message 30: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4259 comments Hee!

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments ::snort::

message 32: by Sarah (last edited Apr 17, 2013 08:31AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Have I mentioned that every time I see the title of this thread I follow it with "hide your heart, girl?"

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "Have I mentioned that every time I see the title of this thread I follow it with "hide your heart, girl?""

Yes, on March 18th you expressed the same sentiment.

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Kevin wrote: "i started following the pope on twitter. can you believe i just said that?"

Yes. But if you had capitalized your I's, I would have thought it was an imposter.

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Baha!

Sarah Pi.

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments When I post on here with my iPhone it does use upper case appropriately and I guess I could correct ( or uncorrect it as it were) but I'm usually doing this while driving, paying a toll, eating a chalupa and doing the hand jive simultaneously so I better just let it be.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I know you are not texting and driving. That has been illegal in Indiana since July 2011.

message 38: by Susan (last edited Apr 17, 2013 08:02PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Who posted #36?

message 39: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Heh.

message 40: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Kevin's a rebel like that. Haven't you seen him on his hog, LG?

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I have seen him deep fry a turkey, which is as rebellious as anything I've ever heard of.

message 42: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Deep fried turkey is awesome!

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments That is what we use to have for Thanksgiving when I was a kid.