Young Adult Historical Fiction discussion

Book/Author Discussions > Favourite Books!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhaine (new)

Rhaine | 200 comments Mod
What are your favourite ya historical fiction books? Do you have one or several?

message 2: by Zaryna (new)

Zaryna (zaryna23) I just finished reading Citadel by Kate Mosse and i honestly have to say it is one of the best book ive ever read. There are three books in the Trilogy starting with Labyrinth and you have to read them!
You wont regret it, trust me!
:)
- Ellise

message 3: by Elinor (last edited Apr 19, 2013 08:29AM) (new)

Elinor | 26 comments I have to say that The Nostradamus Prophecy is one of my favourite YA books.

message 4: by Rhaine (new)

Rhaine | 200 comments Mod
I've never heard of The Nostradamus Prophecy before, but I had a look at it and it looks really interesting. I have read another book by the same author, though. It was called Remembrance and although its been a while since I read it, I remember it being really good.

message 5: by Elinor (last edited Apr 19, 2013 08:27AM) (new)

Elinor | 26 comments I was looking at that book the other day. I have also read another Theresa Brestlin in called Prisoner of the Inquisition. That was also a seriously good book.

message 6: by Tara ♪ (last edited Mar 12, 2014 01:28PM) (new)

Tara ♪ | 106 comments Mod
Some of my favorites are Second Fiddle by Rosanne Parry, Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf, and Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez. I also like books by Ann Rinaldi and Kimberley Brubaker Bradley. They are both fantastic authors.

message 7: by Grace (last edited Sep 18, 2013 02:56PM) (new)

Grace | 7 comments I really enjoyed Someone Named Eva as well. It was interesting to read about an aspect of World War Two I knew nothing about.

message 8: by Tara ♪ (new)

Right. I first read that one in third grade. It was an introduction into historical fiction for me. I reread it at least once a year, sometimes more. Now that I'm older, it means a lot more to me. So far, it's the only book I've read about Lidice.

message 9: by Rima (new)

Rima Jean (thefictionchick) | 3 comments These may make me sound old, but they completely shaped the way I write: The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare, Mara Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi, and Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith.

Anyone else like the old school stuff?

message 10: by Tara ♪ (new)

I like many of those, too. :)

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Newton (kathlikestolaugh) | 20 comments ♪ Tara ♪ wrote: "My favorites are "Second Fiddle" by Rosanne Parry, "Someone Named Eva" by Joan M. Wolf, and "Before We Were Free" by Julia Alvarez. I also like books by Ann Rinaldi and Kimberley Brubaker Bradley. ..."

I work in a bookstore and we had an event with Rosanne Parry! I'll have to read "Second Fiddle"

message 12: by Tara ♪ (new)

It's really good. Some people may not consider it HF because it's set just after the fall of the Berlin wall, but I think that since it's written in the spirit of historical fiction that it should qualify. Does that make any sense?

message 13: by emily (last edited Oct 28, 2018 01:12AM) (new)

emily (emdk) Hey, I've probably commented this everywhere, but I absolutley love Mackenzi Lee's 'The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue'. I totally recommend it, it's a wonderful tale of all that you could possibly need. A joyus gay love story of Monty and Percy trecking through the Continent with Monty's sister Felicity: a corageous young woman interested in MEDICINE OKAY PLEASE READ IT THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I think it's perfect, perfect YA.

message 14: by emily (new)

emily (emdk) Ellie wrote: "I was looking at that book the other day. I have also read another Theresa Brestlin in called Prisoner of the Inquisition. That was also a seriously good book."

Hey this looks amazing, I'm so interested in reading it! Thanks for the recomendation :)

message 15: by Selah (new)

Selah (maidenselah) | 2 comments Hello, all! Is this an official ghost town yet? XD
Who has read the book, "A Woman of No Importance"? I've been researching Virginia Hall as she's a MC in a book I'm working on, and recently saw that that book came out. So cool! Has anyone read it, and if so what did you think of it?

message 16: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 14 comments I'm not familiar with that book but the title sounds intriguing!