Literary Disco discussion

Books you reread every year?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (staticpen) After listening to the podcast (newbie here!), I thought about the books I've read over the years, and I noticed that some I read every year or try to. Some are obvious like The Great Gatsby or East of Eden but some modern ones as well like Middlesex. As I've gotten older I've noticed I don't do it as much and there's maybe a few that I will reread (usually in audiobook form). Those few are the few that bring back the nostalgia of that first read: Dune and The Stand (and might as well throw in Tolkien).

Are there any books that you go out of your way to read yearly and why? Is there memories tied to that particular book or is it carrying on a tradition that you began because you loved the story so much?

message 2: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Camacho (ambidextrous_crafter) For me, that would be listening to the audiobook of Pride & Prejudice.

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric | 30 comments Watchmen, Huckleberry Finn, The Sun Also Rises, and The Stand are my go-to comfort re-reads.

message 4: by Marcella (new)

Marcella | 1 comments Spring- Secret Garden. Summer- Treasure Island (Robert Louis Stevenson). Fall- Harry Potter series. Halloween- IT. Christmas- A Christmas Carol.

message 5: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiatab) I revisit The Time Travelers Wife every summer. However, this year I am putting it down to revisit The Great Gatsby, The Catcher in the Rye and maybe even Lord of the Flies

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 7 comments All of Jane Austen's novels, Jane Eyre, P.G. Wodehouse are my comfort reads.

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 30 comments Melissa wrote: "All of Jane Austen's novels, Jane Eyre, P.G. Wodehouse are my comfort reads."

Do you have any books by Jane Eyre?

message 8: by Nora (new)

Nora Simon | 2 comments Harry Potter, Alice in wonderland and Peter pan

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorioz) Don't judge me but I could reread most of Maeve Binchy's books! Love them!

Also anything by Jane Austen...

message 10: by Ashlie (new)

Ashlie (ardaigle) | 2 comments The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore is my Christmas tradition. Irreverent and violent it's exactly the escape I need from holiday stress.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie | 1 comments Around Christmas I reread Peter Pan, and I read Pride and Prejudice every other year, choosing one of Austen's other works to read in between.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina | 2 comments My annual rereads are for Christmas: Let It Snow by E.Lockhart, John Green, & Lauren Myracle, and Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan.

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele Peterson (MichelePeterson) | 1 comments Lord of the Rings.

message 14: by Allison (last edited Nov 14, 2013 11:49AM) (new)

Allison (thebookwheel) I reread Where the Red Fern Grows every summer. It's pretty much why I have dogs.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 1 comments Willa Cather's Books.

message 16: by KiKi (new)

KiKi Johnson (kikijohnson) | 7 comments I reread Pilgrim of Tinker Creek every year. I also reread The Iliad, The Great Gatsby, A Moveable Feast, Moby Dick, and On The Road most years.

message 17: by Nivetha (new)

Nivetha (nivetha44) | 2 comments Everything that JD Salinger's ever written, but mostly Franny and Zooey.

message 18: by Alysyn (new)

Alysyn Reinhardt (alysyn_hardt) | 1 comments I had a professor who said she'd read Leaves of Grass every year around springtime, so I've kind of followed that tradition.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma | 1 comments I always reread a harry potter novel during the summer, but Invisible Monsters is my yearly re-read.

message 20: by Dan (new)

Dan (danlopez) | 3 comments One book I always come back to is Prater Violet by Christopher Isherwood. It's a slim study in foreshadowing. The story is ostensibly about the filming of a rather banal British rom-com, but the whole mood is haunted by the lead-up to WWII. Isherwood could be uneven but when he was good he was unbelievably good.

message 21: by Alice (new)

Alice (alice_aml) | 1 comments Dan wrote: "One book I always come back to is Prater Violet by Christopher Isherwood. It's a slim study in foreshadowing. The story is ostensibly about the filming of a rather banal British rom-co..."
This is uncanny Dan, I was on the Goodreads page about Prater Violet when I clicked on my notifications and was sent to your message. The universe is telling me to read this book so I will do just that very soon!

I reread Le Misanthrope all the time, and one Harry Potter book every Christmas.

message 22: by Dan (new)

Dan (danlopez) | 3 comments That's so awesome! I hope you love it. It's my favorite book.