YA Bookaholics discussion

Archives > 500 Book Quotes

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Jessica  (stuckinotherworlds) | 858 comments Mod
Here you can post your favourite quotes.

message 2: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

“Jace?"
"Yeah?"
"How did you know I had Shadowhunter blood? Was there some way you could tell?"
The elevator arrived with a final groan. Jace unlatched the gate and slid it open. The inside reminded Clary of a birdcage, all black metal and decorative bits of gilt. "I guessed," he said, latching the door behind them. "It seemed like the most likely explanation."
"You guessed? You must have been pretty sure, considering you could have killed me."
He pressed a button in the wall, and the elevator lurched into action with a vibrating groan that she felt all through the bones in her feet. "I was ninety percent sure."
"I see," Clary said.
There must have been something in her voice, because he turned to look at her. Her hand cracked across his face, a slap that rocked him back on his heels. He put a hand to his cheek, more in surprise than pain. "What the hell was that for?"
The other ten percent," she said, and they rode the rest of the way down to the street in silence.”
― Cassandra Clare, City of Bones

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I LOVE that part. :)

"I wondered how long it had taken his mom to think of that. Bob? No. Sam? No. How about Face of Horror?
-Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid.

message 4: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Need to read that.

“His beauty did not blaze like Will's did in fierce colors and repressed fire, but it had its own muted perfection, the loveliness of snow falling against a silver gray sky.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) "You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you 'chicken man'?"
-Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid

message 6: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Hehe!

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?”
“If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”
-Cassandra Clare, City of Bones

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “‘Are you okay?” Aiden asked Deacon.
He nodded slowly. ‘Yeah, I’m great. Nothing like witnessing a death match between gods when I’m trying to get some Cheetos.’”
—Jennifer L. Armentrout, Deity

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “Slowly, I reached over and poked his arm. It felt like real flesh, warm and hard. Disappointed, I poked him again. I was expecting something amazing—celestial—by touching him. Instead all I got were weird looks from everyone in the room, including Apollo.
‘Please stop touching me,’ Apollo said.
I jabbed his arm again. ‘Sorry. It’s just that you’re real. I mean, I just thought you guys weren’t really around here.’
‘Alex.’ Aiden sat on the edge of the bed. ‘You should probably stop touching him.’”
—Jennifer L. Armentrout, Deity

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “There were different kinds of strength. I knew that now. It didn’t always come from a knife or a willingness to fight. Sometimes it came from endurance, where the well ran deep and quiet. Sometimes it came from compassion and forgiveness.”
—Enclave, Ann Aguirre

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “At first, the dragon looked as though it really would climb out after us. Then is noticed the pie. The little crystal creature sniffed at the slice, circled it a few times, and then began gnawing at the pie in teeny-tiny bites. Best of all, the screeching stopped. We watched in wonder as the dragon made its way through a third of the coconut cream pie. Then, without warning, it rolled onto its back and began to snore. Adrian and I sat there, frozen, and then finally dared to look at each other.
“I guess you were right about the flavor,” I said.”
— The Indigo Spell, Richelle Mead

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “When are you going to name the car?” I asked him once we were on the road to Los Angeles.
“It’s an inanimate object,” he said. “Names are for people and pet.”
I patted the Mustang’s dashboard. “Don’t listen to him.”
—The Indigo Spell, Richelle Mead

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “You know,” he said, “under normal circumstances, you inviting me to the bedroom would be the highlight of my day.”
—The Indigo Spell, Richelle Mead

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “Why on earth would you buy a car like this if you can’t drive a stick? There are dozens of cars—new cars—that have automatic transmission. It’d be a million times easier.
Adrian shrugged. “I like the color. It matches my living room.”
—Richelle Mead, The Golden Lily

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like … Like light made into flesh. I said it on Halloween and meant every word: you are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen walking this earth. And you don’t even know it. You have no clue how beautiful you are or how brightly you shine.”
—Richelle Mead, The Golden Lily

. . . and that's why Adrian is so great. :)

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “LOOK!” he half shouted, pointing at the window.
“Yeah,” I said. “Yeah, I see it. It looks like we’re in an airplane.”
“NOTHING HAS EVER LOOKED LIKE THAT EVER IN ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY,” he said. His enthusiasm was adorable. I couldn’t resist leaning over to kiss him on the cheek.
“Just so you know, I’m right here,” Mom said. “Sitting next to you. Your mother. Who held your hand as you took your first infantile steps.”
—John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Augustus Waters is hilarious.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “Headline?” he asked.
“‘Swing Set Needs Home,‘“I said.
“‘Desperately Lonely Swing Set Needs Loving Home,’” he said.
“‘Lonely, Vaguely Pedophilic Swing Set Seeks the Butts of Children,’” I said.
He laughed. “That’s why.”
“What?”
“That’s why I like you. Do you realize how rare it is to come across a hot girl who creates an adjectival version of the word pedophile? You are being so busy being you that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.”

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “We are literally in the heart of Jesus,” he said. “I thought we were in a church basement, but we are literally in the heart of Jesus.”
“Someone should tell Jesus,” I said. “I mean, it’s gotta be dangerous, storing children with cancer in your heart.”
“I would tell Him myself,” Augustus said, “but unfortunately I am literally stuck inside of His heart, so He won’t be able to hear me.”

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) “There is no pretending,” Jace said with absolute clarity. “I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I’ll love you then.”
—Cassandra Clare, City of Glass

message 20: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

“Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?"

"They ate it too," Will reminisced. "Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

Ducks…

message 21: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

“The demon bared its greenish fangs. "This is my true form. An ugly surprise for you, I suppose."
"I daresay it's an improvement," said Will. "You weren't much to look at before, and at least the horns are dramatic.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

message 22: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

“Dead souls dream only of death. Small dreams for small men. It is life that expands to fill worlds. Life is your master, or death is”
― Laini Taylor, Days of Blood & Starlight

message 23: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

“His beauty did not blaze like Will's did in fierce colors and repressed fire, but it had its own muted perfection, the loveliness of snow falling against a silver gray sky.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

message 24: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

“We are chained to this life by a chain of gold, and we dare not sever it for fear of what lies beyond the drop.”
― Cassandra Clare

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

"My love has made me selfish. I'm forgetful of everything-but seeing you again-my life seems to stop there, I see no further."

Letters of John Keats to Fanny Brown by John Keats.

message 26: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Aww.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

"We look before and after,
And pine for what is not:
Our sincerest laughter
With some pain is fraught;
Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought."

To a Skylark- P.B. Shelly

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

"The ninth circle of hell is cold." Tessa Gray, Clockwork Angel, Cassandra Clare

I have no idea why I like this one so much

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

“Leo lowered his screwdriver. He looked at the ceiling and shook his head like, What am I gonna do with this guy?
"I try very hard to be annoying," Leo said. "Don't insult my ability to annoy. And how am I supposed to resent you if you go apologizing? I'm a lowly mechanic. You're like the prince of the sky, son of the Lord of the Universe. I'm supposed to resent you."
"Lord of the Universe?" (Jason)
"Sure, you're all-bam! Lightning man. And 'Watch me fly. I am the eagle that soars-" (Leo)
"Shut up, Valdez." (Jason)
Leo managed a little smile. "Yeah, see. I do annoy you."
"I apologize for apologizing." (Jason)
"Thank you." He went back to work, but the tension had eased between them. Leo still looked sad and exhausted-just not quite so angry.”

― Rick Riordan, The Lost Hero

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) "You dreamt about me?" His voice held an arrogant edge that had me rolling my eyes.
"Yes, and you jumped off a cliff."

-J.A. Templeton, The Deepest Cut

message 31: by Dana (new)

Dana "So what's with that 'hey' thing?" she asked as Simon maneuvered the car onto the FDR parkway, the highway that ran alongside the East River. "What 'hey' thing?" he replied.
"The 'hey' thing that guys always do. Like when you saw Jace and Alec, you said 'hey,' and they said 'hey' back. What's wrong with 'hello'?" She thought she saw a muscle twitch in his cheek. "'Hello' is girly," he informed her. "Real men are terse. Laconic."
"So the more manly you are, the less you say?" "Right. That's why when major badasses greet each other in movies, they don't say anything, they just nod. The nod means, 'I am a badass, and I recognize that you, too, are a badass,' but they don't say anything because they're Wolverine and Magneto and it would mess up their vibe to explain."
"I have no idea what you're talking about," said Jace, from the backseat.
"Good," Clary said, and was rewarded by the smallest of smiles from Simon

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (gomj25) | 7 comments Demon pox, oh demon pox just how is it aquired?
One must go down to the bad part do town until one is very tired
Demon pox, oh demon I had it all along
Not the pox you foolish blocks
I mean this very song
For I was right and you were wrong

-William Herondale Clockwork Prince

message 33: by Ashrakat (new)

Ashrakat Deyab (ashfire) | 60 comments "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."

The Fault in Our Star, Augustus Waters

That book was just adorable :3

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (gomj25) | 7 comments "You smell good too."
"It's called a shower." When he didn't respond I added, "Hot water. Soap. Shampoo."
"Naked. I know the drill."

-Hush, hush

message 35: by Destany (new)

Destany | 122 comments “Hey!" said the guy in the video. "Greetings from your friends at Camp Half-Blood, et cetera. This is Leo. I'm the..." He looked off screen and yelled: "What's my title? Am I like admiral, or captain, or-"

A girl's voice yelled back, "Repair boy."

"Very funny, Piper," Leo grumbled. He turned back to the parchment screen. "So yeah, I'm...ah..supreme commander of the Argo II. Yeah, I like that! Anyway, we're gonna be sailing towards you in about, I dunno, an hour in this big mother warship. We'd appreciate it if you'd not, like, blow us out of the sky or anything. So okay! If you could tell the Romans that. See you soon. Yours in demigodishness, and all that. Peace out!”
― Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune

message 36: by Destany (new)

Destany | 122 comments “Jeez, Hazel," Percy said, "tell your horse to watch his language."
Hazel tried not to laugh. "What did he say?"
"With the cussing removed? He said he can get us to the top."
Frank looked incredulous. "I thought the horse couldn't fly!"
This time Arion whinnied so angrily, even Hazel could guess he was cursing.
"Dude," Percy told the horse, "I've gotten suspended for saying less than that...”
― Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune

message 37: by Destany (new)

Destany | 122 comments “Brianna dropped the skateboard in front of Sam. "Don't worry: I won't let you fall off."
"Yeah? Then why did you bring the helmet?"
Brianna tossed it to him. "In case you fall off.”
― Michael Grant, Hunger

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) :D

I love the Gone series.

message 39: by Destany (new)

Destany | 122 comments Me too !!!

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Have you read all of them so far? I've only gotten as far as Plague.

message 41: by Destany (new)

Destany | 122 comments Yep and their amazing

message 42: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Destany wrote: "“Hey!" said the guy in the video. "Greetings from your friends at Camp Half-Blood, et cetera. This is Leo. I'm the..." He looked off screen and yelled: "What's my title? Am I like admiral, or capta..."

Haha! Love this one. :)

message 43: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Isaac leaned a hand against the snack table and focused his huge eyes on me. "Okay, so I went into clinic this morning, and I was telling my surgeon that I'd rather be deaf than blind. And he said, 'It doesn't work that way,' and I was, like, 'Yeah, I realise it doesn't work that way; I'm just saying I'd rather be deaf than blind if I had the choice, which I realise I don't have,' and he said, 'Well, the good news is you won't be deaf,' and I was like, 'Thank you for explaining that my eye cancer isn't going to make me deaf. I feel so fortunate that an intellectual giant like yourself would deign to operate on me'"
- The Fault In Our Stars, John Green
I love Issac's sarcastic remarks! He's awesome!

message 44: by Destany (new)

Destany | 122 comments "Meanwhile" Simon added, " I wanted to tell you that lately I've been cross dressing. Also , I'm sleeping with your mom. I thought you should know. "

City of Bones

message 45: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Haha! =D

message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie Boord (katieboord) | 28 comments Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster doesn't like chocolate?"

Clockwork Angel, Cassandra Clare

message 47: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

I laughed at that because that's exactly what I would've said. :P

message 48: by Carmen ❾¾ (new)

Carmen ❾¾ (happyendinglover) “Oh, Hell. Must. Mate. Immediately.”
― Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone