Time Travel discussion

Non-Time-Travel Subjects > Goodreads Outage Withdrawals

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
I honestly didn't know how addicted I was to GoodReads until it wasn't up all day. Anybody else get a little twitchy? ;)

message 2: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 320 comments Haha, I thought it was just me!! Yeah, I admit, I kept hitting the refresh button!

message 3: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments So, what are you saying Ladies, too much of a good thing or you don't know what you have till it's gone?

message 4: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Howard wrote: "So, what are you saying Ladies, too much of a good thing or you don't know what you have till it's gone?"

A little of both. I think I'd really be lost without it.

message 5: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Mar 11, 2013 07:59PM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I was out of town all weekend and just got home a couple of hours ago, so I guess I missed it. Had I been home, I probably would have been chomping at the bit.

message 6: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Amy, something constant can be comforting, true.

Something comforting can be lost, also true.

But something lost sometimes is found.

Such is life & the stuff of many good books, too.

Write what you know.

message 7: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Mar 12, 2013 08:39AM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
GoodReads is like that friend you write little tidbits to here and there as you find something that they will appreciate.

message 8: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 426 comments I had no idea what to do on my cofeebreak without goodreads to peruse. Luckily I found the website http://www.cakewrecks.com/, that is good place for a chuckle

message 9: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
And I listened to a couple of really nice Spotify stations (including an Album Radio station based on the song Coup de Grace by Koop).

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul | 341 comments We know we've been reading too much Time Travel if we discover there's no Internet and immediately conclude we've traveled to the Past. Not that I would be that silly(!), but an oldies station from the next room and a pre-Goodreads Book-of-the-Month Club parcel at the door would have done it.

message 11: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "We know we've been reading too much Time Travel if we discover there's no Internet and immediately conclude we've traveled to the Past. Not that I would be that silly(!), but an oldies station from..."

Oh, no. Not a book of the month club parcel! But, ya know, I kind of miss those just a little.

message 12: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Finish this sentence:

You know you're a Goodreads addict when...

message 13: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
You sign on and are disappointed to find that there have not been any new posts in your favorite group since you signed on an hour ago.

message 14: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 320 comments Howard wrote: "So, what are you saying Ladies, too much of a good thing or you don't know what you have till it's gone?"
Oh, definitely don't know what you have till it's gone!

Now Goodreads is back to its naughty tricks....ugh!
REFRESH!!!

message 15: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 320 comments John wrote: "Finish this sentence:

You know you're a Goodreads addict when..."

Goodreads is the first icon on the first screen of your phone

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul | 341 comments John wrote: "Finish this sentence:

You've got four separate GR pages open at the same time and can't decide which to read first.

message 17: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 320 comments Paul wrote: "John wrote: "Finish this sentence:

You've got four separate GR pages open at the same time and can't decide which to read first."

true dat!

..when you kick your sucky Comcast Internet modem because it keeps bumping you off Goodreads every.two.seconds.argh!

message 18: by Tej (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
John wrote: "Finish this sentence:

...when you feel absolutely dreadful in missing a couple days flurry of posts and not being in on it at the time :(

and...

...when you wonder, why hasnt Randy alerted us to a new free time travel book today, in the Free or cheap books thread!

message 19: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
you write reviews in Notepad to save for later and contemplate backing up all your reviews to amazon when it's back up so that you don't lose them all.

you realize that the FaceBook people just wouldn't understand.

message 20: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Amy wrote: 'FaceBook people just wouldn't understand'

Not always so Amy.

I've a Fan page, not a personel one & they seem to get it fine.

message 21: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Howard wrote: "Amy wrote: 'FaceBook people just wouldn't understand'

Not always so Amy.

I've a Fan page, not a personel one & they seem to get it fine."

Ah, what I meant with that statement is that the people who are "friends" of mine on FaceBook mainly wouldn't appreciate what I had to say about literature for the day. A very small handful of friends, yes, but the majority (former students, co-workers, family members, former classmates), no. I think that's probably a big difference between a fan page and a personal page with your closest 327 "friends".

message 22: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
That's okay, Amy. We love you and accept you for who you are. You are welcome here among this group of science fiction loving, time travel fanatics. I wonder if there is a 12-step program for people like us.

message 23: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
John wrote: "That's okay, Amy. We love you and accept you for who you are. You are welcome here among this group of science fiction loving, time travel fanatics. I wonder if there is a 12-step program for pe..."

Ha. Do we need a 12-step program? I think I'm content with this particular addiction. I have no problem ...

message 24: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Amy wrote: 'Do we need a 12-step program?'

Amy, according to String Theory, it's an 11-step process & that's just 5 more realities beyond what is academically recognized in this current Timeframe.

Remember, Mendeleev's chart had holes too, but these were quickly filled by dedicated people who also thought it fun to be in the know, something to which I think most in this group do indeed relate.

So, 5 out of 11, it's all downhill now, you'll see.

message 25: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Howard wrote: '5 out of 11'

Whoops, a temporal distortion, I meant, of course, 6 out of 11.

message 26: by Tej (new)

Amy wrote: "Ha. Do we need a 12-step program? I think I'm content with this particular addiction. I have no problem ..."

What's a 12 step program? is it some sort of counselling? Well we dont need that, the rest of the world will when they realise what they missing out on GR.

message 27: by Paul (new)

Paul | 341 comments Tej wrote: "What's a 12 step program? is it some sort of counselling? Well we dont nee..."

Tej, you're obviously not drinking enough. It was originated by Alcoholics Anonymous and later adapted for other addictions. No hope for GR addicts, I fear. But we don't mind.

message 28: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
I second that Tej is not drinking enough.

message 29: by Tej (new)

Paul wrote: "Tej wrote: "What's a 12 step program? is it some sort of counselling? Well we dont nee..."

Tej, you're obviously not drinking enough. It was originated by Alcoholics Anonymous and later adapted f..."

Ah that figures, I'm afraid I am a health and fitness trainer and 'aving a pint is reserved on weekends with me cricketing pals.

message 30: by Tej (last edited Mar 13, 2013 09:49AM) (new)

Amy wrote: "I second that Tej is not drinking enough."

OK I'll try cure my self of my woeful inadequacy. I might need the 12 step program to start drinking more.

message 31: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Tej wrote: "Amy wrote: "I second that Tej is not drinking enough."

OK I'll try cure my self of my woeful inadequacy. I might need the 12 step program to start drinking more."

Do you have any religion? If not, you'll need the 12 step program first to acquire one.

message 32: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Mar 13, 2013 10:24AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Since Tej can't drink during the week, I will have to have an extra pint tonight on his behalf.

message 33: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
That sounds like a great plan, John.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul | 341 comments John wrote: "Since Tej can't drink during the week, I will have to have an extra pint tonight on his behalf."

I'll be glad to help as well. What are friends for? And if it's a pint of Guinness, it's actually considered Health Food. This was sworn to my wife and myself by a slightly inebriated couple in a pub in the Irish coastal town of Doolin. So it must be true.

message 35: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Paul, being a good historian you should know that for most of human history beer was a legit food group, liquid bread as it were & that goes for prehistory, too.

Drink what you know.

message 36: by Tej (new)

Im feeling really left out! Right a pint o guiness extra cold please...and yes it does have a tiny 1% healthy ingredient, the irish couple was sorta right...

So what do we drink to? My not being able to drink during the week is it? Aye, I' ll drink to that, me poor withered soul.

message 37: by Paul (new)

Paul | 341 comments Howard wrote: "Paul, being a good historian you should know that for most of human history beer was a legit food group, liquid bread as it were & that goes for prehistory, too.

Drink what you know."

HAH! So true! A meal in itself. And with Howard's indisputable testimony, I rest my glass . . er, case. I'll stop now, as Tej is probably on his way to a pub.

message 38: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Mar 13, 2013 12:07PM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Tej wrote: "So what do we drink to? ..."

Here's to health...
Fitness and tone...
I've drank to health so many times...
I've ruined my own...

message 39: by Tej (new)

John wrote: "Tej wrote: "So what do we drink to? ..."

Here's to health...
Fitness and tone...
I've drank to health so many times...
I've ruined my own...
"

Lol awesome, very edgar Poe...now off to the gym with you!

message 40: by E.B. (last edited Mar 14, 2013 07:14AM) (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 320 comments Paul wrote: "John wrote: "Since Tej can't drink during the week, I will have to have an extra pint tonight on his behalf."

I'll be glad to help as well. What are friends for? And if it's a pint of Guinness, it..."

Guinness....yummy.
Is it five o'clock somewhere yet?

message 41: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 320 comments Amy wrote: "You know you're a Goodreads addict when...
you write reviews in Notepad to save for later and contemplate backing up all your reviews to amazon when it's back up so that you don't lose them all.

..."

True that. FB is no Goodreads. ;)

message 42: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Hello My name is Lincoln...and I have an addiction LOL