YA Bookaholics discussion

Archives > Dystopia Books

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Mar 11, 2013 05:59PM) (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) It's the apocalypse, society is falling--maybe one is happening, maybe both are. Here is where you can discuss dystopia books.

What are your favorite and least favorite books in this genre?
What kind of dystopian society do you like the most?
What do you like so much about dystopia books?

Examples of books in this genre:

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I haven't read many of these but though the ever night was really good and I have delirium so I'm thinking about starting it

message 3: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) I loved Divergent and Insurgent and I can't wait for the next one! I also really liked The Hunger Games trilogy, but they're not an absolute favorite of mine. I haven't read the other two in your list. But I planned on reading Cinder sooner or later. I've never heard of the last one.

message 4: by Dalu (new)

Dalu  | 38 comments this are the Dystopian books i read in Junuary and February that i really loved: Divergent Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Free Four Tobias Tells the Story (Divergent, #1.1) by Veronica Roth Matched Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie Reached (Matched, #3) by Ally Condie Delirium Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver Requiem (Delirium, #3) by Lauren Oliver Delirium Stories Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5) by Lauren Oliver The hunger games The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Uglies Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld and now i'm reading Pretties (Uglies, #2) by Scott Westerfeld

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Loved the Birthmark and Delirium series.I just couldn't get into Divergent or Matched.

I really like the strong women leaders and also it makes you feel really thankful about life when you read about people struggling for the little things..Freedom,food,a place to lay your head down at night.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I finished Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi yesterday, I just absolutely loved the writing style. I would definitely recommend it for dystopia fans.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 4 comments Dystopian books are all I read. Their like my children... I can pick my favorites because once I read the book again, I fall deeper love with said book. I of course love Divergent and Insurgent, the Hunger Games... But what I don't see a lot of is Legend by Maire Lu or Across the universe by Beth Revis... Now mabe Across the universe is considered "old" or whatever but its one of my favorite books EVER! I didn't like matched at all. I absolutely hate love triangles and that had a really big one.

message 8: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Brooks I am completely obsessed. You should definitely read the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I'm reading Pandemonium right now. :)

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Pandemonium is the second book right how are you liking it

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I'm not very far into it (only 28 percent because I haven't been reading a lot lately), but I'm really liking it.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I kind of hurried through it cause I was looking for one thing to happen lol

message 13: by Brooke (new)

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi and Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu are really good.

message 14: by Perenelle (new)

Perenelle | 250 comments The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa was good, along with The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1) by Caitlin Kittredge

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Dystopia Book Recommendations

Which books would you recommend for others to read and why?

message 16: by Tiffany (last edited May 25, 2013 05:39AM) (new)

Tiffany The first book was awesome and this one is even better..It has a very good story line and great characters.What i love most about it is how flippin funny some parts are. Im not really one to laugh out loud or even look for a book that is funny but this did it for me..Really good!!
Warpaint

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie Boord (katieboord) | 28 comments I would recommend Crewel because the world is amazing and original and well thought out. Also the characters are great. There is a love triangle, which I usually don't like, but I didn't really mind it in Crewel. Can't wait for book 2!

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Dystopia book suggestion of the week

Sunset Rising by S.M. McEachern

They live in a Dome where all the poor live in the Pit (as miserable as it sounds) and all the rich lord over them in a much safer area. The president is a dictator, but there's a rebellion brewing. There's a heroine that reminded me of Katniss, but not too much so that they seemed the same. It ends in an interesting cliffhanger.

It's a lesser known book that is really good, and you should check it out.

message 19: by Shaylie (new)

Shaylie (shaylie64) I loved the Divergent series and Hunger Games!! Will have to check out Cinder.