YA Bookaholics discussion

Archives > Contemporary/Realistic Books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Mar 16, 2013 05:05PM) (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Here's where you can discuss anything related to YA contemporary books!

What are your favorite and least favorite books of this genre?
Do you like more realistic or more lighthearted contemporary?
What do you like so much about contemporary novels?

Examples in this genre:
This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Duff Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass

message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (clouddinosaur) I think my favorite books would have to be The Legend Trilogy and The Hunger Games Trilogy. Plus anything by Laurie Halse Anderson, Wendy Mass, or Sarah Dessen...haha. I like more realistic books because I can connect more.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I know what you mean by being able to connect more. Realistic contemporary can teach us a lot about life.

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (clouddinosaur) Yea I agree.

message 5: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) My favorite contemporary books are This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen Sweethearts by Sara Zarr The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

message 6: by Kate (last edited Mar 17, 2013 09:43PM) (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I love Ellen Hopkins' books. I've read most of them, and I just finished Perfect. She doesn't pretty anything up. Her work is raw, emotional, and most importantly, realistic. Her lyrical style has the ability to hold more in it than a standard book.

I would definitely recommend her books, if you can handle them.
Crank (Crank, #1) by Ellen Hopkins Glass (Crank, #2) by Ellen Hopkins Fallout (Crank, #3) by Ellen Hopkins Tricks by Ellen Hopkins Tilt by Ellen Hopkins Impulse (Impulse, #1) by Ellen Hopkins Perfect (Impulse, #2) by Ellen Hopkins Identical by Ellen Hopkins
And I'm hoping to read Burned (Burned, #1) by Ellen Hopkins soon.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Contemporary Book Recommendations

Which books would you recommend for others to read and why?

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) The Juliet Club by Suzanne Harper Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard From What I Remember... by Stacy Kramer are all sweet stories.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Contemporary book suggestion of the week

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry and Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2) by Katie McGarry

If you're looking for really good romances, try these. They are really good, and I loved both.