YA Bookaholics discussion

Archives > Historical Fiction Books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (last edited Mar 11, 2013 06:01PM) (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) WWI, WWII, medieval times, roaring 20's--here's where you can discuss the Historical Fiction genre! (Which basically includes any books set in the past.)

What are your favorite and least favorite books in this genre?
Which time period do you like books to be set in the most?
What do you like so much about historical fiction books?

Some examples of YA historical fiction:
A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I was recently given Time's Twisted Arrow (The Chronos Files, #1) by Rysa Walker by the author and I was so surprised I loved this book I highly recommend it even if you don't do the historical book thing this book is great with a strong heroin in it

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) I bought that on Amazon when it was free, but I haven't read it yet.

I love historical fiction, but I would have to say that two of my favorite series are the Gemma Doyle and Leviathan trilogies. The first is set in the Victorian period and includes magic and fantasy, and the second is set during world war has steampunk elements. I definitely recommend both series.

I really like the WWI to WWII eras. It's very interesting, and it's not set too far back in time.

I love how I can learn about history in this genre. I learned a lot about WWI in the Leviathan series, and I've learned a lot about the Holocaust by reading a few books set in that time.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth so would the reverent series be historical they all died hundreds of years ago lol

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace | 2 comments Midnight Rider is the best historical fiction set during the revolutionary war.

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica | 8 comments The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak was really surprising in a food way. :3

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica | 8 comments *good way, damn autocorrect

message 8: by Simmaron (new)

Simmaron (mybookedlife) | 341 comments Auto correct is troubling everyone .

message 9: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Live by Night by Dennis Lehane This one is fantastic.

If you are into art, I suggest Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

About WWII The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

Anyone have suggestions of historical fiction about The World Wars, particularly WWII?

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (as also mentioned above) is set during WWII.

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) Historical Fiction Book Recommendations

Which books would you recommend for others to read and why?

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) Historical Fiction book suggestion of the week:

A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray

Seriously. This book is so cool. Just try it if you like magic and mystery set in Victorian England.