YA Bookaholics discussion

Archives > Paranormal/Supernatural Books

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Mar 11, 2013 05:58PM) (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Vampires, faeries, werewolves, ghosts--here's where you can post your thoughts on books of the Paranormal genre!

What are your favorite and least favorite books in this genre?
Which is your favorite supernatural creature?
What do you like so much about paranormal/supernatural books?

Examples of books in this genre:
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast Shade (Shade, #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

message 2: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Jessica  (stuckinotherworlds) | 858 comments Mod
My favourite supernatural creature is either vampires or Faeries. My favourite books would have to be once again the House of Night series.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite books are Cassandra Clare's-The Mortal Instruments.

my least favorite would be The Twilight Saga. I still enjoyed them but it wasn't written well in my opinion

my favorite supernatural Creature is a vampire

I like paranormal/supernatural books because they keep my brain/mind wondering and they're suspenseful! :)

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I really like vampires too. There's such a big variety of them, and I love that. I love the suspense too, as well the action/fighting that often takes place in paranormal books.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I don't know if I have a fav paranormal I like them all but I have read 2 series where the paranormal turned out to be Aliens and both times I was surprised so if that counts I would have to go with them

message 6: by Simmaron (new)

Simmaron (mybookedlife) | 341 comments Aliens are awesome more than vampires. Right Elizabeth ?? ;)
I like fallen angels and Nephilims too. Covenant series, TMI etc are good. But personally am kinda bored of vampires and werewolves now .

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I like it when there's a different kind of paranormal being, like revenants and apollyons. They're unique.

message 8: by Simmaron (new)

Simmaron (mybookedlife) | 341 comments Yeah totally. And those dwellers and outsiders concept in Under the Never Sky was also good for a change.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth very right angels and Nephilims are good too and reverents are new and they are good too or maybe they are a different way to look at zombies but I didn't think that when I was reading

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Here are supernaturals from books I've recently read.

I'm also a fan of werewolves and shapeshifters: Bloodrose (Nightshade, #3) by Andrea Cremer

Ghosts can be pretty cool, but they're not my favorite: The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse, #1) by J.A. Templeton

I'm reading What Kills Me by Wynne Channing right now, and it has vampires in it. It's an interesting story.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I am a paranormal junkie I use to not read witch or mermaid book and I never thought I would like aliens but I I have read all of them and really enjoyed them

message 13: by Sharon (last edited Apr 04, 2013 08:11AM) (new)

Sharon (sharonatmlcc) | 16 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I am a paranormal junkie I use to not read witch or mermaid book and I never thought I would like aliens but I I have read all of them and really enjoyed them"

I'm guessing, aliens - The Lux series right?
Daemon totally changed my mind too!!

Chloe Fandom Queen Well, I haven't read all the books in this genre though I do want to. But at the moment, my favourite series would be the Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine. My least favourite would be the Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Yes I'v only read two series with Aliens but the were both great I was suprised and lux series is tot one of my favs

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I am reading my blood approves series right now and although the first one seemed to be a copy of twilight the rest I am enjoying

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonatmlcc) | 16 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Yes I'v only read two series with Aliens but the were both great I was suprised and lux series is tot one of my favs"

Oh which other alien book, did you read?
I am a die-hard Lux fan as well!

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth the other one is different and its really good but I kind of let the cat out of the bag cause the best part was while I was reading it I didn't know what they were they don't tell you till the end of the book A.M Hargrove wrote them it drove me crazy through the whole book trying to figure out what they were and I just ruined it sorry

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonatmlcc) | 16 comments Elizabeth wrote: "the other one is different and its really good but I kind of let the cat out of the bag cause the best part was while I was reading it I didn't know what they were they don't tell you till the end ..."

Oh :( But I'll probably read it anyway! Thanks:)

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth it really is good I believe the first one is called Survival its the Guardians of Vesturon series

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I have some other Alien books but I haven't read them yet and the theme this month is angels so I won't be getting to them anytime soon but when I do I'll let you know what I think of them and we can compare later

message 22: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonatmlcc) | 16 comments Oh that would be awesome:D

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth so are into all of the paranormal or just some cause I have found that there are good book for almost every paranormal there is I'v been pretty surprised I started with vampires and thats all I would read then people started recommending others and I really never imagined how many different paranormal there are

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonatmlcc) | 16 comments Elizabeth wrote: "so are into all of the paranormal or just some cause I have found that there are good book for almost every paranormal there is I'v been pretty surprised I started with vampires and thats all I wou..."

Tell me about! Although aliens and the like go into the paranormal sci-fi category, I love the fantasy genre as well. It's all basically paranormal with different names.

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleytropea) | 7 comments My favorites are anything written by Cassandra Clare and Hush hush

My favorite supernatural creature would be a Shadowhunter (does that count?)

And I love paranormal because that's something that could never happen and what's fun about reading stuff that happens to you everyday? You already know what's going on in school and such. But seeing the life of a vampire or werewolf or demon hunter...that's interesting

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonatmlcc) | 16 comments I love Hush Hush and Cassandra Clare as well. Though I am ashamed to admit, I've only read one of her books. The others are in to-read pile.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Ashley wrote: "My favorites are anything written by Cassandra Clare and Hush hush

My favorite supernatural creature would be a Shadowhunter (does that count?)

And I love paranormal because that's something that..."

I agree with you I like that it couldn't happen but they take place in real situations

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Paranormal Book Recommendations

Which books would you recommend for others to read and why?

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Paranormal book suggestion of the week

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa

It features a future ruled by cruel vampires and plagued by zombies (but under a different name), as well as a group of humans searching from an almost-mythical place called Eden. It's an awesome book.