100 Books Challenge discussion

Book Challenges > Melissa (Ladybug)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Oct 14, 2021 08:37AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments I just joined the group and found that I have read a lot of these books. :D I have the links up for the books I have read.

01. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
02. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
03. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
04. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
05. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
06. 1984 by George Orwell
07. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
08. Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
09. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
10. Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald
11. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins*
12. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
13. Little Women by L.M. Alcott
14. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams*
15. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
16. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
17. Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt
18. Dracula by Bram Stoker
19. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami*
20. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival,... by Laura Hillenbrand*
21. Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake*
22. Left Behind Series by Tim LaHaye*
23. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
24. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty
25. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin*
26. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
27. Matilda by Roald Dahl
28. Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence*
29. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
30. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
31. The Poisonwood Bible by Barabra Kingsolver
32. The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence
33. The Salt Road by Jane Johnson*
34. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
35. Blindness by Jose Saramago
36. A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute*
37. The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce*
38. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
39. Jurassic Park by Micheal Crichton
40. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
41. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
42. Roots by Alex Haley
43. The Bible
44. The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
45. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman
46. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
47. The Husband by Dean Koontz
48. The Lizard Cage by Karen Connelly
49. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
50. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
51. The Stand by Stephen King
52. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
53. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
54. A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
55. A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
56. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
57. Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
58. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
59. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
60. The Girl Who Circumnavigated... by Catherynne M. Valente*
61. A Living Nightmare (Bk 1 Cirque du Freak) by Darren Shan
62. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
63. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
64. Deadly Appearances by Gail Bowen
65. Eragon by Christopher Paolini
66. Exodus by Leon Uris
67. Expecting Adam by Martha Beck
68. Five Smooth Stones by Anne Fairbairn
69. Jack Maggs by Peter Carey
70. Jennie: The Life of Lady Randolph Churchill by Ralph Martin
71. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
72. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
73. Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers
74. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot*
75. Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult**
76. North and South by John Jakes
77. Not Wanted on the Voyage by Timothy Findley
78. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez*
79. Sabriel by Garth Nix
80. Scarlet Feather by Maeve Binchy
81. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell*
82. Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye
83. Tess of the D’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
84. The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
85. The Cure for Death by Lightning by Gail Anderson-Dargatz
86. The Englishman’s Boy by Guy Vanderhaeghe
87. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
88. Home Front by Kristin Hannah*
89. Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson
90. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
91. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
92. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
93. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
94. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
95. Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra
96. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
97. My Losing Season: A Memoir by Pat Conroy
98. A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George
99. Without Remorse by Tom Clancy
100. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

#11 Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Has been replaced with the Hunger Games Trilogy
#14 LotR: Fellowship of the Rings Has been replaced with Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy
#19 Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone Has been replaced with 1Q84
#20 HP & Prisoner of Azkaban Has been replaced with Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival
#21 HP & Order of the Phoenix Has been replaced with Titus Groan
#22 HP & Half Blood Prince Has been replaced with The Left Behind Series
#25 LotR: Two Towers Has been replaced with A Game of Thrones
#28 Persuasion Has been replaced with Inherit the Wind
#33 Tale of Two Cities Has been replaced with The Salt Road
#36 Emma Has been replaced with A Town Like Alice
#37 HP & Chamber of Secrets Has been replaced with The Song of the Lioness Quartet
#60 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Has been replaced with The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland ...
#74 My Sister's Keeper Has been replaced with The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
#75 Nineteen Minutes Has been replaced with Lone Wolf by the same author
#78 One Hundred Years of Solitude Has been replaced with Love in the Time of Cholera by the same author
#81 Sense and Sensibility Has been replaced with Cloud Atlas
#88 The Fountainhead Has been replaced with Home Front
#96 The Way the Crow Flies Has been replaced with I Capture the Castle
#97 True History of the Kelly Gang replaced with My Losing Season: A Memoir
#98 What Came Before He Shot Her Has been replaced with 1st book in series: A Great Deliverance

The original List:
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 343 comments Mod
29 read, 71 to go...

I'm currently reading The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency. Did you like it?

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments I loved it. Gave it 4 stars. Did have trouble following time wise. :D

message 4: by Frozenwaffle (new)

Frozenwaffle Links to mark the read ones, I like how that looks. :D

message 5: by Nicolle (new)

I finished it last night Melissa, and I really enjoyed the read, but can't say it was so fantastic for me to be honest. I haven't read a lot of detective books, but of the ones I have read, I guess this is the worst! I was looking to see who of my Goodreads friends have read it, and I think I am in the minority of three stars. Most are four or five.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments :D I did love it myself, but I can see where you are coming from. :D I did like some of the later ones much more. They made more sense in a way.

message 7: by Nicolle (new)

I will probably try more one day.

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 860 comments Mod
Wow! You've read a lot already!! Congrats! I'd like to read The Good Earth. I read something by Pearl Buck years ago, but don't remember which one.

message 9: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Mar 15, 2013 08:17AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments Yes, I got a terribly happy feeling seeing all the books I have already read. :D

It might have been "The Good Earth" that you read. I haven't been able to find any of her other books yet, but I did see this one at our local Hastings one day. :D It is a good book and I read it because of the Pulitzer prize.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments Frozenwaffle wrote: "Links to mark the read ones, I like how that looks. :D"

Thank you, I think it makes it look more together so to speak. :D

message 11: by Martha (new)

Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "Yes, I got a terribly happy feeling seeing all the books I have already read. :D

It might have been "The Good Earth" that you read. I haven't been able to find any of her other books yet, but I d..."

I think it probably was as I read so much in my school years, but I don't remember much about it. I'd like to read this one soon (or reread it). :-)

message 13: by Nicolle (new)

Did you like either?

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments I actually liked both of them. Rated them 4 stars. :D

message 15: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new)

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) | 184 comments Mod
I have yet to read life of pi, but enjoyed water for elephants

message 16: by Nicolle (last edited Mar 28, 2013 02:09PM) (new)

Life of Pi......meh.

Water for Elephants......Hurrah!

message 17: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Nicolle wrote: "Life of Pi......meh.

Water for Elephants......Hurrah!"

I didnt like Life of Pi and currently reading Water for Elephants so we will see.

message 18: by Nicolle (new)

You'll love it. I feel it in my bones!! :)

message 19: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Nicolle wrote: "You'll love it. I feel it in my bones!! :)"

So far so good

message 20: by Nicolle (new)

Knew it. Feeling rather smug now.

message 21: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new)

lol Nicolle!

message 22: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Apr 04, 2013 07:37AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments I need 8 recommendations to replace 8 books. I removed the extra Harry Potter (Read them all, but they work as just one selection) and LoTR (Same reason as above). Looking at the list, and I would prefer that I get a wide selection of authors so am going to only read one book by each author. :D

message 23: by Martha (last edited Apr 04, 2013 07:55AM) (new)

You're profile's set to private so I can't see what you like. This 100 book list is a nice varied selection of classics and contemporary. Here are a few of my recent favorite contemporary books:
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption ... can't wait to see if it's made into a movie and who they pick to play Louis.
Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War ... another war story that I did NOT want to read, but found it compelling and true to the times, according to what I remember about attitudes, racial strife, etc.
My Losing Season: A Memoir ... I'd never read Pat Conroy before. His writing is amazing!
Beautiful Ruins ... just a fun, fun read! I was surprised at how much I really liked this book.
I love most classics and have many on my shelves if you want to take a look.
Hope you find 8 that you love! :-)

message 24: by Louise (new)

Louise What sort of genres do you like? I can think of a few books I love to recommend people but it doesn't look like we have too many books in common from that list so they might not be your sort of thing.

Maybe The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente if you want another children's book/series though? I loved it, though it was a slow starter. Very Alice in wonderland-ish, but with more of a plot (eventually)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments I am very, very eclectic. :D Here is just some:

Biography/Memoir, Children's/YA, Christian, Classics, Contemporary, Fantasy/Fiction, Historical fiction, Manga, Cozy Mysteries, Paranormal, Religion, Romance, Science fiction, Suspense, and Thriller.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments Louise wrote: "Maybe The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente ..."

That is so funny because I already have this on my TBR shelf. :D

message 27: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Dec 12, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments As an example of books, right now I am reading these:

Nefertiti The Book of the Dead (Rai Rahotep, #1) by Nick Drake Cowboy Boots in Darkest Africa by Bill Rice Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare God Chasers My Soul Follows Hard After Thee by Tommy Tenney The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams

message 28: by Louise (last edited Apr 04, 2013 08:22AM) (new)

Louise Well that is eclectic! :D

Titus Groan/Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake might be a good replacement for LoTR if you want replacements within the same genre. It's normally classed as fantasy but with no elves or magic or Hobitses - about as different from Tolkien as you can get whilst still being in the same genre. Very dense and descriptive though so probably not for everyone. But they're among my absolute favourite books ever (they're part 1 and 2 of a planned larger series that Peake died before completing. There is a book 3, but 1&2 tell a wonderful complete story by themselves that doesn't need a continuation so I view the 3rd as optional)

We, the Drowned - Historical Fiction. The story of a small port town in Denmark, following one family of sailors from the tail end of the age of sail down the generations to the end of WWII. Pretty bleak and depressing in places, but I really liked it.

Both those are pretty very heavy going though.

I Capture the Castle (classic, arguably YA) or The Hundred and One Dalmatians (clasic, children's) by Dodie Smith are more light and cosy books that are also brilliant. I Capture the Castle probably has the edge if you're only reading one book per author, it's absolutely wonderful, I just have a soft spot for books about dogs.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments Louise wrote: "Well that is eclectic! :D

Titus Groan/Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake might be a good replacement for LoTR if you want replacements within the same genre. It's normally classed as fantasy but with no ..."

Thank you, :D I listed Titus Groan and it is also on the 1001 books to read list so two birds with one stone. lol

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments Martha wrote: "You're profile's set to private so I can't see what you like. This 100 book list is a nice varied selection of classics and contemporary. Here are a few of my recent favorite contemporary books:
U..."

Unbroken looks really good so I used it. Thank you for the wonderful recommendations. :D

message 31: by Martha (new)

I love Hillenbrand's writing. Finally finished Seabiscuit recently. It was good, but Unbroken is her best IMO. She writes slowly due to a debilitating condition ... chronic fatigue syndrome, I think. I literally could not stop reading it at one point ... I won't say when :-). Louis is still alive (or was the last time I checked) so I hope if they are making a movie, that they will do it while he's still with us. Would be wonderful to have him helping to promote it. :-)

message 32: by Frozenwaffle (last edited Apr 04, 2013 09:32AM) (new)

Frozenwaffle Louise wrote: "Maybe The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente if you want another children's book/series though? I loved it, though it was a slow starter. Very Alice in wonderland-ish, but with more of a plot (eventually) "

I really liked that one, too :D Makes me look forward to reading some of her other work, about which I have heard lots of good things: Currently I'm saving my evil metal to buy this little beauty Silently and Very Fast!

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise Frozenwaffle wrote: "I really liked that one, too :D Makes me look forward to reading some of her other work, about which I have heard lots of good things: Currently I'm saving my evil metal to buy this little beauty Silently and Very Fast! "

Ooooh, that looks interesting! I have In the Night Garden and In the Cities of Coin and Spice sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read at the moment, but hope to get hold of some more of her other stuff after I'm done with them. She seems quite difficult to come across in bookshops though.

Have you read the second Fairyland book yet? I loved.

message 34: by Frozenwaffle (new)

Frozenwaffle I haven't: Simply because, like you said, its very difficult to get hold of her books. Here in Portugal, only buying online :/

Let me know how what you think of those 2 when you do get around to them, pls :D

message 35: by Louise (new)

Louise Shall do. Might take me a little while to get round to them (I'm currently (and slowly) reading The Arabian Nights so I want to get that finished before reading something apparently so heavily based on it or I'll get hopelessly confused) but I will get to them eventually.

Let me know what you think of the second Fairyland book when you manage to track it down :)

message 36: by Nicolle (new)

Right, I would suggest The Salt Road, not many people have read this so you might not have heard raving reviews but I loved it (got it in a giveaway). It was beautifully written and is just an amazing story. Won't give anything away, but it's one of my favs.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments Thank you Nicolle. :D I listed this book, it really sounds good.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments Which Jane Austin is the best to read:

Emma
Persuasion
Sense and Sensibility
Pride and Prejudice

message 39: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Pride and prejudice!

message 40: by Louise (new)

Louise I'd probably go Pride and Prejudice as well. There's a reason it's the most famous.

After that I'd probably say Emma (I love Emma but it's pretty long and a lot more 'ploddy' than P&P). Sense and Sensibility is the first book she published and is probably the least 'good' out of those four. And Persuasion is good (though I was underwhelmed the first time and only fully appreciated it on reread) but not as 'fun' as P&P.

message 41: by Nicolle (new)

Pride and Prejudice. A classic which I loved and my first Austen.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments Thank you for all the recommendations. They are awesome! :D I have finalized my list so far. lol Now I will be replacing books only if I DNF any of the ones left. :D

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments Have finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Really weird book and I had hard time following along so places. This is a classic SciFi?

message 44: by Louise (new)

Louise More classic/cult humour than classic sci-fi. I find it fairly overated myself but the original radio series (which got turned into the book later) is meant to be fantastic - I haven't listened.

message 45: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments The original tv series was great as was the radio broadcast ( which you can get on recordings).
It is wild and whacky and very much British in its humour style.

message 46: by Nicolle (new)

I've always wanted to read that. There is a movie too isn't there? Though I haven't seen that.

message 47: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Listen to the CDs if you can and dont bother with the film. Books are good fun.

message 48: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new)

My friend was obsessed with these books in high school....she loved them...I have not yet read the hitchhikers guide, and I really don't know if it's my cup of tea.

message 49: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Teri-lynn wrote: "My friend was obsessed with these books in high school....she loved them...I have not yet read the hitchhikers guide, and I really don't know if it's my cup of tea."

They are classics and have the benefit of being really good.

message 50: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new)

OK maybe I will try it someday!! Have you read the other books in the series yet??

« previous 1 3 4