A Song of Ice and Fire (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1-4) A Song of Ice and Fire discussion

The Parentage of Jon Snow

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Crystal The R+L=J theory is very popular. But has it ever occured to you guys that Martin would change the whole course of the story? Like, he now had everyone thinking that Jon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son, but maybe he would give us a surprise by not mentioning Jon's parentage at all, or he would just gloss over it, pull out some other woman or something else. What do you think are the odds of that happening?

Utsav i think that it is very likely that Martin pulls out some other rabbit out of the hat.the obvious theory remains that Jon is lyanna's and rhaegar's son.Fingers crossed for Winds of Winter

Crystal But if Jon really is the blood of the dragon and the blood of kings, won't Melisandre burn him? She is still convinced that Stannis is Azor Azhai.

Christopher Chilton My friend Tom is convinced that this is the case, but even so and he does turn out to be the son of R&L I don't think it will follow the route that people suspect. Martin definitely has another few twists up his sleeve, if there is one thing he has always done in his books and against most classic fantasy novels is really too heavily on a single crux or character in his stories to answer or solve problems. (This is as much a hope as an opinion as I have a bet going) Bring on the Winds of Winter!

Crystal Do you think we will see Jon in the Winds of Winter? I mean, he should be dead, isn't he?

Christopher Chilton I don't know if we will see him as the books are still split between the characters and we are due to hear from Cersi, the Dog, the Martels and Bran in the next instalment. But as to John being dead, I am 99% positive that he isn't as he is too important a character to be killed off with no obvious follow on.

Crystal Do you think that Melisandre will burn him? He is the blood of kings, after all. If Melisandre thinks he is Azor Azhai, then do you think she will burn Stannis?

Christopher Chilton In my opinion I don't think so as Martin is unlikely to reveal if he is the son of R&L till later on in the plot when she can be checked by other characters in terms of gathering support to burn him, plus stanis died at the end of the last book ( or so claimed by Ramsey Bolton) so she will either look to him as the saviour or the true azir will stop her from doing so. Personally I think Dynaris is the true Azir and she is unlikely to kill her newly discovered nephew. But who knows just have to wait and see, all I can say is that Martin has kept us on our toes this long and he will (fingers crossed) continue to do so till the end.

Dionna Crystal wrote: "The R+L=J theory is very popular. But has it ever occured to you guys that Martin would change the whole course of the story? Like, he now had everyone thinking that Jon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son..."No. He has said, on MANY occasions, that he will not alter his story because people have figured out a plot. It would not make any sense to do so without corrupting the rest of the story. Just because we now have the internet, and are able to pick away at every syllable that he writes, doesn't merit changing the storyline.

Crystal Okay, I understand it now. But in which interview did he say that?

Dionna Crystal wrote: "Okay, I understand it now. But in which interview did he say that?"

Search So Spake Martin. I'm not going through hundreds to find it.

Crystal Okay~

Dionna Crystal wrote: "Okay~"

GRRM doesn't read fan theories. Even if he did, he wouldn't change his writing plans just because a few fans have figured out some of the story. If you do figure it out, you can do a "superior dance."

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/0...

Crystal Thanks for the link!

Sarah Xx I think the R+L=J theory makes sense. Eddard said he promised Lyanna something, what if it was to raise Jon as his own, and keep him safe?

Crystal Sarah wrote: "I think the R+L=J theory makes sense. Eddard said he promised Lyanna something, what if it was to raise Jon as his own, and keep him safe?"

That's what most of us here think. Right now I'm cursing Ned for dying before telling the truth. Now I'm also screaming for Howland Reed to make an appearance before Jon dies.

Dionna Crystal wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I think the R+L=J theory makes sense. Eddard said he promised Lyanna something, what if it was to raise Jon as his own, and keep him safe?"

That's what most of us here think. Right n..."

I don't think we will ever see Howland. The truth will come about from what is inside of Lyanna's Winterfell crypt and Bran viewing the past from within the trees.

Crystal Dionna wrote: "Crystal wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I think the R+L=J theory makes sense. Eddard said he promised Lyanna something, what if it was to raise Jon as his own, and keep him safe?"

That's what most of us her..."

If you didn't mention Bran, I would have completely forgotten about him. Sorry Bran.

Sarah Xx Plus Ned said that he found her in a pool of blood. RHaegar didn't kill her, that wouldnt make sense, she was after having a baby. And Lyanna said a blue rose symbol is a blue rose, and Dany saw a blue rose at the wall.

message 20: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Shepherd Sarah wrote: "Plus Ned said that he found her in a pool of blood. RHaegar didn't kill her, that wouldnt make sense, she was after having a baby. And Lyanna said a blue rose symbol is a blue rose, and Dany saw a ..."

Yes, although Eddard recalls finding her in her "bed of blood" which seems to be a euphemism for childbirth, and the scent of roses he remembers in the dream probably was used to mask the smell of a post partum infection (puerperal fever) that killed her.