The Sword and Laser discussion

Thoughts for Tohoku

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1862 comments I hope nobody minds too much that I'm making a none book or sci-fi/fantasy related post, but today my thoughts are for Tohoku, the region of Japan most affected by the earthquake and tsunami of two years ago. Last year I visited Sendai, and saw the devastating effects of the tsunami, even a full year later, and even though I worked hard all day along with a large number of students from the university I attended, we barely managed a finger scratch compared to all the work that still needs to be done. But the work continues. Tohoku is in my heart, and I know it will recover.

message 2: by D. H. (new)

D. H. | 100 comments Ruth wrote: "I hope nobody minds too much that I'm making a none book or sci-fi/fantasy related post, but today my thoughts are for Tohoku, the region of Japan most affected by the earthquake and tsunami of two..."

Thanks for this. It's hard to believe two years have passed. Everything in my town in Iwate is back to normal, but an hour's drive west can take you to towns that used to be dense with houses, but are now still concrete debris covered with weeds. People are still living in temporary houses a little bigger than cubicles, and mountains of trash still stand along the highways. But unlike last year, I get the feeling that people are thinking about the future again, so at least things on the coast are starting to get past just surviving.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1862 comments Thank you for the update. What I saw last year shocked me, and forced me to correct my expectations about how long it takes for anywhere to recover from such disasters. After seeing the coast, I knew the work of repairing the damage would take years, not months. The long stretches where only the bases of the houses were left, with features recognisable even though the walls had been swept away... but last year we cleared an area to be re-planted as a rice field, which seemed really positive to me; provisions for that future you mentioned. I'm glad to hear that people seem to be getting past just surviving. I hope for a bright future.

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments I understand Karen Lord's The Best of All Possible Worlds echoes some of the themes of surviving a disaster.

message 5: by Maxi (new)

Maxi Wagner | 2 comments Thank you so much. I live in Sendai right now, and I try to help out as much as I can in volunteer programs.
Compared to what my friend told and showed (he was here at university at the time of the earthquake) a lot got cleared. Unfortunately, not so much was constructed (at least in the areas I visited).
But I noticed that people start to look forward, and also start to grow restless and tired of the feeling that nothing moves. When you start a conversation after work, you get a lot of (heated) discussions, that even people of the region think as uncharacteristic. There is a lot more debates going on and I have the feeling that it gives people strength because they feel less alone.