Great African Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived | Discussions > Tour d'Afrique: Stopovers 2013 - 2017 (M-Z)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Muphyn (last edited May 26, 2014 03:32PM) (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments 2013
Jan-Feb: Madagascar | Over the Lip of the World: Among the Storytellers of Madagascar by Colleen J. McElroy

Mar-Apr: Malawi | The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba

May-June: Mali | Monique and the Mango Rains: Two Years with a Midwife in Mali

July-Aug: Mauritania | Silent Terror: A Journey into Contemporary African Slavery

Sept-Oct: Mauritius | The Rape Of Sita & The Last Brother

Jan-Feb: Morocco | The Sand Child

Mar-Apr: Mozambique | Under the Frangipani

May-June: Namibia | Mama Namibia

July-Aug: Niger | Harmattan

Sept-Oct: Nigeria | TBC

Nov-Dec: Rwanda | TBC

Jan-Feb: São Tomé and Príncipe | TBC

Mar-Apr: Senegal | TBC

May-June: Seychelles | TBC

July-Aug: Sierra Leone | TBC

Sept-Oct: Somalia | TBC

Nov-Dec: South Africa | TBC

Jan-Feb: South Sudan | TBC

Mar-Apr: Sudan | TBC

May-June: Swaziland | TBC

July-Aug: Tanzania | TBC

Sept-Oct: Togo | TBC

Nov-Dec: Tunisia | TBC

Jan-Feb: Uganda | TBC

Mar-Apr: Western Sahara | TBC

May-June: Zambia | TBC

July-Aug: Zimbabwe | TBC

FINISH LINE!

message 2: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments I've listed the remaining Tour d'Afrique stopovers if we continue with the 'six countries per year' plan... it's going to take til 2017! Whoa!! :)

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (annehako) | 8 comments But you are missing South Sudan in this list.

message 4: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Yes, you're right, Anne! Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Probably missed it because it so young and, understandably, not included in A Basket of Leaves: 99 Books That Capture the Spirit of Africa! I'll fix it up tomorrow.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments But what will we do in 2017?! If my ancient and feeble mind is still functioning at that point, I will probably want to start all over again:)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

We might want to move on to Asia.

message 7: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
Osho wrote: "We might want to move on to Asia."

lol. this is the Africa group. ;)

message 8: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Andrea wrote: "But what will we do in 2017?! If my ancient and feeble mind is still functioning at that point, I will probably want to start all over again:)"

i think we can figure something out... :)

message 9: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Yeah, I think we'll be able to figure something out... like doing Africa Z-A... ;)

message 10: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments I finally managed to update our list of previous stopovers... 2014 looks like it's going to be an exciting year with Namibia, Nigeria and Rwanda coming up.

message 11: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Muphyn wrote: "I finally managed to update our list of previous stopovers... 2014 looks like it's going to be an exciting year with Namibia, Nigeria and Rwanda coming up."

:)
Looking forward to the visits/discussions

message 12: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 205 comments How are we going to chose reads from Nigeria? There are so, so, so many good active writers from Nigeria: Nnedi Okorafor, Chris Abani, Okey Ndibe, Yejide KilankoHelon HabilaNgozi Achebe are on my wish lists. Plus of course Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Teju Cole, Chika Unigwe,Lola Shoneyin among others. And that is not even getting down to the level of specific titles!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 124 comments I'm very excited to go see Teju Cole speak at an event in the spring! Nigeria is worthy of its own year.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (goodreadscombookslinger1) | 47 comments I agree Nigeria needs a year.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 124 comments I have another title to add to Nigeria - short stories! Happiness, Like Water by Chinelo Okparanta.

message 16: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

I would not be opposed to featuring a country for an entire year. :)

But how would you all like to select for Nigeria? I agree it's a very difficult task. We could choose an author and do a semi-free read...?

message 17: by Larry (new)

Larry | 26 comments I think a year on Nigeria is doable as there are so many writers active there. My nomination would be Looking for TransWonderland-Travels in Nigeria by Noo Saro-Wiwa. It was quite entertaining and a great description of contemporary Nigeria.

message 18: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 205 comments Larry wrote: "I think a year on Nigeria is doable as there are so many writers active there. My nomination would be Looking for TransWonderland-Travels in Nigeria by Noo Saro-Wiwa. It was quite entertaining an..."

This is on my TBR list. And definitely I will get around to reading it.

message 19: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

I read it and really enjoyed it. :). It is a great way to get an overview of Nigeria--the geographic landscape as well as history and social issues.

message 20: by Larry (new)

Larry | 26 comments I learned of the massive corruption plaguing the country now. When I lived there in the mid-sixties, bribing, or "dash", was present but not on this scale. Soo is quite an entertaining and capable writer.

message 21: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 205 comments Marieke wrote: "I would not be opposed to featuring a country for an entire year. :)

But how would you all like to select for Nigeria? I agree it's a very difficult task. We could choose an author and do a semi-f..."

I wonder whether we could consider doing four months for Nigeria which would allow us to do at least two main reads, plus say a couple or more "free"/"adjunct" reads. I suspect a similar issue will come up with South Africa. Then of course there is the fiction vs non-fiction matter.

message 22: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (last edited Jan 01, 2017 11:19AM) (new)

Tinea (pist) | 370 comments Mod
Any chance you could update the first post on this page, Marieke?

I think you can copy/paste this:

Sept-Oct: Nigeria | The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives

Nov-Dec: Rwanda | Our Lady of the Nile and We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families

Jan-Feb: São Tomé and Príncipe | Chocolate Islands: Cocoa, Slavery, and Colonial Africa and The Exiles of Crocodile Island

Mar-Apr: Senegal | Squirting Milk at Chameleons: An Accidental African

May-June: Seychelles | The Edge of Eden

July-Aug: Sierra Leone | Radiance of Tomorrow

Sept-Oct: Somalia | From a Crooked Rib

Nov-Dec: South Africa | Coconut

Jan-Feb: South Sudan | Emma's War and Beyond the River Yei: Life in the Land Where Sleeping Is a Disease

Mar-Apr: Sudan | Season of Migration to the North

May-June: Swaziland | When Hoopoes Go to Heaven

July-Aug: Tanzania | Desertion

Jan-Feb: Togo | TBC

Mar-Apr: Tunisia | TBC

May-Jun: Uganda | TBC

Jul-Aug: Western Sahara | TBC

Sept-Oct: Zambia | TBC

Nov-Dec: Zimbabwe | TBC

FINISH LINE!

message 23: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 27 comments Guinea?

message 24: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Guinea is listed in the first set of readings. This is the second set.

Times, thanks for updating it...I don't think I am able to edit Muphyn's post. Last time I tried reaching out to her but didn't get a response. I wonder about making a google doc and linking to it from the group homepage? I'm not the most technically savvy.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.