Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
MOVIE NIGHT: ARCHIVED > R1: Questions & Discussions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 330 (330 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments This thread is for everyone to ask questions if you are not sure about anything related to the team challenge.

message 2: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments so, do you make our teams or do we form them before we sign up?

message 3: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I'll team you guys up randomly.

message 4: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments The number of people in a team depends on how many people will sign up. It should be 4 or 5 people only.

message 5: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments What are the "keywords"?

message 6: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments i'll change and call them hidden words. Just like scavenger hunt, 5 words will be given. If you find any of them, you.'ll get one point each.

message 7: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Oh okay! Thanks!

message 8: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 675 comments just wanna know when we'll b starting

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments April 1, but I'll put you guys in teams on March 28

message 10: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) Pls do send reminders...... only if possible... Plsss .....

message 11: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments ok, I'll send one for you. Or maybe I'll send a group update since we haven't sent one in months.

message 12: by Sami (new)

Sami | 889 comments Sorry I'm really new to this (really new, I didn't know what scavenger hunts were either) group stuff - what do you mean by each of them? Like 'cover - 2pt' so does my team get a point for me posting a cover of the book I'm reading?

message 13: by Gisbelle (last edited Mar 16, 2013 04:32PM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Hi Sami! It's my fault. I should have explained more clearly than that. Anyway here is how it is going to be like.

We are going to start with movies (other groups have done music and TV shows already). So each week a movie will be chosen (by me) and I will post the requirements for that movie. The idea is trying to find a book that meets the most requirements in order to earn more points for your team.

Genre: if your chosen book is in the same genre as one given, you'll earn 1 point
Cover: if the cover of your chosen book fits the requirement, you'll earn 2 points
Plot: if your chosen book fits at least one of the plots given, you'll 3 points
Title: if at least one word in the title of your chosen book matches the words given, you'll earn 4 points
Name: if at one name of the main characters in your chosen book, or the name of the author is the same as the name given, you'll earn 5 points
Setting: if the setting (place or published year) fits the requirement, you'll earn 6 points

Hidden Words: each week 5 words will be given. All you need to do to find them in the book you have chosen for bonus points.

E.g.: let's say the chosen movie is Ruby Sparks

Ruby Sparks July 2012

She's Out Of His Mind

Directors: Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris.
Cast: Antonio Banderas, Alia Shawkat, Paul Dano, Deborah Ann Woll, Annette Bening, Steve Coogan, Elliott Gould, Chris Messina, Zoe Kazan, Aasif Mandvi, Wallace Langham, Toni Trucks, Eleanor Seigler, John F. Beach.

Overview: Calvin (Paul Dano) is a young novelist who achieved phenomenal success early in his career but is now struggling with his writing – as well as his romantic life. Finally, he makes a breakthrough and creates a character named Ruby who inspires him. When Calvin finds Ruby (Zoe Kazan), in the flesh, sitting on his couch about a week later, he is completely flabbergasted that his words have turned into a living, breathing person.

Genres: Comedy, Romance, Fantasy.

This week requirements
Genre: Fantasy
Cover: high heels, red dress, a running person (people)
Plot: financial problem, main character is a writer, main character is having problem with their romantic life
Title: Ruby, Spark(s)
Name: Antonio, Paul, Deborah, Steve, Elliot, Valerie
Setting: 2012, California
Hidden Words: novelist, couch, brother, film, tights/leggings

Once the requirement has been posted, everyone can choose whatever book their want to read. Remember the purpose is to find a book that will earn your team the most points possible.

So based on the requirement above, here are some possible books you can read:

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare
Genre: Fantasy (1pt)
Cover: red dress (2 pt)
setting: 2012 (6pt)
Total: 9pt

Ruby Red (The Ruby Red Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier
Genre: Fantasy (1pt)
Cover: Red dress (2pt)
Title: Ruby (4pt)
Total: 7pt

Let me know if you are still not sure of anything.

message 14: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) Gisbelle wrote: "ok, I'll send one for you. Or maybe I'll send a group update since we haven't sent one in months."

Oh !!! You are life saver XD
Thank you !!!

message 15: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments no biggie :)

message 16: by Sami (new)

Sami | 889 comments Thank you for taking the time out for such a thorough explanation! It completely makes sense now! What a wonderful idea

message 17: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Glad you find my explanation understandable :P Thanks to original creator for this challenge :) I'm just copying and making some changes.

message 18: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments eeee!!! Teams are up!!! I'm so excited!!! :D

so, Gisbelle, I assume on these new threads for each team, are we allowed to talk on them or is that ONLY for posting books?

message 19: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Yea it is for talking also :)

message 20: by Katrin (new)

Katrin Sample
Team 1
Player A: [link to review] Genre + Plot + 3 keywords: 7pt

What do you mean by link to review? Where are we supposed to post the review?

message 21: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments K. wrote: "Sample
Team 1
Player A: [link to review] Genre + Plot + 3 keywords: 7pt

What do you mean by link to review? Where are we supposed to post the review?"

Just copy the link to your review in GR.

message 22: by Janna (new)

Janna Marie (jannamarie) | 640 comments Honestly, I am a little worried about the reread rule. LOL

There is no way to really prove someone ACTUALLY reread the entire book...

message 23: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Janna wrote: "Honestly, I am a little worried about the reread rule. LOL

There is no way to really prove someone ACTUALLY reread the entire book..."

Yeah... That makes sense. So... no reread :)

message 24: by Gisbelle (last edited Mar 20, 2013 02:29AM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments DEAR ALL

I have put a lot of effort in this team challenge and asking nothing in return, but your participation.

In other challenges, some members sign up and then don't participate. I get it. We all have life to live. So I don't mind.

But in this team challenge, I am going to ban those who sign up and don't participate from future team challenges (if we are going to have any).

Thanks! :)

message 25: by Janna (last edited Mar 20, 2013 03:09AM) (new)

Janna Marie (jannamarie) | 640 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Yeah... That makes sense. So... no reread :)"

Oh, I hope no one gets upset at me for bringing it up now that's it gone! :/ I hope no one gets upset with you either, Gisbelle!

Though, I'm not upset it is gone, personally. It is better for everyone to ensure this is a fair game.

Thanks for working so hard to put together great stuff like this! :D

message 26: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Nah, I am sure they understand :)

message 27: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 672 comments Okay you're example has made a lot of sense :) Hope I manage to get through this one, or I will just have to copy my team members haha

message 28: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments lol... whatever floats your boat :) I hope everyone gets to know each other, as well as understands how the challenge works before we start.

message 29: by Yoly (new)

Yoly | 696 comments I'm do excited!!!!!!

message 30: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Yoly wrote: "I'm do excited!!!!!!"

Happy to hear that. This is like a test drive. If it goes smoothly, we'll have more team challenges later. If not, this is going to be a one time thing :)

message 31: by Sami (new)

Sami | 889 comments Are we still starting on April 1st? I can't wait! :)

message 32: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments yes, on April 1, dear. I want to start early too, but seems to me like most teams haven't chosen their team leaders yet.

message 33: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 672 comments Sorry its taking a while :)

message 34: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Nah, it is fine. Really.

message 35: by Janna (new)

Janna Marie (jannamarie) | 640 comments Okay, I have more questions. I feel bad asking so much, I just want to fully grasp the details before we start.

The rules say that you will post the information for each week on Saturdays. Though, the contest is from April 1 (Monday) to April 28 (Sunday). So will you be posting the first week the Saturday prior to April 1 to give us a full week?

message 36: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments don't feel bad :) I'm glad to answer.

I'm post the movie & requirement on 30 March, so that everyone has time to find book they want to read. But the book should be read on April 1.

The process will be repeated until April 28.

I'll post schedule later.

message 37: by Kat (new)

Kat (peace99) | 128 comments I'm confused about all these team stuff o:
& omg they start on my birthday though oo;

message 38: by Janna (new)

Janna Marie (jannamarie) | 640 comments Gisbelle wrote: "don't feel bad :) I'm glad to answer.

I'm post the movie & requirement on 30 March, so that everyone has time to find book they want to read. But the book should be read on April 1.

The process w..."

Thank you! I figured as much, I just wanted to be sure.

You're awesome!

message 39: by Kat (new)

Kat (peace99) | 128 comments Oh, ok I got this pshh.

message 40: by Kat (new)

Kat (peace99) | 128 comments Ugh, no rereads?
But that's not fairrr :c
My library has a limited number of Teen/YA books (only two shelves!)

message 41: by Kat (new)

Kat (peace99) | 128 comments Oh, wait I can't participate anyway, I'm a day late for sign up oops. That was my fault !

message 42: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments It's ok Kat :)

message 43: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Janna wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "don't feel bad :) I'm glad to answer.

I'm post the movie & requirement on 30 March, so that everyone has time to find book they want to read. But the book should be read on April ..."

lol... it's always good to clarify :)

message 44: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Dear all,

To make sure everyone understands how this challenge works, I am going to post a movie tomorrow. This is not for point, though. Just so everyone is familiar with the layout and everything.

Besides, please help contact the members in your team who haven't posted in the team yet. I want each team finish choosing their team leader0by Wednesday next week.

Thanks.

message 45: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments I just want to make sure to clarify. If it's allowed..........

If anyone has a team member that doesn't show up, I am willing to be a back up (I'm on stand by) if we end up needing one :)

message 46: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments that'd be great :) I might end up PM everyone to make they are still up for it.

message 47: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments ok

just let me know if I need to fill in for anyone's team :D

you can let me know pretty last minute too, and i'm sure I will still be okay to join

message 48: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Sample movie has been posted. Please check it out and let me know if you have any problem: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 49: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 675 comments I don't know if I'm suppose to post here but I'm going to be the team leader for team 1

message 50: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments great :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.