Once Upon a Time (TV Show) discussion

Season 2 > Episode 16: The Miller's Daughter

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) | 214 comments Mod
Soooo. I still haven't watched this one, nor the one that came before it. But I will. Tomorrow. Seriously.

message 2: by Siareen, Awww, thank you Klyme! How long did I not notice? (new)

Siareen | 144 comments Mod
Finally I think we're getting Cora's backstory. As if it isn't completely obvious by now that she is the Miller's daughter in Rumpelstiltskin. I think you can even say it's a fact by now.

I'll comment when I see the episode :)

message 3: by Katerina (new)

Goshness. I just watched it. Probably one of the most shouting at the TV inducing. There were some funny stuff... like the Snow White joke. Tell me when you watch it, so I can legitimately talk about it.

message 4: by Katerina (new)

Yeah... That was probably the worst "ship" I've seen. But, then again... It makes Cora so much more real.

I hope Snow really regrets what she did.

I realized two things today.

First of all, all the characters that I can think of in this show have "Only-Child" syndrome. As in, they are the only child in their family. (Hansel and Gretel aside...) Regina was the only child, Snow was an only child, Henry is an only child, Emma is, David grew up as an only child.... Cora was an only child, Rumple... we don't know, Bae was an only child, The Seven Dwarves.... That's just not even relevant. Oh! Tiny/Anton wasn't an only child... kinda. I mean, the list is endless. Ruby is an only child too. Belle had no siblings that we know of. Paige was Jefferson's only kid.

WHAT IS WITH THESE PEOPLE?! Snow and Charming should get reproducing so Emma can have a sibling... And Henry can have an aunt/uncle?

Their family tree is messed up.

Second point I'd like to make.... I don't remember. I'll come back when I do.

message 5: by Katerina (new)

I remembered. Took like 2 seconds

The thing I appreciated a great deal from the OUAT writers was that there were no real love triangles. Yes, there was unrequited love (Sidney's case). There was blackmail (Sheriff Graham). And, yeah, arranged marriage (Abigail and David). But in all honesty, every character has that one other person they were meant to be with. There was never any real love triangles, because there was never a case when an outsider fell in love with someone either already in a relationship or who loved someone else, unrequited.

But now, with Bae being engaged, I can't help but feel disappointed. Is that all you got, OUAT writers?

message 6: by Siareen, Awww, thank you Klyme! How long did I not notice? (new)

"Purest heart I know"
Pha. Right. I'm sort of surprised how much David doesn't know about his wife...
I almost liked Snow again, but then the end came. But I can solemnly state i really don't like David. He's just tooooo good.

So, Cora and Rumpel. I can't decide if I like how they changed the original Rumpelstiltskin or not...

The episode was ok. Cora making Emma and Neal disappear just made me laugh so much :)

message 7: by Katerina (new)

Cora and Rumpel... Almost makes me like those two better than Rumple and Belle. I mean, really. Corumple is so much more intense than Rumbelle. I mean, not just the shipping names, but their stories. Cora has so much to her story... I almost wish she hadn't died so soon. And UGH. Regina's back on the revenge path. Gosh. Now she actually does have something against Snow.

I can't figure out how Prince Henry went from tall and relatively handsome... to... >.< I also wonder how they went from living in a palace to not living in the palace.

message 8: by Siareen, Awww, thank you Klyme! How long did I not notice? (new)

Lol, I was wondering that about Henry as well...

I just realized something. I think Cora is the first person who managed to trick Rumpel with a deal and get away with it. But then Rumpel got his revenge and got Regina to push Cora into the mirror, but he never really got a baby from Cora...

message 9: by Katerina (new)

But the thing is, she didn't intentionally trick him. It just ended up like that, when she made her ultimate decision.

But, Rumpel did ultimately get Regina. He twisted her and manipulated Regina to such an extent that at the end of the day, she was his. Also, Rumple tried, i think, twice to get a child after Bae left. Once with COra, and once with Cinderella.

message 10: by Katerina (new)

Oh, and young Henry, right now, he's really making me mad. he's really out of character too. He's vicious.

message 11: by Siareen, Awww, thank you Klyme! How long did I not notice? (new)

I know. She tricked him by tearing her heart out...

Oh, right, I forgot about Cinderella. Notice how in both those cases, a masked ball was involved?

Um, where did we even see Henry this episode?

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly McClymer (kellymcclymer) | 3 comments Only child syndrome is right. I think Belle, in the literature, has sisters (she's the youngest and prettiest, I think). Pinocchio is yet another only child.

It disturbs me that Rumple isn't more torn about doing harm to his grandson. Seems like he's just waiting for everyone to be occupied elsewhere before he makes his move.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly McClymer (kellymcclymer) | 3 comments I *think* Bae being engaged is a different thing than a love triangle. He's engaged to a non-fairytale character, so his battle is the choice between making a real future in a magic world and a non-magic world. I could easily see Bae and Emma making a decision to live in the non-magic world with Henry (Snow is already on board with that, but Charming clearly wants to go back).

message 14: by Siareen, Awww, thank you Klyme! How long did I not notice? (new)

Ya, Belle has three older brothers who love her and three older sisters who are really jealous of her.

I really hope they don't go love triangle, but what are the chances?

message 15: by Katerina (new)

But you have to remember, this is a Disney sponsored television show. And in the Disney version, Belle has no siblings. I'm pretty sure Gaston wasn't in the traditional version either....

I'm not quite sure Snow is completely on board with that. They can hardly leave Storybrooke right now. It's not much of a life, from what I can see. Plus, they are in way too close a range with enemies.

Rumple is a strange case. I thought he'd be more invested in Henry because they were related. But I guess his investment ends after one generation. The scene between him and Neal was cute, wasn't it?

My Henry reference comes from the episode before this one. He said to Emma, "I liked the pizza. It tastes good and doesn't lie." It's like he's turned into a vicious little child!

message 16: by Siareen, Awww, thank you Klyme! How long did I not notice? (new)

No, he isn't. And the father used to be rich and isn't crazy. And the Beast almost dies because he can't bare be without Belle.
The Beast allows the father to rest in his house, but then he takes a rose for Belle, and that's when the Beast imprisons him. In short, the Disney version changed a bunch of things :)

I don't think she means staying in or leaving Storybrook. Rather, staying in or leaving Earth...

It was very cute.

Oh, right. Suddenly he hates Emma. Just like he hated Regina. He needs to get used to the fact that as a kid, he isnt' always going to know the truth...

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly McClymer (kellymcclymer) | 3 comments Klymene wrote: "But you have to remember, this is a Disney sponsored television show. And in the Disney version, Belle has no siblings. I'm pretty sure Gaston wasn't in the traditional version either....
."

I didn't realize that! (been a while since I've seen a Disney movie). I think it is fair that Henry is a little miffed with Emma, but given that she saved Storybrooke, like he wanted, *and* allowed him to have a relationship with Regina, I would think he would not put her lie on the same level as all of Regina's evil.

I like how every episode makes me want to know how the new twists in the relationships are going to go. I had suspected that Neal would be Bae, but I'm still surprised by how they're deepening and developing it so it doesn't seem like a gimmick. Can't wait for tonight's episode.

message 18: by Katerina (new)

I knew the original version of Beauty and the Beast. The 2 biological sisters were a nice touch, because we relate sisters so much to Cinderella, we forget that biological sisters can be just as vicious.

The problem with Henry is that he hated Regina on the basis that she lied to him and that she was the evil queen. Mainly on the basis that she was the evil queen. Now that both she and emma have lied to him, he still stays with Emma because she's the "savior." Honestly? I have never pitied Regina more. She tried so, so, so hard, and Emma and the rest just never want to see good in her. I love the line she gave to Snow in Granny's: "I was always the Queen, but have you ever considered it was you who added "evil" to it?"

message 19: by Siareen, Awww, thank you Klyme! How long did I not notice? (new)

Yes, I love that line too. Regina is the most misunderstood and mistreated characters in the show...