Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more... discussion

Uvi Poznansky
This topic is about Uvi Poznansky
Uvi Poznansky (March 11th, 2013) LIVE Q&A

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Uvi Poznansky
Uvi Poznansky is a California-based author, poet and artist. You can view daily posts of her writing and art on her blog, http://uviart.blogspot.com. Check out her goodreads page here: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

A Favorite Son by Uvi Poznansky Home by Uvi Poznansky Apart From Love by Uvi Poznansky

message 2: by Uvi (last edited Mar 10, 2013 09:02PM) (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Thank you so much Ellen for this great introduction, and for the opportunity to introduce my work here. In addition to my blog, http://uviart.blogspot.com I also have a website for my art, poetry, animation, and short stories. Check it out here: http://uviart.com .

And hi everyone! Would love to talk to all of you about my work!

My latest news:
In response to popular demand, my novel, Apart From Love, as well as my ebook A Favorite Son are now in production–soon to become audiobooks! The novel will be told in two voices, Ben’s and Anita’s, as the interplay between the two of them is the essence of the story. Having listened to many auditions for the roles, I have chosen two amazing narrators!

On a different note:
By the end of the day Monday, two winners will be chosen out of a hat from among those of you who post questions for me here. The lucky winners will get to choose a complementary ebook edition of either my novel, Apart From Love, or my new-age twist on an old story, A Favorite Son (winner's choice.)

message 3: by Eleonore (new)

Eleonore Caron (ecaron) | 7 comments I have a question about A Favorite Son , what does it mean, "covering his arm with the hide of a kid" ?

message 4: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Eleonore wrote: "I have a question about A Favorite Son , what does it mean, "covering his arm with the hide of a kid" ?"

Great question Eleonore! A kid has two meanings: a goat, and a child. Both meanings apply here. Jacob contemplates cheating his blind father, Isaac, by wearing a goatskin coat on his arm, to make his father think he is Esav.

message 5: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Had a strange day, Goodreads being down, and then even when it came up I could not post here. Glad that it is back to normal now!

message 6: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Eleonore wrote: "I have a question about A Favorite Son , what does it mean, "covering his arm with the hide of a kid" ?"

Eleonore, here is a bit more about A Favorite Son:

"I knew it the very next morning, and I still know it now: My brother hates me. He has removed me from his mind, stricken away any thought, any memory about me. I am dead to him. The scary part is, that being dead will not stand in the way of him killing me, if ever he lays eyes on me again.
It is an odd feeling. Have you ever faced it? Being dead to someone you envy; someone you miss, too; someone who knows you intimately and, even worse, has the chutzpa to occupy your thoughts day in, day out. It grinds down on your nerves; doesn’t it?
Trust me, being dead to your brother is not all that it is cracked up to be, but it does set you free—oh, don’t act so surprised! It frees you from any lingering sense of obligation. Brother, you say to yourself. What does it mean, Brother? Nothing more than a pang, a dull pang in your heart.
You have betrayed him. Accept his hate."

Yankle, in A Favorite Son

My retelling of the biblical story of Jacob and Esau takes the time to concentrate on two things: the contemplation of the crime, and the mental anguish afterwards. Here is another view of my Ceramic sculpture of the character. It is called "What if my father touches me."

message 7: by Eleonore (new)

Eleonore Caron (ecaron) | 7 comments What an interesting sculpture! Are you the artist?

message 8: by Eleonore (new)

Eleonore Caron (ecaron) | 7 comments I also would like to know when I could listen to 'Apart from Love' as audio books are my new favorite way to enjoy stories or books. Can you let me know when and where I could get one?

message 9: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Eleonore wrote: "What an interesting sculpture! Are you the artist?"

Yes I am! The covers of my books are my own art. Here is the image of the art for the audiobook (before adding the title & author name):

and here is my art for my book, Home:

message 10: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Eleonore wrote: "I also would like to know when I could listen to 'Apart from Love' as audio books are my new favorite way to enjoy stories or books. Can you let me know when and where I could get one?"

Yes, the audiobook is in production as we speak! Here is some information about the narrator for Anita: So today I would like to introduce the narrator behind the voice of my character, Anita. By now we are beginning to lay out our plan for the dual-narration of Apart From Love. In this process we join our imagination and our creative forces, which is quite different from writing a novel, which takes place entirely in the author's mind.

To find her I listened to numerous auditions of talented narrators and actors. But when I heard her voice, I knew instantly that I need not look any further. What set Heather Jane Hogan apart was not only her sultry voice, not only Anita's Southern twang, and not only the heartfelt interpretation of the text, but most of all, this: she did not play Anita--she WAS Anita.

So in designing the cover for the audiobook, I have already added her name in the bottom left corner of the image. Graphically, there is the 'busy factor' consideration: taken together, the book title, author name and the names of the narrators add up to a lot of text, but I wanted to avoid cluttering the image.

This is why I chose the color of the font to be very similar to the cool turquoise background behind it--just a little bit brighter, so as to separate from it in a subtle way. You will also notice that the shadow cast down from the letters is soft and fuzzy, no hard edges, which helps separate the letters from the background over which they are floating.

Here are a few quotes of what Heather says about herself:

"I work as a Voiceover. In case you’re not sure what that is, Webster’s definition of a voiceover is, “the voice of an offscreen narrator, announcer, or the like.” For me, it was an easy transition from stage and film acting to voice. I love telling a good story, so voiceover has been a great fit for me."

"In 1999, I went skydiving. I’ll never forget it. It wasn’t what I expected. I thought it would be exhilarating; that I would land and shout something like, “WOO HOO!!”… but… at least for me, it was more of an overwhelming experience. Afterwards, I just wanted to sit and contemplate my belly button."

"In 2003 and 2004 I won the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), hosted by http://www.nanowrimo.org. They host a challenge every year during the month of November for you to write a novel. It doesn’t have to be good, no one reads it for proof (the contest is honor-based) – but you have to write 50,000 words in one month (the definition of a novel). It’s a great and challenging exercise, even if you’re not a writer."

"I sing in the car. Loudly. I’m that woman you see on the highway, belting out tunes as if she were on stage somewhere and blissfully unconcerned that other people on the highway can see me."
"I love roller coasters. The more twisty-turny-upside-down-back-and-forth-hair-raising, the better."

message 11: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments When the audiobook is done (I assume it will take a couple of months from now) I will announce it everywhere I can, including Goodreads. At this point it will be available on Amazon (as a third edition, in addition to the print and ebook editions.) You can join my Q&A group to keep in touch with me, because I will announce it there for sure:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/6...

message 12: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments I will also announce the winners who will get to choose a complementary ebook edition of either my novel, Apart From Love, or my new-age twist on an old story, A Favorite Son (winner's choice.) But because the Goodreads' server was down for a great portion of time today, I want to be fair to readers who could not post questions here today. Therefore, I will announce it tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, I would gladly go on answering questions about my work!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Due to problem with Goodreads, Uvi Poznansky has extended her spotlight Q&A to being a weeklong interaction.

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (blkel14) | 2 comments In Apart From Love, there are two alternating narrators. What would you say were the appeal and benefits of writing the book from the perspective of multiple narrators? What were some of the difficulties?

message 15: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Ellen wrote: "Due to problem with Goodreads, Uvi Poznansky has extended her spotlight Q&A to being a weeklong interaction."

Thank you Ellen!

message 16: by Uvi (last edited Mar 12, 2013 07:57AM) (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Brittany wrote: "In Apart From Love, there are two alternating narrators. What would you say were the appeal and benefits of writing the book from the perspective of multiple narrators? What were some of the diffic..."

Great Question Brittany!

My novel, Apart From Love, is an intimate peek into the life of a uniquely strange family: Natasha, the accomplished pianist, has been stricken with early-onset Alzheimer’s. Her ex-husband Lenny has never told their son Ben, who left home ten years ago, about her situation. At the same time he, Lenny, has been carrying on a love affair with a young redhead, who bears a striking physical resemblance to his wife--but unlike her, is uneducated, direct and unrefined. This is how things stand at this moment, the moment of Ben’s return to his childhood home, and to a contentious relationship with his father.

And like you said, Brittany: The story is told from two points of view, Ben’s and Anita’s, which gives me an opportunity to illustrate how the same events, seen from different angles and through difference experiences in life, are interpreted in an entirely different way.

The important thing to know about your characters is that each one of them is gripped in some emotion, has an overwhelming need which may be at odds with another character. While your mind 'embodies' this character, you must live in her skin and see things through her eyes. Then, when you move to embody another character, you 'swim' out of one skin and into another. At every moment, you must be totally committed to the point of view of the character whose skin you have just entered. This transition, this 'swimming in and out of character skins' is the most challenging thing to me, in writing this novel.

message 17: by Eleonore (new)

Eleonore Caron (ecaron) | 7 comments I'll remember that "swimming in and out of character skins". That is so interesting.

message 18: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Eleonore wrote: "I'll remember that "swimming in and out of character skins". That is so interesting."

:) Thank you Eleonore... It is how it feels..

message 19: by Uvi (last edited Mar 12, 2013 06:57PM) (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments And the winners are... ◦°˚˚ ♫♥
Drum roll please...
♫ °˚˚ ✿*‿*) ♡♥ ◦°˚˚
Eleonore and Britanny have posted great questions here, so they are the winners for tonight! Congratulations to you!!!

So please, message me your email and which one of my books you would like to get as your prize, in either .epub or .mobi edition.

Now, like Ellen said, this is going to be a weeklong interaction. So I invite everyone here to join in with more questions, and on Monday night, March the 18th I will announce two more winners, from those of you who come in and engage me with more great questions!

☻♥ ☻ (●̮̮̃•̃)●̮̮̮̮̃̃•̃̃) ♥☻ ◠‿◠)
/♥\./♥\ /█\ /█\ /♥\
✰¸.•*¨`*•.. .||. .||. ||_ ||_.||. ¸.•*¨`*•..

message 20: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments "With that, she gave a slight nudge to the camel, turned it swiftly around and with a clip and a clop away she went, taking her chances elsewhere, into a rainy fog.
Never again would I see her. Upon my return to this place, more than two decades later, I would learn that my brother never forgave her for loving me, loving me only..."

Yankle in A Favorite Son

This is a quick color sketch, using acrylic paint on paper, looking at a white-clad model, From another direction than the first sketch, here: http://uviart.blogspot.com/2013/03/th...

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (scubaham) Can you describe how the time you spent in Israel contributed to both the beauty and personal message of your artwork and also your telling of the story in A Favorite Son?

message 22: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Michael wrote: "Can you describe how the time you spent in Israel contributed to both the beauty and personal message of your artwork and also your telling of the story in A Favorite Son?"

Great question Michael!

Israel is my birthplace, and the setting for this biblically inspired story. Knowing the climate and the desert landscape served me well to create the backdrop for A Favorite Son, which you can tell by reading this exceprt for example:

"And from the dust of the earth I awoke, to a clap of thunder. I knew instantly what it meant: The dry spell had broken! In a matter of minutes, the crevices and cracks around me filled up; they were bubbling with water.
Rain washed over me, lightly at first. I opened my mouth and let it trickle in, let it break my thirst. I drank it up, in big, long gulps. I was intoxicated! I was alive! I sprang to my feet and it was just then that I saw, coming out of nowhere, a river gushing, rushing into the valley.
I had heard of flush flooding before—but never did I stand in the midst of it. I started up the slope. My path was slippery, for a torrent of rain poured down mercilessly upon the earth. At one point I stopped to try and catch my breath. Was it my imagination? Between one thunder clap and another, I could hear a sound, a delicate clip clop coming towards me from the top of the mountain.
And look: Out there in the damp distance, against the backdrop of a clouded sunrise, you could detect two humps traveling in unison along the ridge. In a little bit, a camel came into view. And up there in the saddle, riding like a queen, wrapped in her goatskin coat, was no other than the woman I admired, the woman I adored: My mother..."

message 23: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments As for my artwork, I take my inspiration from diverse sources, as you can see here:

“What matters is only what’s here. I touch my skin right under my breasts, which is where the little one’s curled, and where he kicks, ‘cause he has to. Like, he don’t feel so cosy no more. Here, can you feel it? I reckon he wants me to talk to him. He can hear me inside, for sure. He can hear every note of this silvery music.
It ripples all around him, wave after wave. I can tell that it’s starting to sooth him. It’s so full of joy, of delight, even if to him, it’s coming across somewhat muffled. Like a dream in a dream, it’s floating inside, into his soft, tender ear.
I close my eyes and hold myself, wrapping my arms real soft—around me around him—and I rock ever so gently, back and forth, back and forth, with every note of this silvery marvel. You can barely hear me—but here I am, singing along. I’m whispering words into myself, into him.”

This is in the voice of Anita, my character in Apart From Love.

And what she is envisioning is motherhood, which is the subject of my sculture by the same name. It is hard to imagine this is actually bronze, because the patina is made to look like marble. I polished the piece until it became completely smooth to the touch, as if nature--by gusts of wind and the flow of water--has buffed this rock over time, the way pebbles come to be.

But in the back, I 'carved' into the piece, so as to make it look as if it has broken. This makes for an interesting balance, as if you try to make a rock stand on edge. But more importantly, it is symbolic, for self-sacrifice is the nature of motherhood.

message 24: by Uvi (last edited Mar 18, 2013 10:52AM) (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Doing the happy dance! My ebook, A Favorite Son (soon to come out in also in print and audio editions) is climbing the ranks on Amazon! Take a look, it is currently #14 (in paid books) in two categories...

message 25: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 17 comments Michael wrote: "Can you describe how the time you spent in Israel contributed to both the beauty and personal message of your artwork and also your telling of the story in A Favorite Son?"

Thank you so much Michael for your great question. You are a winner! Choose which one of my ebooks you would like to win as a prize--Home, Apart From Love or A Favorite Son--and message me your email, and the preferred format (pdf, epub or mobi.)

Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Apart From Love (other topics)
Home (other topics)
A Favorite Son (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Uvi Poznansky (other topics)