The Study of the Mind: A Psychological Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > April 2013 Book of The Month Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I have may started this a little early but suggestions are now open for April book of the month read.

Suggestions will remain Open until March 21st and Poll will open on the 22nd.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4 comments I'm new to the group so I don't know if this book has been read yet. The name of the book is "Subversive Dialogues" Theory in Feminist Therapy by Laura S. Brown.

We briefly touched on Feminist Theory in my Counseling Theories class, and I found it to be something I want to get better acquinted with. Although, CBT is my theoretical orientation, we all know therapies are not one size fits all.

This would give me a reason to finally read the book. Here is the ISBN #9780465083218

Barb

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina (Criss1e) | 1 comments I just began reading this book last night and was already really hooked to want to keep reading. Many gave this book great reviews, which gave me high hopes, because I'm always looking for a book to teach me something new, think a different way and challenge ideas and opinions I have already; however, some reviewed this book to be completely ordinary and offering information that was basically common sense they already knew to be obvious and true. I haven't read far enough to form an opinion but looking forward to what else this book has to offer!

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead

message 4: by Bethanne (new)

Bethanne (bethwriter) | 30 comments Mod
I second "Daring Greatly" by Brene Brown. I love this book so far.

message 5: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) I'll put forth A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy. It's a moving account of a true life double healing through psycotherapy.

message 6: by DANIEL (last edited Mar 13, 2013 06:23AM) (new)

DANIEL GOMES (danrg) | 1 comments Well, I really like this title:

The Philosophy of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Stoic Philosophy as Rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy by Donald J. Robertson
The Philosophy of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Stoic Philosophy as Rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy

it provides a good view of how the ancients dealt with psychological matters and what are the echoes that the techniques presented in the ancient writings - especially in the writings of the roman stoics - have in today therapeutic approaches.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney These so far are all great suggestions!

Natasha (Vasilly) (vasilly) | 3 comments Daring Greatly is on my reading list. I wouldn't mind reading that one. Has anyone read Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Meby Ellen Forney? It's a graphic memoir about the author's struggle with biopolar disorder. It was pretty good.

message 9: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 2 comments Daring greatly, yes!

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I will get this poll up tomorrow

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.