[asmb] Book Club discussion

Book of the Month > Watchureadin 3.0 - March 2013...

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments I kinda thought someone else would snag it this time. :D

Anyway, for all 3 of ya that float through this particular club, here's the thread for people to post their specific book that they'd like to read before the month is out!

So post! And maybe tell us about the book when you are done so the rest of us can consider it for our own future attempts at reading superstardom. Or something. :D

Discuss!

message 2: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments My chosen book for this month [a little late because I've been sucked into a Dresden hole and don't feel like rushing things. :D ] :

The Zen Of Zombie : Better Living Through the Undead by Scott Kenemore.

Chosen as my continued effort of a year of Nerdly things, zombies are big right now and it's March. Zombies march. Get it? Get it? :P Yeah, maybe next month I'll consider reading a book on comedy writing. :D

message 3: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
I kinda get all OCD and wait for you to make it. >_<

This month I don't really have any goals. I just wanna read! I would like to try to read something I've already bought and have on my Kindle though... versus buying even more new books.

message 4: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments That's what I've been doing with this [for the most part] - chosing a book that I already have since I have soooo many. :D It won't stop me from stopping at the evil evil bookstore but if I'm just browsing lately I don't get really get anything.

...coffee doesn't count because it's cold outside and I'm walking home. So there... <.< >.>

message 5: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

See, I have this damned Kindle so I can buy books 24/7. I can't even keep myself from the store to stop buying books! D= And one click buying is so dangerous.

I need to just take my credit card off of my account and limit myself monthly with gift cards or something. That would be my best bet.

Coffee never counts when it is cold!

message 6: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments Continuing the catch-up game...

For March, I read 'The Zen Of Zombie : Better Living Through the Undead' by Scott Kenemore. Another book that I kind of breezed right through. This is the kind of book to have on your coffee table in order to poke subtle fun at the whole self-help craze but at the same time, it's still a fun read. It's broken down into two parts, the 24 Habits of Highly Effective Zombies and Your Guide to Complete Zombiefication in 90 Days. The first part is a zombie tongue-in-cheek take on the ever present 24 habits of effective people list that pops up in every other self-help book published. The second part takes you through a shuffling baby-steps program to become your own simple goal-defined zombie [with that goal of course being to let nothing get in your way of getting that brain :D ].

Recommended for people who like zombies and have a sense of humor. Because if you take chapters on zombie love seriously, you might need something stronger than a self-help book. Always remember, zombies don't play with themselves. :D

message 7: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I failed miserably in regards to reading what I've already bought versus buying new material. Dare I say epically failed?

I have been reading a bit more outside of the urban fantasy genre, so there's a plus!

message 8: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments Robot wrote: "I failed miserably in regards to reading what I've already bought versus buying new material. Dare I say epically failed? "i>

If there was a rule that said you had to read what you've bought vs not buying more delicious new, I could easily join you in the epic fail boat. :D

Well, I could but I don't think all the new books I've picked up in the few months would fit. :D

message 9: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Time to go paperless!

message 10: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments Robot wrote: "Time to go paperless!"

I needs to touch the paper...need the touch and smell to take it all in...

...need to go sniff that old copy of the divine comedy again because it always smells good... :D

message 11: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I must admit, I miss actual books. I really wish I could get book bundles for a discount.... like I do with ebooks and audiobooks now.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments I think paper books will always be in existence, some of us just aren't ready to give them up. They may become more expensive for our children, but I think they'll be a market for them as long as we have those good associations with an actual book you can heft in your hand. Plus I find it easier to go back and re-read something in a printed book. I get frustrated paging back in an ebook in a way I just don't in a real book. But that may just be a personal problem.