The Opportunist (Love Me with Lies, #1) The Opportunist discussion

Does Caleb go to Olivia's wedding? (Metaphor or Literal?)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julie Alisha wrote: "When I first read the ending of The Opportunist I was a little confused as to whether Caleb was actually there attending Olivia's wedding looking in from outside the chapel or whether this was met..."

I don't believe Caleb was at the wedding, I think this is Olivia's way of saying goodbye to Caleb in order to move on with Noah. Plus I don't think Caleb would have just stood by and watch Olivia walk down the isle to marry Noah, he would have stopped the wedding. In the Thief teaser Caleb was upset and totally in shock to hear that Olivia was getting married. Cammie told him about Olivia's wedding to torture Caleb and pay him back for what he did to Olivia in Rome.

Julie Alisha wrote: "Julie wrote: "Alisha wrote: "When I first read the ending of The Opportunist I was a little confused as to whether Caleb was actually there attending Olivia's wedding looking in from outside the c..."

Also, if Caleb had physically been at the wedding, I don't think Olivia would have calmly just walked down the isle towards Noah and married him. I was very sad when I read the Epilog in the Opportunist, but I was also happy that Olivia was finally able to move on with someone who loves her more than she loves him.

I have mixed feelings about who Olivia should end up with. I honestly like Noah, and I think he is the very best guy for Olivia. As for Caleb, I think it's always been about the chase for him. He never really ever had ALL of Olivia, and when she did FINALLY go to him in Rome; her turned her way and once again chooses Leah. If he really had wanted to be with Olivia, he would have come clean with her right away about faking the amnesia.

~IreneOust~ I don't know what to think about Noah. Do we know enough about him to judge? Has Olivia settled for him because he was at the right place at the right time? I honestly don't know.

I keep trying to put myself in Olivia's situation and can't because I would have never left and stopped fighting for Caleb, even after biatch Leah showed up at my apartment.

And yes, I absolutely did cry at that last paragraph of The Opportunist (I remember I stayed up till almost 3am to finish the book so I was beyond tired, sitting in my bed bawling my eyes out!). I don't think I've ever cried at a book before that one (there has been a few since though, LOL!) but that Epilogue really did for me.

And to answer your original question, I agree with Julie who said it was Olivia's way of saying good bye to him. So no, I don't think he was there.

Amalyn Alisha wrote: "When I first read the ending of The Opportunist I was a little confused as to whether Caleb was actually there attending Olivia's wedding looking in from outside the chapel or whether this was met..."

I actually read the teaser and thought the exact same thing. When I finished The Opportunist I thought it was metaphoric but now I am pretty convinced he was there and needed some closure and acceptance that Olivia was happy and able to move on. I did ball my little eyes out though when she finally put all her emotions out for him and Caleb wanted so much to reciprocate so much it was painful for him. But from the teaser for Thief it seems that he already thought Leah was pregnant even though she probably wasn't at that time. I feel he was just trying to do the honorable thing and stay with Leah so no I don't think he was weak. The tree was symbolic though since it had multiple meanings for them. It was where they first spoke, first made love so I see why Tarryn would finish it that way.

I cannot wait for Thief, I feel Olivia and Caleb will get their happy ending, those poor two have been through enough. I just hope Tarryn gives it to us!

Julie Alisha wrote: "Amalyn wrote: "Alisha wrote: "When I first read the ending of The Opportunist I was a little confused as to whether Caleb was actually there attending Olivia's wedding looking in from outside the ..."

No, it wasn't "THE" tree they made love under. They were on their way back from the camping trip and pulled over somewhere. The "Tree" was on their college campus somewhere. I Truly believe that Caleb wasn't at the wedding because I don't think Olivia would have gone through with marrying Noah. Remember, she's going all into this "love someone more than you love yourself" kick because she wants to be a better person for Noah. But you know I could be totally wrong. A thought just occured to me.... He could have been there, outside the church, not actually at the wedding, but just observing and Olivia catches sight of him. Remember, he's still waiting for the birth of his child and he still has hopes for his marriage with the birth of his child as something to look forward to. Leah hasn't show him yet just what a horrible mother she will be and he hasn't found out about all of Leah's lies yet. So he actually could be there, but we won't know until we hear from Caleb himself. All this analyzing and trying to figure out WTF is going on is making my brain hurt.

Amalyn Alisha wrote: "Amalyn wrote: "Alisha wrote: "When I first read the ending of The Opportunist I was a little confused as to whether Caleb was actually there attending Olivia's wedding looking in from outside the ..."

Sorry, my comment was probably confusing. I didn't mean it was "the" tree. I just meant it was symbolic because Caleb finally let her go by a tree since they've had special moments under trees in general. I really do think he went to say his final goodbye to her and to show Olivia it was ok to move on since they couldn’t be together. Sigh... lol hopefully I cleared myself up :)

Amalyn Julie wrote: "Alisha wrote: "Amalyn wrote: "Alisha wrote: "When I first read the ending of The Opportunist I was a little confused as to whether Caleb was actually there attending Olivia's wedding looking in fro..."

Yea I think I was a bit confusing in my comment.. probably contributed to your hurt brain.. lol too much analyzing. I just meant it was symbolic because Caleb finally let her go by a tree since they've had special moments under trees in general but I didn’t mean it was “The” tree. But I agree, since Leah was pregnant he thought Olivia and him were just not meant to be. Do you think Ella is really Caleb’s or the brother’? I actually still think it’s Caleb’s for some reason.. well I definitely can’t wait to read Thief and know for sure.. :)

Bobbie Jo After reading the teaser to Thief I do think that Caleb was there at the tree watching her!

Bobbie Jo I can't wait to get inside of Caleb's head, I think we will find that he has been equally as cunning and sneaky as Olivia was!

Amalyn Alisha wrote: "Amalyn wrote: "Julie wrote: "Alisha wrote: "Amalyn wrote: "Alisha wrote: "When I first read the ending of The Opportunist I was a little confused as to whether Caleb was actually there attending Ol..."

I actually found the interview... omg I am so excited that floozy Leah cheated on Caleb!! Even though I feel bad for poor Ella. Now I seriously can't wait for Caleb to pull a robbery on Noah and steal Olivia!! Thanks for finding the link :)

~IreneOust~ I too feel sorry for Ella. The only good thing that was going for her in life was Caleb and now he isn't even the [real] father. Poor kid.

Amalyn Alisha wrote: "Irene wrote: "I too feel sorry for Ella. The only good thing that was going for her in life was Caleb and now he isn't even the [real] father. Poor kid."

I know, poor little girl. When I finished ..."

Estella I forgot her name..ah shame on me! lol Caleb even chose Estella’s name with Olivia in mind.. poor thing. Well I guess Caleb is the uncle now instead so at least Estella will have him in her life regardless... :)

~IreneOust~ I am going to re-read those for sure. Just not sure if I want to do it soon or closer to the release of Thief.

Amalyn Yes definitely re-reading! I might do it closer the release so everything is fresh... lol I seem to be doing that with a lot of other books instead of reading new ones.. sigh

Emarald It's funny, I'm doing the same thing. There just aren't many good books with a different twist out right now, so I'm re-reading favorites.

message 16: by Vicka (last edited May 12, 2013 07:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicka Liu Oh My God, this book is mindblowing!! They should fight for what they love and be with each other already. Love shouldn't be so difficult. It's really sadddd how it turned out.
I don't think Caleb loves Leah, to him he's just a partner in life, it's Olivia that he truly loves.

I think Leah is possessive, she's not a good person, she just wants to win, that's all. Her love for Caleb is nothing compared to Olivia's love for him.

I can't get rid of what happened in Rome. How can he leave just like that?! She went the other side of the world to look for him, he just left? even though he knows that he still love Olivia and that his love for her will never die? that no one can replace her EVER?! Why???
Please let them be together!

Xaria (Smut Junkie) I actually read that last paragraph for like.. 5 times just to understand what's really going on. But that part where she looks back and sees Caleb smiling under that damn tree made me cry. Gahd.

Julie Phrem wrote: "I actually read that last paragraph for like.. 5 times just to understand what's really going on. But that part where she looks back and sees Caleb smiling under that damn tree made me cry. Gahd."

Once you read Thief (Caleb's POV) you realize that Caleb wasn't actually standing under the tree. It was Olivia's way of saying goodbye to Caleb and moving on with Noah.

Xaria (Smut Junkie) @Julie Yeah.. I've already read it. It was good :)